By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony - 3rd party games dont sell on wii or DS (agree or disagree?)

Sony - 3rd party games dont sell on wii or DS (agree or disagree?)

agree 105 37.91%

disagree 172 62.09%

Total:277

"What publishers have said is they're not going to spend the resources on Wii... In my job, we compete against Microsoft and Nintendo, and we're competing for resources. So when I walk into a publisher, I ask, 'Where are you guys pushing your resources?' In the past, it was 'Look how hot the Wii is,' or 'Look how hot the DS is,' and 'We should put resources there.' They did that and realized, 'You know what, third-party product just doesn't sell on that platform.' So now they're taking those resources, coming back to us and saying, 'Sony we're going to be able to provide you with that exclusive content,' or 'We're going to put more engineers on it and figure out to maximize the Blu-ray and get more out of PS3.' That's what we're seeing now,"

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-benefiting-from-wii-publisher-backlash/

Around the Network

People in glass houses...

jarrod said:

the most hacked system ever :p.

though in japan ;).

Well of course Sony PR is going to say that haha. Wouldn't be as appealing if they said, "well the competition sales a lot of third party games as well, factually more than us, but we are still a better platform." Better to leave out some details.

What people keep seeing is, developers are saying they can't sell things on the Wii or Ds but that's not true and they know its not true. What is true, is developers can't put infinite amount of games on the Wii and DS and expect ALL OF THEM to sell well. I think the publishers saw the large expanding user bases and thought if they release quantity, probably over quality, that the growing userbases will just pick them up in masses. Problem is when every developer thinks that, majority of them will fail and only the top brands, top quality, or ones that stand out will succeed. Which in a lot of cases were the Nintendo games but still some big 3rd party titles. Hell because of the Wii and DS userbases, a lot of that bulk ended up selling decent, compared to not even having anything potentially on other platforms.

But you never see anyone report those kinds of things, and obviously wouldn't expect the competition to say that. But just PR, don't look into it. MS and Ninty say the same things.

Around the Network

According to VGC, the amount of 3rd party software sold on the Wii:

206.35 million units

According to VGC, the amount of 3rd party software sold on the PS3:

168.17 million units

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Xoj said:
jarrod said:

though in japan ;).

There's just as much DS and Wii piracy as PSP piracy, if not more.  I'm tired of this excuse...

In Japan, it's basically a Monster Hunter box.  Wow.

jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:

though in japan ;).

There's just as much DS and Wii piracy as PSP piracy, if not more.  I'm tired of this excuse...

KH box, and FF box, recent games in japan performing  decently.

@therepublic graphic, WOW, considering wii have twice the install base.

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:

though in japan ;).

@therepublic graphic, WOW, considering wii have twice the install base.

There is no wow. Except that Wii's received crap third party software and still sells more of it than PS3 manages to do.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:

though in japan ;).

KH kinda stalled short.  Considering everything that went into it, it really should've cleared a million.  It would have on PS2...

What FF are you talking about?  Everything FF that wasn't FFXIII tanked recently (Gaiden on DS, Crystal Bearers on Wii, Dissidia Universal Tuning on PSP).