By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is God of War 3/ Uncharted 2 possible on 360?

well we have yet to see a first party exclusive for the ps3 go full 1080p so.....

imagine the possibilities.

Around the Network

who cares? I mean, those games (or any franchise from Sony) will never be made for other than a Sony system. And they are still the best technically speaking. When you see a game that can rival those PS3 exclusive above in BOTH content and technology, let me know. There are none on the 360 as of now.

gekkokamen said:
who cares? I mean, those games (or any franchise from Sony) will never be made for other than a Sony system. And they are still the best technically speaking. When you see a game that can rival those PS3 exclusive above in BOTH content and technology, let me know. There are none on the 360 as of now.

if your not interested as the rest of us are then don't post anything in this thread.

in other words if you have nothing good to say then dont say anything at all.

priteshmodi said:
huaxiong90 said:
Hisiru said:
huaxiong90 said:
Hisiru said:
huaxiong90 said:
I don't see better textures on the Xbox 360 from these pics nor from what I've played, but ok, it's opinion, I won't argue.

Are God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, and Uncharted 2 possible on the Xbox 360? It's difficult to say since they all run on proprietary engines coded strictly for PS3.

Exactly. Also, Microsoft needs more first party/second party studios.

The problem here (imo) isn't the hardware, the problem is engine+first/second party studios, that's why the PS3 is showing better results.

The only game I can think of that uses an in-house engine coded for the Xbox 360 is Forza Motorsport 3. And the results showed. With the PS3, you have MGS4, LittleBigPlanet (physics intensive), Killzone 2, Uncharted, Insomniac's engine, etc.

Recently Microsoft set up a studio called Firebird Studios which supervises Xbox 360 exclusive software technical development, similar to Sony's ICE team, so we'll certainly be seeing better results in the future.

Oh, good to know that they are trying something! What about that X-Engine?

The 4a engine you mean? The one for Metro 2033?

No. Hisiru means an internal engine that Microsoft has created for first party devs that will take advantage of the quirks and nuances of the 360's hardware set up. More info: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=78013

Since that article I haven't heard anything about it though. The 4A games engine is very very impressive also.

Here's some info on it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metro-2033-4a-engine-impresses-blog-entry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article

FTA regarding architecting on PS3 then porting to XBOX:

"We don't have dedicated threads for processing specific tasks in-game with the exception of a PhysX thread," explains Shishkovtsov. "All our threads are basic workers. We use task-model but without any pre-conditioning or pre/post-synchronising. Basically all tasks can execute in parallel without any locks from the point when they are spawned. There are no inter-dependencies for tasks.

It looks like a tree of tasks, which start from more heavyweight ones at the beginning of the frame (to make the system self-balanced). The last time I measured the statistics, we were running approximately 3,000 tasks per 30ms frame on Xbox 360 on CPU-intensive scenes with all hardware threads at 100 per cent load."

And again, similar to Criterion's multi-threading work, 4A Games has found that a similar implementation works on the Sony console too.

"The PS3 is not that different... We use 'fibres' to 'emulate' a six-thread CPU, and then each task can spawn a SPURS (SPU) job and switch to another fibre. This is a kind of PPU off-loading, which is transparent to the system. The end result of this beautiful (apart from somewhat restricting) model is that we have perfectly linear scaling up to the hardware deficiency limits."

While the engine is described as a complete cross-platform development environment, there is to be no PlayStation 3 SKU of Metro 2033. The game will launch on PC and Xbox 360 only. However, the Sony console played a big part in the development work for the core tech.

"From the start we selected the most 'difficult' platform to run on. A lot of decisions were made explicitly knowing the limits and quirks we'll face in the future," explains Shishkovtsov.

FTA regarding KZ:

Looking at the engine spec published on Digital Foundry yesterday, there are many similarities in terms of technologies with Guerrilla Games' epic Killzone 2: pretty much the standard other developers have to aspire to in the console realm when it comes to first-person shooters. Guerrilla's engine is quite remarkable, geared completely to the specific hardware strengths of the Sony platform, but Shishkovtsov evaluates its performance from a different perspective.

"Their implementation seems to be badly optimised," he observes. "Otherwise why do they have pre-calculated light-mapping? Why do they light dynamic stuff differently to the rest of the world with light-probe similar stuff? From our experience you need at least 150 full-fledged light-sources per frame to have indoor environments look good and natural, and many more to highlight such things like eyes, etc. It seems they just missed that performance target."

Really, doesn't look like there's anything significant on a PS3 that can't be done on the 360 with the exception of more content due to BlueRay, especially considering the larger memory size and more flexible shaders on the 360.  Engines are built to the strengths of the system - ex. Ninja Gaiden II on 360 had more enemies due to more flexibility in vertex shaders, whereas in Sigma 2 they had to cut the number of enemies but instead used more horsepower on the graphics due to the RSX restrictions, as well as less alpha blending scenarios which the PS3 is notoriously bad at.

So whether these games/engines are possible on the 360 would probably depend on how well the engine is written, but I'd bet anyone would be hard pressed to name a specific engine feature that absolutely could not be implemented on the 360 that could be done on the PS3, except of course BlueRay movie playback.

@gaming_addict24

no need to be rude dude, it's just my opinion on the topic. I'm allowed to do that. And will say another thing: Those games are possible on the 360. If Guerrilla and Santa Monica Studio were given the task to make them from scratch (no port) for the 360, they would find a way. Multiple discs + installs (if they wanna keep it IDENTICAL more than 3 discs for each KZ2 and GOW3, and KZ2 multiplayer part on a disc or 2 of its own) or SOMETHING would be required but they could pull it off (no True HD audio or HD FMV, of course, since that would be pushing it to the impossible). I think if the HDD was mandatory for any of those big PS3 games, it would be even more possible.

Around the Network

Why graphics are so important? Wasn't graphic whoring the thing that made newest FF linear and sucky? If you want immersive graphics above consoles try PC.

And my answer for the thread.

Uncharted & God of War 3 -> maybe

themanwithnoname said:
Isn't Gears one of the few games that makes use of the 360's extra RAM? So technically it isn't possible on the PS3. Not that it makes the slightest bit of difference to me, but yeah, Forza 3 probably isn't possible on the PS3 either. Also, anyone saying Uncharted 1 > Gears 2 graphically needs an eyecheck imo.

no one needs an eye check here, ive played through gears 2 although it looks good its not as good as uncharted 1, just when you get of the 1st sections of gears 2 have you seen the snow sections near the building it looks like mud literally. latter levels look good in art but almost all the textures seem to be made of a glass effect. char models animation lighting are better on uncharted 1. uncharted 2 is simply uncomparable to gears 2 its light years ahead. gears 2 also uses sprites for trees in flying sections.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

No, they are both not possible as Sony owns both IP's. Just like Halo isn't possible on the PS3 as MS owns the IP.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

No, they are Sony owned IPs...jsut like Halo isn't possible on PS3.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...