By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony - 3rd party games dont sell on wii or DS (agree or disagree?)

Sony - 3rd party games dont sell on wii or DS (agree or disagree?)

agree 105 37.91%

disagree 172 62.09%

Total:277

I'm sure a lot of 3rd party developers are canceling their DS projects to develop PS3 games...

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

And by his logic, the PS3 doesn't sell.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Wii's Million sellers:

• Rock Band;
  • Call of Duty: World at War;
  • Monster Hunter 3;
  • Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles;
  • Guitar Hero World Tour;
  • Resident Evil 4;
  • Mario & Sonic;

DS' Million sellers:

• Spectrobes;
  • Scribblenauts;
  • FFXII: Renevant Wings;
  • FFIV;
  • DQV;
  • Guitar Hero on Tour;
  • Professor Layton;
  • Cooking Mama;

As always, Sony reps are talking crap. Incredibly, every time they talk about Nintendo, they say something nonsense.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
hunter_alien said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:
Xoj said:
jarrod said:

People in glass houses...

the most hacked system ever :p.

though in japan ;).

There's just as much DS and Wii piracy as PSP piracy, if not more.  I'm tired of this excuse...

In Japan, it's basically a Monster Hunter box.  Wow.

KH box, and FF box, recent games in japan performing  decently.

KH kinda stalled short.  Considering everything that went into it, it really should've cleared a million.  It would have on PS2...

What FF are you talking about?  Everything FF that wasn't FFXIII tanked recently (Gaiden on DS, Crystal Bearers on Wii, Dissidia Universal Tuning on PSP).

WTF are you talking about? Crisis Core is this generations best selling portable FF game. Hell as far as I know the best selling portable FF game ever. Dissidia UT was basicly a fast re-release, while the real Dissidia will probably clear the 2 million to. MH games sell tons on the PSP, true, but saying that its a MH box is arrogant at best. Games like Phantasy Star sell far better on the PSP then DS,while the long in development PS0 bombed in comparison with what the PSP versions sell. New IPs like God Eater are doing pretty damn well in Japan, and even outside of Japan yearly franchises like FIFA, PES, MADDEN, WWE SvR, NFS all sell far better on the PSP then on the DS. The PSP has a CoD game that did well over a million while the DS versions barely reach the 600k ( yes, I think one of them is even overtracked here, go look on the devs, n-space, website ;)).And all of tehse whitout PSN numbers. And dont forget, there are over 50 million PSN capable PSPs out there, and not just the GOs.

The PSP CAN push software just like the DS. and yes, the DS has plenty bombs to, just like the PSP... maybe thats why Ubisoft stopped publishing all that casual crap on it, beacsue it simply didnt sell...

PS: why do you even compare the sales pattern of the PSP with the ones of the PS2? The PS2 sold FAR better then the PSP, and its also a home console, so your comment is pretty much worthless from that point on.

I'm talking about Japan.  And Crisis Core isn't exactly what I'd call "recent".  It came out in 2007 originally.

Also, taking issue with me calling PSP a "Monster Hunter Box" and then going on to highlight two blatant MoHun clones doesn't exactly help your case. ;)

And no, I'm sorry but PSP can't push games like DS.  In it's (by far) strongest territory it's only had 3 games ever clear million, while DS has had 30.  That alone illustrates the gulf in sales between them.  The reason I compare it to PS2 is due to the similarity in spec... Crisis Core and BBS both could've easily been PS2 games really.

Kenny said:
I hope everyone realizes that this is an argument Nintendo can't win. It's certainly not the first iteration of the argument, either - first, Nintendo was going to be doomed. When they seized the lead, the argument changed to that they don't sell software. When they overtook the competition in that, the argument changed to that they don't sell third party software. When NPD said that they overtook even the 360 in North America, the argument changed to that they don't sell more third party software than the competitors combined. And if they sell more total 3rd party software than the PS360 combined, the argument will change yet again, likely to that they don't sell more software than the PSPS360, or that they're not selling _the right_ third party games.

If Nintendo were to meet their definition of selling third party games, the argument would just change again, as it always has. That's because it's easier to arbitrarily redefine success to exclude the Wii than for the industry at large to admit they were wrong about it.

This man just hit the nail on the head.

Around the Network

They have done many of these interviews lately

^^^
I'm not even what's argument on PSP being a software power house like DS. One reason is that the install base of DS is so large that a game doesn't even need to reach 1% of the install base to be a million seller while it would required almost 2% of the install base on PSP to achieve that.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

I agree to an extent. With the Wii and DS its all about hitting the perfect demographic

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

ShadowSoldier said:
I agree to an extent. With the Wii and DS its all about hitting the perfect demographic

It's about that on all platforms.  If anything, 360, PS3 and PSP have a narrower demographic focus.

Kenny said:
I hope everyone realizes that this is an argument Nintendo can't win. It's certainly not the first iteration of the argument, either - first, Nintendo was going to be doomed. When they seized the lead, the argument changed to that they don't sell software. When they overtook the competition in that, the argument changed to that they don't sell third party software. When NPD said that they overtook even the 360 in North America, the argument changed to that they don't sell more third party software than the competitors combined. And if they sell more total 3rd party software than the PS360 combined, the argument will change yet again, likely to that they don't sell more software than the PSPS360, or that they're not selling _the right_ third party games.

If Nintendo were to meet their definition of selling third party games, the argument would just change again, as it always has. That's because it's easier to arbitrarily redefine success to exclude the Wii than for the industry at large to admit they were wrong about it.

Once they find out they are proven wrong they quickly change their excuse to something else, then when they are proven wrong again they choose another excuse card, what happens if they run out? I think they are just not going to make any comment.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d