By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Will the PS3 be able to outsell the Wii in Japan any week this year?

Yes, in more weeks than last year. 706 54.43%

Yes, same amount of weeks than last year. 76 5.86%

Yes, but less weeks than last year. 161 12.41%

Yes, only once. 29 2.24%

No, lol? 137 10.56%

I like turtles. 188 14.49%

Total:1,297

Wii wins this week by 51k! Looks like the remaining 2 weeks will be going to the Wii.

Next week's releases:
Week starting 12/23

PS3

- Nobunaga's Ambition Online: Chapter 4 (Special Edition)
- Nobunaga's Ambition Online: Chapter 4
- Echochrome 2
- Borderlands (Cheaper Edition)

Wii

- Mom-Chan Diet Wii Figureobics by Jung Da-Yeon
- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play (Cheaper Edition)
- Need for Speed Nitro (Cheaper Edition)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

xD, PS3 wins weekly yet Wii wins in raw sales. Both by a relatively small margin (1 week, ~150k).

Kinda embarassing for both consoles, :P.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

So long, revenge has hit our consoles

Once again, Wii wins the week, and this time by a whopping 72k.

The numbers are 28 weeks for the PS3 and 23 for the Wii, with next week probably going for the Wii.
Next week's the last week of the year but it's also the biggest one for Japan, so it will be interesting to see how big the difference among consoles will be. Wii already passed the PS3 on yearly HW and SW.

Next and last week's releases:
Week starting 12/30

PS3

None.

Wii

- Shooting Collection 2

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Wii won this year... congrats.

But the surprise was how PS3 do number on pair with Wii in Japan... the victory was claimmed just two weeks ago.

Next year is perfectly possible PS3 outsell Wii.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Wii won this year... congrats.

But the surprise was how PS3 do number on pair with Wii in Japan... the victory was claimmed junt in tow final weeks of year.

Next year is perfectly possible PS3 outsell Wii.

A certain someone should make a new thread, and have the same thing go for another year. I think ps3 will do well next year, but most likely not outsell the wii again (but no one truly knows until the very end...)

PS3 wins the final week of the year by 1k!
It's over, we have the results and the weekly champion title goes to the PS3.

29 weeks for the PS3 vs 23 weeks for the Wii.

Quite an interesting year and looks like the poll results were accurate enough.

Anyone interested in making a thread like this for 2011? I don't think I'm gonna have time to regularly update one like this so, if anyone wants to feel free.

Any guesses for 2011??

BTW here's all the upcoming 3rd party Japanese titles for both consoles

Listing all upcoming known retail games from 3rd party Japanese publishers for the PS3/Wii.

Games that will probably sell over 100k in Japan:

PS3:

• Ninokuni: Queen of the White Ash (Level 5)
  • Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Square-Enix)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Rising (Konami)
  • Yakuza: Of the End (Sega)
  • Shin Sangoku Musou 6 (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Tales of Xillia (Namco-Bandai)
  • Winning Eleven 201X (Konami)
  • Devil may Cry (Capcom)
  • Samurai Warriors 3Z (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Ni-Oh (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Project Dark (From Software)
  • Street Fighter vs. Tekken (Capcom/Namco-Bandai)
  • Tekken vs. Street Fighter (Namco-Bandai/Capcom)
  • Dinasty Warriors Troy (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Final Fantasy XIV (Square-Enix)
  • Asura's Wrath (Capcom)
  • Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (Namco-Bandai)
  • Tekken 7 (Namco-Bandai)
  • Way of the Samurai 4 (Spike)
  • Powerful Pro Baseball 201X (Konami)
  • Pro Baseball Spirits 201X (Konami)
  • Shadows of the DAMNED (Grasshopper/EA)
  • Armored Core 5 (From Software)
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of the Two Worlds (Capcom)
  • Disgaea 4 (Nippon Ichi Software)
  • Catherine (Atlus)
  • Disaster Report 4 (Irem)

Wii:

• Dragon Quest X (Square-Enix)
  • Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level 5)
  • Samurai Warriors 3 Xtreme Legends (Tecmo-Koei)

Games that will probably sell below 100k (Or may not be released in Japan at all):

PS3:

• King of Fighters XIII (SNK Playmore)
  • Silent Hill (Konami)
  • Rune Factory Oceans (Marvelous)
  • Binary Domain (Sega)
  • Sega Dreamcast Collection (Sega)
  • Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (D3 Publisher)
  • Devil's Third (Valhalla Game Studios/THQ)
  • Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsuisou (Namco-Bandai)
  • Mind Jack (Square-Enix)
  • Hatsune Miku Dreamy Theater 2nd (Sega)
  • Wizardry: City of the Captive Spirits (Acquire)
  • Virtua Tennis 4 (Sega)
  • Arcana Heart 3 (Arc System Works)
  • El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Ignition Entertainment Japan)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Square-Enix)
  • Dungeon Siege 3 (Square-Enix)
  • Uncharted Waters Online: Tierra Americana (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Hitman 5 (Square-Enix)
  • Tomb Raider (Square-Enix)
  • Tomb Raider HD Collection (Square-Enix)
  • NeverDead (Konami)
  • Knights Contract (Namco-Bandai)
  • Fortune Arterial (Kadokawa Shoten)
  • L@ve Once: Mermaid's Tears (Maid Meets Cat)
  • Clannad (Prototype)
  • Tsuri Tore (Recom)
  • Winning Post 201X (Tecmo-Koei)
  • Mamorukun wa Nowareteshimatta: Meikai Katsugeki Wide Version (Cyber Front)
  • Pachipara Sea Story SLOT (Irem)
  • Captain America: Super Soldier (Sega)

Wii:

• Earth Seeker (Kadokawa Shoten)
  • SD Gundam G: Generation World (Namco-Bandai)
  • Rune Factory Oceans (Marvelous)
  • Night of the Sacrifice (Marvelous)
  • Winning Eleven 201X (Konami)
  • The Conduit 2 (Sega)
  • Captain America: Super Soldier (Sega)
  • Deca Sports 4 (Hudson)
  • Write! Move! Catch! Teacher Wii
  • Billy's Boot Camp: Enjoy Diet on Wii! (Rocket Company)

Platform Count:

PS3 - 57
Wii - 13

Publisher Count (Major Publishers Only):

Square-Enix

PS3 - 8
Wii - 1

Capcom

PS3 - 5
Wii - 0

Namco-Bandai

PS3 - 7
Wii - 1

Konami

PS3 - 5
Wii - 1

Tecmo-Koei

PS3 - 6
Wii - 1

Sega

PS3 - 6
Wii - 2

Level 5

PS3 - 1
Wii - 1

Atlus

PS3 - 1
Wii - 0

I hope you enjoyed the thread!

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

I think next year is pretty much going to end up like this year, both in weeks (PS3 beating Wii) and sales (Wii beating PS3).  I think PS3 will actually take more weeks than it did in 2010, but I also expect it to have higher YOY declines than Wii (which should get a nice buff out of DQX).

In those 3rd party lists though you have quite a few 2012 (or later) games listed (MGS Rising, FFVersusXIII, Tekken Vs SF, Devil's Third, etc) and games that haven't been announced at all yet for Japan (Power Pro, Winning Eleven, Dreamcast Collection, Tomb Raider/Collection, Hitman 5, The Conduit 2, Dungeon Siege III, etc).  For 2011 it'd probably be best to compare likely 2011 releases, and only titles actually announced (and not assumed) for Japan.  Also, it's Tekken Tag Tournament 2, not Tekken 7.

I'd take Ashura's Rage and Troy Musou off the 100k plus lists too.  Musou outside Hokuto seems to be in decline, and a game based on Hellenistic Greek myth (rather than the usual 3 Kingdoms China, Edo Japan periods) developed by Koei Canada (rather than Omega Force) is a very iffy sell imo.  Ashura has a better chance, but then CC2's track record (sales wise) is questionable and GOW clones aren't exactly decent sellers in general.  Look at Castlevania.

jarrod said:

I think next year is pretty much going to end up like this year, both in weeks (PS3 beating Wii) and sales (Wii beating PS3).  I think PS3 will actually take more weeks than it did in 2010, but I also expect it to have higher YOY declines than Wii (which should get a nice buff out of DQX).

In those 3rd party lists though you have quite a few 2012 (or later) games listed (MGS Rising, FFVersusXIII, Tekken Vs SF, Devil's Third, etc) and games that haven't been announced at all yet for Japan (Power Pro, Winning Eleven, Dreamcast Collection, Tomb Raider/Collection, Hitman 5, The Conduit 2, Dungeon Siege III, etc).  For 2011 it'd probably be best to compare likely 2011 releases, and only titles actually announced (and not assumed) for Japan.  Also, it's Tekken Tag Tournament 2, not Tekken 7.

I'd take Ashura's Rage and Troy Musou off the 100k plus lists too.  Musou outside Hokuto seems to be in decline, and a game based on Hellenistic Greek myth (rather than the usual 3 Kingdoms China, Edo Japan periods) developed by Koei Canada (rather than Omega Force) is a very iffy sell imo.  Ashura has a better chance, but then CC2's track record (sales wise) is questionable and GOW clones aren't exactly decent sellers in general.  Look at Castlevania.

Never said those were 2011 games. Just 3rd party games that will be published/funded by Japanese companies in the future. Also I did say that some of them may not be released in Japan.

DQX will be 2012, I'd expect Versus to be out earlier than it tbh. Oh and it's almost obvious that Power Pros and Winning Eleven will be released in Japan. The others like Hitman 5, Conduit 2, etc I did say some of those may not be released in Japan.

BTW isn't is "Asura's Wrath"? It's spawned 275k results in Google while Ashura's Wrath only got 30k results, I'm just curious. I'd say that Troy Musou has a chance, but it'll likely be on the verge then. Asura's Wrath looks like it's easily break 100k. Even Lost Planet 2 broke 100k on the PS3, Capcom has had a good performance with the console in Japan.

My mistake about Tekken 7 though.

Edit: And I'm also not icluding games by Japanese devs that were released outside Japan already but not in Japan, or games published by Japanese companies only in Japan, like CoD.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

Never said those were 2011 games. Just 3rd party games that will be published/funded by Japanese companies in the future. Also I did say that some of them may not be released in Japan.

DQX will be 2012, I'd expect Versus to be out earlier than it tbh. Oh and it's almost obvious that Power Pros and Winning Eleven will be released in Japan. The others like Hitman 5, Conduit 2, etc I did say some of those may not be released in Japan.

BTW isn't is "Asura's Wrath"? It's spawned 275k results in Google while Ashura's Wrath only got 30k results, I'm just curious. I'd say that Troy Musou has a chance, but it'll likely be on the verge then. Asura's Wrath looks like it's easily break 100k. Even Lost Planet 2 broke 100k on the PS3, Capcom has had a good performance with the console in Japan.

My mistake about Tekken 7 though.

Edit: And I'm also not icluding games by Japanese devs that were released outside Japan already but not in Japan, or games published by Japanese companies only in Japan, like CoD.

Sure, I just think when framing everything around annual years, it'd be better to keep the lists to that too.  I agree Power Pro and Winning Eleven are going to happen next year, but it's still best to keep them absent until actually announced... if you'd have done the same last year, you'd have had Power Pro on Wii in 2010.  And let's be honest, something like the Dreamcast Collection isn't going to get a JP release, just like none of the PS2/PSP/360/PS3 Genesis Collections did.  Again, if you don't keep it to actual announced lists, when you even admit some games likely won't release, what's the point?  Disney, THQ, Bethesda, T2, Ignition and EA all also have JP subsidiaries that selfpublish in the region, why not then also include all their games?

I think Versus might make 2011 in Japan, but Nomura's comments (ie: "can't commit to 2011") cast some doubt, while Horii's comments on DQX (ie: "coming sooner than you think") sort of indicate it's probably this year.  

You're right, it's Asura's Wrath.  I don't think LP2 is all that comparable though, it's multiplayer focused and Capcom was driving some heavy allusions to MoHun (which were largely unfounded).   It also wasn't a new IP and it wasn't outsourced. I can see how the game could get to 100k (same with Troy Musou btw), but it's pretty far from an easy road imo, and relies on a lot of things falling perfectly into place... in which case I think we could make cases for plenty of other games also passing 100k (Earth Seeker, Suzumiya Haruhi, Deca Sporta 4, El Sahddai, Knight's Contract, etc).  None of these games are sure things, but they all have the potential.