By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is God of War 3/ Uncharted 2 possible on 360?

heruamon said:
Reasonable said:

I'd say that the PS3 and 360 are more or less equal in potential graphically. The PS3 might be able to slightly edge it, if properly leveraged, however in practice they are more or less even.

There is no doubt the PS3 could support more CPU centric gaming elements, there's little denying that on a number crunching basis it can outperform the 360, but few games seem to be trying to push this further. I'm talking about the same visuals but having far more CPU intensive AI or physics.

Overall the PS3 has seen the slightly better games visually, however as I've said before this is most likely because it has received the most console specific engines/titles.

Only a few titles on 360 have truly custom engines, most use multi-platform engines and ironically due to its easier to leverage architecture in most cases 360 versions of titles tend to slightly edge (I mean very slightly these days) the PS3 version.

Cost of development is a barrier as well, so I expect to see continued focus on the SDK and methods of reducing this.

Also, the PS3 does have a slight advantage with BR over DVD but again this has only really reared it's head on a few occasions. However I guess it remains a potential advantage. Again though, only exclusives will really take advantage of it. Both Rage and FFXIII for example, were clearly designed with 360/DVD in mind and had elements of their gameplay changed from what BR could support to something more suitable for DVD environment.

I think Forza 3 looked good as a 360 custom title, and Alan Wake is looking very good too. Mass Effect 2 and Gears showed just how well Unreal Tech can perform on 360.

However, with the custom engines driving Uncharted and Killzone, GT5, LBP, etc. the PS3 has seen the better visuals/physics overall so far I'd say. However we're not talking huge differences. Sure, Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 are the benchmarks for consoles right now, but they're not that far ahead of Gears 2 or Mass Effect 2.

What I find interesting is that in past generation, or leaps in computing capability, medium hasn't play that great a role.  Granted, games are getting larger, as the generations progress, but not as much on the consecutive iterations.  It's been all about faster processors, better video cards, and more memory.  While I think it would behoove M$ to fund the development of a game engine to fully maximize the 360, they won't, simply because they know Epic and others would cry uncle, and start to get pissed off.  At the very least, they should fund an effort to utilize something like unreal engine to totally and redically customize it for use on the 360, and launch a flagship title on it...maybe say like....oh...Brute Force?  M$...are you listening...please?

Yah, medium hasn't been massive I guess.  Previously on consoles you didn't load, it was all from the disk, while on PC the shift from CD to DVD meant installing 1 disk instead of installing 3 disks as you always played off the HDD anyway.

I guess this gen medium might matter more and more between PS3/360 but I'm not convinced of it.  I think you'll see some RPGs where PS3 will have a small advantage, such as FFXIII with the CG cut-scenes and no disk swapping - and the odd exclusive that has more textures, content, but I think for most games a DVD still gives them enough space if properly used.

I'd like to see some more custom engines on 360 just to see how well the perform, but with 360 in some ways designed more for generic engines anyway, the point may be a moot one.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Deneidez said:

So... If get this right, you may do cherry picking and nobody else who is against you may not? Hah, do you know how stupid that sounds? Drake might look worse in those screenshots because there might be some lod going on. And about lower resolution. Thats how they do bullshots. They render very large pictures and lower their resolution.

Anyway, just like I said. Its all about how you allocate your resources.

Heres human head demo that can be run on early 2000 comps. Theres just about nothing but one head and just about all resources are used to show head with realistic lighting. Photorealistic? A bit more than any game. Practical for games? Not really.

Where have I done any cherry picking? Those snapshots look awful. And doctored, too.

If that MP picture can look better, then something is wrong.

I understand what you're saying about allocating resources, but your choice of pics are awful. And something's not right about them.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Based on that..

PS3.

Graphics yes but the real question is will the 360 run it the same as the PS3 without downgrading it? the answer is no.. with a blu-ray and a 7 cores as a head start, I don't think the 360 could run the game on par with the ps3 even if they remade it for the 360 from scratch.

I know disc swapping is not really an issue to some people, like me i don't really care about swapping discs, but multiple disc on an action game is just not right, I mean GOW3 is not an RPG it's an action game that you can beat in a day or two. GOW3 is like 35gig overall so you'll be swapping 4 discs in 2 days.

Screenshots do not do justice for KZ2. You have to see the game in motion on an HDTV to truly appreciate it.