By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance, metascore 47

Pyro as Bill said:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Just Dance off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Just Dance a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of Just Dance focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare Just Dance with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '09 sometime in the near future.

The problme with IGN is they do this all the time. They do it so much now that they don't even bother to apologize with it. Especially in regards to the Wii now. However so many other sites do it as well it doesn't stand out anymore until they pull something like their Just Dance review. Another recent one they pulled this with is Wii Music. Now Nintendo could have explained the game more before it came out but IGN clearly trashed it for the sake of trashing it because it wasn't Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Nintendo had dared to do something different and they did it well. However it wasn't a rhythem game so so called reviewers hated it. However majority of those that actually played enjoyed it.

Around the Network

Hahaha lmao that was funny

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

4.5 out of 5 in Amazon sounds more reliable than IGN reviews

psrock said:
cAPSLOCK said:
Barozi said:
well consumers can buy whatever they like.
But big sales doesn't automatically equal quality.

Personally it's another game, where I hold my head in shame and ask myself what happened to gaming...
sad sad sad

I'd be willing to argue that sales are the ONLY measure of quality.  It's a commitment of time and money when you purchase a game, and while hobbyists have no problems buying 5-6 games at once that they'll never finish, most people are not so willing to piss their money away. That doesn't just include people with families but also college students and other people around the same age who see gaming as just something else to do as opposed to their whole life.

Why did Mario Kart Wii sell more than Modern Warfare? The answer is simple: not enough people thought Modern Warfare was worth the effort to drive to a store and throw down 3-8 hours worth of pay for the experience.

I've been holding my head in shame wondering what's happened to gaming since around 2002. What took you so long? It's been going to shit since it was taken over by emotionally retarded virgins cranking out the same shit over and over again to the same group of 15 year old walking wallets willing and eager to gobble up the same shit sandwich with slightly different bread.

I'm glad gaming is moving away from being blockbuster driven, because it would be nice if gaming got its balls back.

What the hell are you talking about, seriously. When was gaming not about blockbusters? It just that the genre we used to see as big games have lost creativity and passed by better ones. Games are better now and more diverse as much as we complain about it. 

Sales has never equaled to quality in any medium of life, just demand and the market. More people have seen Family Guy than the Wire, but in terms of quality it's not even close.

COD4 came out in 2007 and is still in the top most played games in both the PS3 and 360. Where are you getting this 3-8 hours stuff.

You walk around in shame, that's your problem. Look at the games coming in 2010 from all consoles, this might be the greatest year in gaming ever, think about this for one second:

November 2010

Halo Reach = 360

Zelda = Wii

GT5 = PS3

Gaming is alive and doing well.

Gaming wasn't about blockbusters in the 8 bit and 16 bit era definitely. When you have like 10 dudes working on a much more simple game you don't need 2 million sales to break even.

And no, we don't have more diverse games now. We have 1999 in HD. Gaming has been at an almost total creative standstill for 2 generations and somehow all these ancient PC games and playing online have been repackaged on a console like it's new and isn't ground that's been treaded damn near 20 years now.

Can you seriously say the difference between 2001 and 2010 has been a bigger jump (technologically AND conceptually) is greater than 1991 and 2000?

As far as the 3-8 hours, I meant 3-8 hours of work to pay for the game. Meaning someone has to work at their job roughly 3-8 hours in other to have enough money to purchase the game. Hell even I got way more than 8 hours of Modern Warfare and it drove me crazy :P

As far as Family Guy and The Wire, and the usual Big Mac vs Mario Batali and trying to compare it to video games:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XzWWcritSFoC&pg=PT495&lpg=PT495&dq=degree+of+disanalogy&source=bl&ots=JltwXqhqPv&sig=c8BR7j-rInTLJ3IS8rBarAR7zto&hl=en&ei=B1yHS-6rE8uGkAW23vhF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=degree%20of%20disanalogy&f=false

In other words, the differences are far too great to draw a decent analogy. 

I'm even a bit hesitant to use movies or books as a comparison for video games because the a $5 book doesn't even compare to a $50 game. There's more of a decision process involved as the cost of the item increases.

I'm not sure those 3 games you picked really help your argument.

Halo Reach: Halo in HD. Sure it may be a different story, but how will it be fundamentally different from Halo 1-ODST? Meaning, if you lower your graphical standards, could I put this game the original xbox? If online is the argument, then fine ...a PC made in 1997. In other words, what is this game doing in 2010 that could not be done in 2001?

GT5: Don't get me wrong, I'm buying this game and anticipating the hell out of it. The argument remains: what is this game doing that couldn't be done in 2001?  Probably not fair since a driving simulator can't exactly have space monkeys melting the world or some shit while driving, it can just do the simulation more accurately than before.

Zelda Wii: We don't know anything about this game yet. It could very well be the same old shit just with more waggle fidelity, or it could be you actually sword fighting Ganon. Could swing either way.

But in all 3 cases, back in 2001 would any of these games blown your mind if you were told about them? Like some future dude coming back and explaining these games to you.

Now imagine it's 1991 and you're being told about The Sims, or Resident Evil, or Thief, EverQuest, Diablo, StarCraft (or WarCraft), Tony Hawk, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Tekken, Counter Strike, Final Fantasy IX, MechWarrior.

In at least 2 of the 2001 to 2010 cases you can say "X game in HD" and explain 99.9% of it. How do you explain the Sims to someone in 1991? Or an RTS? Survival Horror?

I'd say 2 of those 3 games you picked actually hurt your argument because they just demonstrate that the video game industry hasn't done shit for 10 years besides make what they know is safe and will sell big (blockbusters). 

Edit: and if you look at a lot of those games I mentioned you'll be hard pressed to find any that got so much as 1 TV commercial or any kind of treatment of blockbuster status. 

In the same vein, can you name 1 major blockbuster game that redefined gaming like WarCraft or Counter Strike? How many games that alterer the course of video gaming were done in basements?

That's it, I'm only looking at UK sites from now on since they seem to be the only 'journalists' that can actually write and have a good sense on the gaming community that they are representing. I'm getting tired of this site too with too many trolls and fanboys crowding out any logical argument that might be possible. Man the internet was and still is so full of promise but is just getting dragged down by illogical whackos with a soapbox :(

Current Favorites:
Wii - Muramasa, MH3, Metroid Trilogy, RS2, Okami, RE4, COD, Dead Space, Scarface
PC - L4D, TF2, BFBC2, Killing Floor, Aquaria, Warsow, many UDK indie games
Mods - MechWarrior:Living Legends, Star Wars: Galatic Warfare, PVKII, Goldeneye Source, L4D mods
PS3 - Demon Souls, Way of the Samurai 3
Social Modding Club: ModDb | Steam

Around the Network

--OkeyDokey-- said:
It should be worst game ever to sell 5 million copies when all is said and done. I'm glad a third party publisher has finally figured out the recipe for success on Wii.

What about Mario Party Wii?  It was so, so bad.

Kynes said:
It's one of the best party games you can find in any console, especially if women and alcohol are in the mix.

I trust this guy.  He knows what he is talking about.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

c0rd said:

There are no buttons to be pressed, no unlockables, no tiers of songs, no progression of any kind.

Yeah. Since when did games need any of these things? Especially unlockables, which is one of the most annoying "features" of current games we're forced to put up with. Even Nintendo can learn from this - it's idiotic when playing Mario Kart or Smash Bros at someone else's house with a group of friends and being forced to play with less content (less characters, vehicles, stages, etc) simply because the owner did not yet "earn" it.

edit: Wanted to add to those claiming this is the "worst best-selling game ever," that this game is getting great user reviews. The game is being praised, really. This can't be said about the other low scoring high sellers like Deca Sports or Game Party.

While unlockables aren't always the greatest, I don't really buy all of what you said.

What is wrong with a memory card?  I know some people don't have memory cards, but they are very inexpensive.

Buy one and put all of your saved stuff on it.  You know, like when you take your Miis to your friend's house.

As for Deca Sports, at least it is Mario Party Wii bad.  Now that games was just horrible.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

"What is wrong with a memory card? I know some people don't have memory cards, but they are very inexpensive.

Buy one and put all of your saved stuff on it. You know, like when you take your Miis to your friend's house."

The Wii doesn't work that way.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I think IGN is right. If I attach the controller to my fan I get the same score as I would get playing serious.

This game lack any form of gameplay since the motion detection is broken.

I only see this game working with NATAL.

FreeTalkLive said:

While unlockables aren't always the greatest, I don't really buy all of what you said.

What is wrong with a memory card?  I know some people don't have memory cards, but they are very inexpensive.

Buy one and put all of your saved stuff on it.  You know, like when you take your Miis to your friend's house.

As for Deca Sports, at least it is Mario Party Wii bad.  Now that games was just horrible.

As far as I know, you cannot transfer Smash Bros Brawl / Mario Kart Wii data. I'm forced to bring my own Wii around if I want to play with everything unlocked, and I do, as the people I know don't bother getting everything (thankfully the Wii itself is tiny).

What do you think about that? I think these kind of unlockables are more harmful than good. Buying SSBB first day, wanting to play it with friends, but unable to actually try out all the characters... I don't see how that benefits me at all.

"Just come back after I unlock all the characters and stages, guys!"