By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII (360) Not HD | Resolution, Anti-Aliasing Analyzed

kowenicki said:
tuscaniman said:
How many flamebait threads are going to be created about FFXIII? Are you Sony fans so butthurt that the 360 got your precious FF series that you will create endless threads to try to bash the 360's version? I'm glad the PS3 finally has a port of a game that looks better, congratulations Sony. Either way the graphics on this game are pretty weak on either console so it doesn't really matter.

pretty much...

The funny thing is that even though they claim they will not buy it, they will be the first people in line on March 9th.

I remember hearing the same ordeal with CoDMW2, how many of them went and bought it day 1? Lol.

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:
How many flamebait threads are going to be created about FFXIII? Are you Sony fans so butthurt that the 360 got your precious FF series that you will create endless threads to try to bash the 360's version? I'm glad the PS3 finally has a port of a game that looks better, congratulations Sony. Either way the graphics on this game are pretty weak on either console so it doesn't really matter.

Actually, the 360 version is a port. And it shows.

I will however agree on the lazy port to the 360. But in the end there is nothing we can do about it. I felt the same way with Bayonetta, and I had to go with the 360 over PS3.

NightAntilli said:
bbsin said:
numonex said:
Let me see the XBox 360 version is a SDTV screenshot and the PS3 version is the HDTV screenshot. Apples being compared with oranges. Huge difference between SD and HD resolutions.

Would you kindly compare HDTV XBox 360 version with HDTV PS3 version? We would be comparing apples with apples.

BTW: Neogaf is extremely biased towards the PS3 and I would not expect a fair and reasonable analysis in comparing a PS3 and 360 multi-platform game.

I do not believe those would be the final screenshots of the XBox 360 game.
IGN and Gametrailers would provide a fair and reasonable analysis of FFXIII on PS3 and 360.

Ignorance + damage control = your post

First off, both 360 and PS3 screenshots has a 720p HUD. It's some textures that are lower res, not the screen itself.

Second, the guy who analyzed the screens is from digital foundry, and used the same method they always do, no bias there. (The SAME method that displayed the "sub-HD" textures of many PS3 titles).

Choose what to believe for yourself, but the facts are clear. The only thing I would question is the source of the screenshots (which If I'm correct, is from a pro-Xbox site, or SquareEnix's shoddy PR department). I doubt the screens are from some Sony loyalist that's attempting to sabotage the 360 version, but it's still possible.

I don't trust the whole thing altogether.. I mean, if they could post X360 buttons on PS3 screens, why couldn't they post native 720p buttons on SD screens? I seriously don't know what to believe right now. It's all too shady. And then there's the screens which have a cursor on them O.o And even the cursor seems to be low quality (or might be just me..). Take a look at this one for example and look at the quality of the cursor on the top left and give me your opinion:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100347377.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100351002.jpg

Well, if for some reason that it's a SD screen, that happened to be scaled to HD, with the textures kept at 1024x576 (which is higher than SD but lower than "HD") and a 720p HUD pasted on.... then the biggest concern is SquareEnix's reasoning behind all the trickery if (and it's a big IF because you're assuming a lot) they're trying to make both games look equal. Why in the world would SquareEnix make the 360 version look worse and send it out to IGN and other websites.

Regardless, based on these screens, I don't really think that the 360 version looks THAT bad, Are the differences noticeable? yes, but it's not like it looks like a Wii or PS2 game.

We won't get to the bottom of this until the game is out and someone like digital foundry compares.

Some people post quite a lot in this thread for not caring about the differences.

The thing is, these things matter only IF you know about them.

Some People who play the supposedly "inferior" version will notice the sligtest glitches and jaggies and bits of bad textures and think "oh, i bet this is better in the other version"

At least it happened to me when i borrowed Bayonetta for PS3 from a friend, until i saw the 360 Version on another friends Console, and in the end it wasn't that much of a diffrence as i had been led to believe by threads like this one.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:
 Either way the graphics on this game are pretty weak on either console so it doesn't really matter.

Watch everyone ignore this.

nojustno said:
tuscaniman said:
 Either way the graphics on this game are pretty weak on either console so it doesn't really matter.

'cause it's wrong.

kowenicki said:
Xen said:
nojustno said:
tuscaniman said:

'cause it's wrong.

Slightly over the top perhaps... but the graphics arent all that are they? 

Some of the textures, especially ground textures are really bad.

But it is just grass. Don't see why we should even care.

Xoj said:

you know this are recording devices.

the way to get screenshot it's streaming using a device to PC, and then take a screenshot, since the game itself doesn't have a screenshot feature.

same way people use to stream their games to justin.tv, generally they hide the mouse away.

Well that's not the best way to capture a screen.. Amateurs may do it that way, but a company..?? You get major losses in quality that way, and I don't know how they did it since printscreen doesn't show your cursor.. I mean, you're gonna tell me a company that designs games and can connect their pc to any console easily doesn't have a capture card or a way to get a screen without quality loss? O.o Well they must be able to since they did it with the PS3 version.. Why the X360 screens are so low quality is beyond me. You would at least expect the cursor to be sharp if the screens were direct feed... 

Truth does not fear investigation

*"High-definition video or HD video refers to any video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, and most commonly involves display resolutions of 1280×720 pixels (720p) or 1920×1080 pixels (1080i/1080p). This article discusses the general concepts of high-definition video, as opposed to its specific applications in television broadcast (HDTV), video recording formats (HDCAM, HDCAM-SR, DVCPRO HD, D5 HD, XDCAM HD, HDV and AVCHD), the optical disc delivery system Blu-ray Disc and the video tape format D-VHS."
*wiki
does this put paid to such nonsence?

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups