By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII (360) Not HD | Resolution, Anti-Aliasing Analyzed

Let me see the XBox 360 version is a SDTV screenshot and the PS3 version is the HDTV screenshot. Apples being compared with oranges. Huge difference between SD and HD resolutions.

Would you kindly compare HDTV XBox 360 version with HDTV PS3 version? We would be comparing apples with apples.

BTW: Neogaf is extremely biased towards the PS3 and I would not expect a fair and reasonable analysis in comparing a PS3 and 360 multi-platform game.

I do not believe those would be the final screenshots of the XBox 360 game.
IGN and Gametrailers would provide a fair and reasonable analysis of FFXIII on PS3 and 360.

Around the Network

The resolution he found was..? 1024×576. You know what standard that is? PAL widescreen resolution (also known as PAL+, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PALplus), which is SD. So, these are SD shots..

As for the foliage, the PS3 version is closer to the lake than the X360 version. The bushes will probably be streamed in if you get closer....

Truth does not fear investigation

kowenicki said:
Xen said:
kowenicki said:
Xen said:
Ouch.

And for everyones info - anything less than 720p is not HD. Halo 3 is sub HD, Cod 4 and MW2 are too... they are all 640p.

All in all, the 360 version is noticeably worse looking compared to the PS3 in these screens. PS3 has both more vibrant colours and much less jaggies.

Are you really saying "ouch" to this???  Wow.

The girl with the gun.... its hard to say which is beter imo.

Overall, the difference is hardly worth bothering about... again...

Do you say ouch when the difference in multiplats is bigger than this in favour of the 360... on almost every game, or do you play it down like I do....?

I'm sick and tired of these comparison screen threads... so anal and childish.. its boring.

Oh.... and I say this in all the comparison threads, even when its a 360 favourable one... go check.

It's hard to say? It's extremely obvious with the less vibrant colours+more jaggies.

And yeah, I say it in threads where the difference is obviously in the 360's favor. I bashed the hell out of Bayonetta PS3 (be getting it on the 360 later on, that's the only way to play it) and also wondered how the hell the 360 can have a much better version of BF: BC2 (it's as obvious as this is, 360 colours are much deeper than PS3 ones, much like in this comparison).

So, yeah, I do.

Can I suggest relaxation therapy then... or perhaps something that makes you realise the trivial nature of this?

Some games look a bit better on the PS3, some games looke a bit better on the 360...  and this matters?

It's trivial when the company making the game doesn't tout equal versions on every chance they get. That is not the case.

Random Canadian said:
Swordy said:

Who cares honstly, it's not like PS3 Onlys didn't buy Bayonetta because of the horrible port.

thats exactly the reason I didnt buy it or most any of EA's early crappy ports.

I may rent them but the dev sees little to no money from that which is what I think a crappy port is worth.

Edited for accuracy

I Agree Bayonetta sold horribly on the PS3 and a lot of my friends refused to buy it because of how bad the port was compared to the 360 version

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

Not much difference, only for graphics ethusiasts to truly care about.
I mean, its all about gameplay, right?
Although I must say RPG games may have good graphics to really get the player in.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Around the Network
numonex said:
Let me see the XBox 360 version is a SDTV screenshot and the PS3 version is the HDTV screenshot. Apples being compared with oranges. Huge difference between SD and HD resolutions.

Would you kindly compare HDTV XBox 360 version with HDTV PS3 version? We would be comparing apples with apples.

BTW: Neogaf is extremely biased towards the PS3 and I would not expect a fair and reasonable analysis in comparing a PS3 and 360 multi-platform game.

IGN and Gametrailers would provide a fair and reasonable analysis of FFXIII on PS3 and 360.

Ignorance + damage control = your post

First off, both 360 and PS3 screenshots has a 720p HUD. It's some textures that are lower res, not the screen itself.

Second, the guy who analyzed the screens is from digital foundry, and used the same method they always do, no bias there. (The SAME method that displayed the "sub-HD" textures of many PS3 titles).

Choose what to believe for yourself, but the facts are clear. The only thing I would question is the source of the screenshots (which If I'm correct, is from a pro-Xbox site, or SquareEnix's shoddy PR department). I doubt the screens are from some Sony loyalist that's attempting to sabotage the 360 version, but it's still possible.

How many flamebait threads are going to be created about FFXIII? Are you Sony fans so butthurt that the 360 got your precious FF series that you will create endless threads to try to bash the 360's version? I'm glad the PS3 finally has a port of a game that looks better, congratulations Sony. Either way the graphics on this game are pretty weak on either console so it doesn't really matter.

"TW: Neogaf is extremely biased towards the PS3 and I would not expect a fair and reasonable analysis in comparing a PS3 and 360 multi-platform game."

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Neogaf extremely biased towards the PS3 ? What a joke.

Besides, the guy who did the pixel counting (MazingerDude) wrote a few PS3/360 comparison articles for Eurogamer/Digital Foundry. He's pretty reliable for that kind of stuff (at least the pixel counting and IQ analysis).

bbsin said:
numonex said:

First off, both 360 and PS3 screenshots has a 720p HUD. It's some textures that are lower res, not the screen itself.

Second, the guy who analyzed the screens is from digital foundry, and used the same method they always do, no bias there. (The SAME method that displayed the "sub-HD" textures of many PS3 titles).

Choose what to believe for yourself, but the facts are clear. The only thing I would question is the source of the screenshots (which If I'm correct, is from a pro-Xbox site, or SquareEnix's shoddy PR department). I doubt the screens are from some Sony loyalist that's attempting to sabotage the 360 version, but it's still possible.

I don't trust the whole thing altogether.. I mean, if they could post X360 buttons on PS3 screens, why couldn't they post native 720p buttons on SD screens? I seriously don't know what to believe right now. It's all too shady. And then there's the screens which have a cursor on them O.o And even the cursor seems to be low quality (or might be just me..). Take a look at this one for example and look at the quality of the cursor on the top left and give me your opinion:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100347377.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100351002.jpg

Truth does not fear investigation

NightAntilli said:
bbsin said:
numonex said:

I don't trust the whole thing altogether.. I mean, if they could post X360 buttons on PS3 screens, why couldn't they post native 720p buttons on SD screens? I seriously don't know what to believe right now. It's all too shady. And then there's the screens which have a cursor on them O.o And even the cursor seems to be low quality (or might be just me..). Take a look at this one for example and look at the quality of the cursor on the top left and give me your opinion:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100347377.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/106/1069859/final-fantasy-xiii-20100217100351002.jpg

you know this are recording devices.

the way to get screenshot it's streaming using a device to PC, and then take a screenshot, since the game itself doesn't have a screenshot feature.

same way people use to stream their games to justin.tv, generally they hide the mouse away.