By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Euro/Pound dive against the Yen

And to think that a lot of people were ready to call the financial crisis over already... This is sad reading indeed.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
And to think that a lot of people were ready to call the financial crisis over already... This is sad reading indeed.

Well many of us have been pointing out that sovereign debt would cause problems eventually.

When you have basically all the Western countries running deficits around 10% of GDP, and in many cases with debt nearing 100% of GDP (or in some cases exceeding it, see Greece or Japan for example), the unsustainability is pretty obvious.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

yeah they did really screw up with, all the recalls and different problems with their trucks.

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!

how much is the pound down by?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

kowenicki said:
Dont worry, the Yen will have to be devalued soon, it has to unless Japan want to utterly screw themselves. They have to do something soon, Japans tax take this year wont even meat their own debt payments. They are effectively bankrupt too.

On Europe... expect Portugal, Spain and Italy to follow Greece soon.

It was sooooo obvious that a common monetary policy and common currency couldnt work for such different economies... especially economies propped up by inflows of european cash.

In some way I think it is a good thing. Eurozone countries are being pressured to stop running big deficits, while countries like the US and UK just print their way out of the problem with little pressure to really fix the deficits.

While the latter is more politically acceptable, it has already resulted in a big loss of purchasing power for British people, at least for imported stuff. Sure, it helps exporters, but the UK is not an export economy right?

Around the Network
woopah said:
how much is the pound down by?

Yesterday it was down by around 2.8% vs the Yen.

once I leave uni i'm gunna be very much screwed

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

kowenicki said:
NJ5 said:
kowenicki said:
Dont worry, the Yen will have to be devalued soon, it has to unless Japan want to utterly screw themselves. They have to do something soon, Japans tax take this year wont even meat their own debt payments. They are effectively bankrupt too.

On Europe... expect Portugal, Spain and Italy to follow Greece soon.

It was sooooo obvious that a common monetary policy and common currency couldnt work for such different economies... especially economies propped up by inflows of european cash.

In some way I think it is a good thing. Eurozone countries are being pressured to stop running big deficits, while countries like the US and UK just print their way out of the problem with little pressure to really fix the deficits.

While the latter is more politically acceptable, it has already resulted in a big loss of purchasing power for British people, at least for imported stuff. Sure, it helps exporters, but the UK is not an export economy right?

Actually that is a bit of a myth, the UK does export quite a bit.  But yeah it isnt a huge export economy.

Im not sure European countries are being pressured into not running huge deficits... well... actaully clearly they arent.  As the PIGS economies (as ecomonmist call them) show.  PIGS being a rather derogatory acronym used by economists for Portugal, Italy (sometimes Ireland), Greece and Spain.

These countries have thus far spent like crazy knowing the net inflow of cash would prop them up, hence the myth that was the Celtic Tiger (Ireland)... entirely built on free money from the EU -  the definition of boom and bust.  As soon as this EU cash slowed or there was a real downturn it all fell to pieces. 

Go to Spain and Portugal, look at the nice new airports, roads and civic buildings... how can these countries afford this?  Simple fact is they cant.  It is built on European money.  I'm pretty sure there will be a few German and French wishing they had kept their own currency and control right now.  They are the ones who may well need to prop up Greece and others to ensure they are not knocked of course in their own recoveries.

I don't know about Greece, but Portugal's deficits were fine before the recession. The issue is the same everywhere, the bankers stole all the money (and politicians went along with transferring bank's losses to the government).

I mean, if you look at the debt-to-GDP ratio of Portugal or Spain, they're not very different from Germany or the US for example.

The pressure I was referring to is happening right now. The bond market is jacking up rates for lending money to countries like Portugal which is generating enormous political pressure to keep the deficits down. Obviously it's not easy since people will always protest salary freezes and such, but if it succeeds it's better than covering debts by printing (i.e. quantitative easing).

Lol the USA unemployment report just came out. 20 thousand people lost jobs but the unemployment rate actually went down to 9.7% due to people stopping to look for work.

Grimes said:
It doesn't help that Japan's biggest company, Toyota, is getting demolished.

They are?

Either way, grim news.