By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 performing better than PS1?!

The PS1 came out in 1994. The market's bigger now.

Around the Network

The PS3 is up against much stronger competition than the original Playstation had, and also the market is much larger.

chapset said:
So if the ps3 isn't doomed this week which one is doomed?!!?

lol I love you dude, no homo, took the words right out of my mouth, but wait, someone will put the doom in here I hope XD

The PS3 also does a lot more to push the market forward than the original PS1 did, which caused some additional challenges. For example its general processing power is years after release still far beyond high spec PCs, this was not the case for the original PS1 and its storage media was picked (Blu-Ray) amid a big format war with Toshiba's HD DVD, which caused a lot of extra propaganda from especially the US press and fanboys.

Important is to note with high capacity Blu-Ray, the amazingly powerful Cell processor and many costly extras like large default harddrives, built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a good HDMI standard, etc all out of the box resulted in relatively high entry costs. Which is a challenge.

Also with HDTV penetration still in the process of gaining huge amounts of market share replacing SDTVs worldwide, this introduced an extra challenge. With the PS3's high specs like support for top HDTVs and 7.1 surround sound audio setups (and soon even 120 FPS stereoscopic 3D), some people will sit on the sidelines until they are able to upgrade their home cinema setup. What percentage of kids have a surround audio set, HDTV as well as internet access in their bedroom to get the most out of a PS3 setup? I think, this also contributed to the PS3's relatively mature gaming audience.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

CGI-Quality said:
Pyramid Head said:
hoorah

its doin better for me at least, i never got a ps1, and my ps2 was free

ps3 i actually paid for tho ;)

also @cgi, i been gone a bit, hope you played the shit out of shattered memories, it was my game of the year that wasnt named MW2

Indeed I have. I just don't have my own copy yet

good to hear, you should definitely snag it for wii tho over ps2, just cus it actually uses motion in a great way to build immersion i found, but yeh what a game.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network

2009 was the best year for the PS3 (Fiscal year still got a whole quarter) but it interesting because with the exception of Ratchet and Clank there were no well known franchises released this year for the PS3... Uncharted 1 was pretty well known but the popularity came with Uncharted 2 really..

Killzone 1 on the PS2 was considering awful I don't think anyone can count this one
Then you got Infamous which is a new IP and Demon's Souls which is a new IP also and did amazingly well

You got FFXIII but only in Japan

2010 we will see the biggest Playstation franchise - Gran Turismo 5 with Final Fantasy XIII (You know what consoles will it move and on what consoles it gonna sell), Final Fantasy XIV and the possibly Final Fantasy Versus XIII in late 2010 in Japan
You got God of War 3 of course it not GT but it will be interesting I think it gonna surprise people both on the software sales and moving consoles

Then you got rumors on revived franchises like Twisted Metal (not confirmed but almost 100% sure at this point)

Interesting. How long after the PS1 did it take for the ps2 to come out. Just wondering.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

darthdevidem01 said:
The_God_of_War said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The_God_of_War said:
Doesn't this make it the 3rd fastest selling console in history? How do the NES/SNES & Xbox 360 compare?

yes thats why SONY named it PS3

it was meant to be the 3rd fastest selling console ever

if it was the fastest selling ever it would have caused too many losses

SONY secretely planned all this all along.

SONY > all

I see, the wisdom of Sir Ken lives on.

I wonder if I'll need 3 jobs to afford the PS4.....3 jobs.....PS4.....3+4= 7.......FF7 remake for PS4???

I have always said this

A FF7 Remake will be a PS4 launch title....BELIE3VE!!!!!!

You will not need 3 jobs, but you will need to buy 2 PS4's.

SONY's aim with PS4 will be not selling 1 to each home, but selling 2 to each home.

2 + 4 = 6

1 Home = 1

6 + 1 = 7

FF7 Remake reconfirmed for PS4!

hahahhahahhahahahhhah these always make me laugh. when the day comes its announced these forums will go mad lol

homer said:

Interesting. How long after the PS1 did it take for the ps2 to come out. Just wondering.

6 years

hmmm

something is off about that comparison.

The PS3 simply is not selling at as fast a rate. I don;t think the PS3 will do as good this year as the PSone did.

Still, great to hear Sony is out of the red. PS3's an awesome system. Its awesome that the market can handle three systems, each selling really great.