By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 performing better than PS1?!

Doesn't this make it the 3rd fastest selling console in history? How do the NES/SNES & Xbox 360 compare?

Around the Network

I hope it ends up beyond 45 million by DEC 2010

mM
The_God_of_War said:
Doesn't this make it the 3rd fastest selling console in history? How do the NES/SNES & Xbox 360 compare?

yes thats why SONY named it PS3

it was meant to be the 3rd fastest selling console ever

if it was the fastest selling ever it would have caused too many losses

SONY secretely planned all this all along.

SONY > all

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Cool but didn't PS1 ship 20 million in its 4th Fiscal year?

One iconic entry called FF13 will also hit the PS3, but no MGS4

but GT5 too!

I wonder how far can PS3 actually go this year, its been increasing by roughly 2 Million every year!

50m by 1999, i think. Can't remember correctly.

Carl2291 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Cool but didn't PS1 ship 20 million in its 4th Fiscal year?

One iconic entry called FF13 will also hit the PS3, but no MGS4

but GT5 too!

I wonder how far can PS3 actually go this year, its been increasing by roughly 2 Million every year!

50m by 1999, i think. Can't remember correctly.

:(

you were meant to quote me & say "no darth it shipped 15 Million"

Then I'd say

"oh cool carl, PS3 may do that itself"

Around the Network

Yes the PS3 has performed quite honorably so far.

A copy and paste from another thread:

"Taking equal timeframes for the XBox 360.

Despite an extra holiday season in PAL regions for the XBox 360 and more so for other regions and a higher PS3 entry pricing for the whole period, the PS3 outsold the XBox 360 by 5.5 million units. 33.5 million PS3s vs 28 million XBox 360s.

Compared to the PS1 despite that console's lower entry pricing (but the PS3 had an extra holiday season for PAL regions). The PS3 outsold the original PS1 by 700k. The PS1 is one of the most successful consoles ever released."

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

darthdevidem01 said:
The_God_of_War said:

SONY > all

I see, the wisdom of Sir Ken lives on.

I wonder if I'll need 3 jobs to afford the PS4.....3 jobs.....PS4.....3+4= 7.......FF7 remake for PS4???

The_God_of_War said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The_God_of_War said:

SONY > all

I see, the wisdom of Sir Ken lives on.

I wonder if I'll need 3 jobs to afford the PS4.....3 jobs.....PS4.....3+4= 7.......FF7 remake for PS4???

I have always said this

A FF7 Remake will be a PS4 launch title....BELIE3VE!!!!!!

You will not need 3 jobs, but you will need to buy 2 PS4's.

SONY's aim with PS4 will be not selling 1 to each home, but selling 2 to each home.

2 + 4 = 6

1 Home = 1

6 + 1 = 7

FF7 Remake reconfirmed for PS4!

... Still, this should help to dispell the notion that the PS3 is a complete failure.

I guess you could say its still a complete failure in every respect compared to the PS2. Compared to where they were in 2006 they are more of a financial failure and less of a market failure. Depends on how you look at it really. One could say they traded short term financial performance for longer term market performance, so they are both relevant to each other. Going forward its still a failure to capitalise on the PS2's performance however they can probably mitigate the level of failure with good performance over the next couple of years.

So:

Against the PS2? Still a complete failure.

Against the launch of the PS3? Its been a mixed bag of financial vs market share tradeoffs.

Over the next few years on its own? Probably fairly good to good performance.

Long term? They're still not out of the woods yet.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

It's a very flawed comparison.

PS1 had a pretty staggered launch and had to build up it's brand recognition, in addition in comparing the launches of PS3 and PS1, from when it was first available anywhere, this year PS1 sells 19 million units and next year over 20 million and the year after that just under 20. I hardly see PS3 having similar success.

I expect PS3 to fall behind PS1 by 8 million this year, 12 million next year, and 12 million the year after that Unless Sony drops the price to $200 right now.