Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumor: Platinum Games will Open a Kickstarter on Monday for a Wonderful 101 Port to Switch and PS4 (COMFIRMED!)

Azzanation said:
animegaming said:

I mean that did happen, that is why SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 and Capcom wasn't in the best financial shape at the start of the gen.

It happening doesn't make it right. Its Capcon, its Street Fighter, it never needed funding. 

W101 doesn't need a kickstarter for a port. 

Games don't get made unless the developers have the money to make them. Any potential success SFV had would have been meaningless until Capcom had the money to make the game in the first place.  Capcom didn't have enough money to make SFV and pay its employees and keep the lights on. Sony stepped in and bankrolled SFV with the obvious expectation that it would not show up on Xbox One, Wii U, or Switch, at least until x number of years had passed.

I doubt that Platinum similarly has the money to make W101 on its own. That said, that point is moot. Until Nintendo relinquishes its rights to W101, it ain't happening.



Around the Network

Hope is not true.

Don't want to live in a cursed timeline where Nintendo gives a second chance without problems to TMS, but the amazing W101 has to be kickstarted.



Let's have a champion time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUG_NS0xqSY

Replicant said:

Bold: If you take off your blindfolds for just a sec, you'll see plenty of colourful games that are popular on PS.



@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Wait,people really thought PS4 had no colorful games? Almost all of my 100 plus games on PS4 are loaded with style and/or color.



Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

animegaming said:

I mean that did happen, that is why SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 and Capcom wasn't in the best financial shape at the start of the gen.

SanAndreasX said:

Games don't get made unless the developers have the money to make them. Any potential success SFV had would have been meaningless until Capcom had the money to make the game in the first place.  Capcom didn't have enough money to make SFV and pay its employees and keep the lights on. Sony stepped in and bankrolled SFV with the obvious expectation that it would not show up on Xbox One, Wii U, or Switch, at least until x number of years had passed.

I doubt that Platinum similarly has the money to make W101 on its own. That said, that point is moot. Until Nintendo relinquishes its rights to W101, it ain't happening.

If you both actually believe that Capcom couldn't afford to make another Street Fighter game while still able to fund RE7 and Monster Hunter Worlds.. than I wouldn't know what to tell you. Street Fighter is one of Capcom's biggest IPs and money makers while it also probably wouldn't cost as much to make as RE7 and MH Worlds. SFV didn't exactly set the world on fire yet Capcom still managed to fund future titles. 



Around the Network
Azzanation said:
animegaming said:

I mean that did happen, that is why SF5 is console exclusive to PS4 and Capcom wasn't in the best financial shape at the start of the gen.

SanAndreasX said:

Games don't get made unless the developers have the money to make them. Any potential success SFV had would have been meaningless until Capcom had the money to make the game in the first place.  Capcom didn't have enough money to make SFV and pay its employees and keep the lights on. Sony stepped in and bankrolled SFV with the obvious expectation that it would not show up on Xbox One, Wii U, or Switch, at least until x number of years had passed.

I doubt that Platinum similarly has the money to make W101 on its own. That said, that point is moot. Until Nintendo relinquishes its rights to W101, it ain't happening.

If you both actually believe that Capcom couldn't afford to make another Street Fighter game while still able to fund RE7 and Monster Hunter Worlds.. than I wouldn't know what to tell you. Street Fighter is one of Capcom's biggest IPs and money makers while it also probably wouldn't cost as much to make as RE7 and MH Worlds. SFV didn't exactly set the world on fire yet Capcom still managed to fund future titles. 

Uhhh, yeah... they didn't have the money at the time. You don't seem to comprehend the fact that Capcom at the beginning of the 8th gen was in pretty poor shape at the time. There were even articles on Capcom's poor finances at the time warning that its cash reserves were dangerously low. SFV may not have lit the world on fire, but with Sony's help, it did make Capcom enough money to get back on its feet. You can argue about it all you want, but the facts are the facts.



Dulfite said:
TomaTito said:

Do Playstation owners even want this game?

Doesn't it have too much colours?

You win the internet for the day!

#artsylesovergraphics

Good thing PS4 games often have both style and graphics.

What an ignorant comment.



  • PSN: Hynad
  • NN: 3519-6016-4122
  • XBL: Hynad
  • Steam: Hynad81
RolStoppable said:
Sounds so farfetched. Nintendo would be more likely to just hoard the IP than sell it. And if Platinum had the money to buy the rights from Nintendo, then they should have had the money to port the game without a kickstarter too. They'd first have to buy the rights before they can start a kickstarter and that comes with the risk that the kickstarter doesn't bring in enough money to finance the port(s), so the money spent on the rights would be wasted. But it's Kamiya's brainchild, so maybe the financial risk didn't matter too much.

Business deals are often structured with terms like "if X happens, we'll buy Y from you for $Z".  So, it is certainly possible that they have a deal in place to buy the rights from Nintendo if they're able to raise the money to make the game.  

It does seem strange though.  If nobody wants to fund the game, that should tell them that it's probably not a good idea to move forward with it.  



SanAndreasX said:

Uhhh, yeah... they didn't have the money at the time. You don't seem to comprehend the fact that Capcom at the beginning of the 8th gen was in pretty poor shape at the time. There were even articles on Capcom's poor finances at the time warning that its cash reserves were dangerously low. SFV may not have lit the world on fire, but with Sony's help, it did make Capcom enough money to get back on its feet. You can argue about it all you want, but the facts are the facts.

Where are these facts you speak of? I don't want to hear they were low on funds without actually knowing what that means.. Nintendo were also in a space where they were struggling and they still managed to fund there own stuff to get back on there feat. Sorry I don't just believe they were too low on funds to fund one of there major IPs that wouldn't have taken a lot of funds to create in the first place. Anyone can cry poor to defend the act of money hatting. 

Can I argue that Crystal Dynamics timed exclusive with the X1 was also a troubled studio? No I wont use that card because I simply don't believe it. Capcom would have made SFV regardless, they just did it quicker because a pay check came there way.



Azzanation said:
SanAndreasX said:

Uhhh, yeah... they didn't have the money at the time. You don't seem to comprehend the fact that Capcom at the beginning of the 8th gen was in pretty poor shape at the time. There were even articles on Capcom's poor finances at the time warning that its cash reserves were dangerously low. SFV may not have lit the world on fire, but with Sony's help, it did make Capcom enough money to get back on its feet. You can argue about it all you want, but the facts are the facts.

Where are these facts you speak of? I don't want to hear they were low on funds without actually knowing what that means.. Nintendo were also in a space where they were struggling and they still managed to fund there own stuff to get back on there feat. Sorry I don't just believe they were too low on funds to fund one of there major IPs that wouldn't have taken a lot of funds to create in the first place. Anyone can cry poor to defend the act of money hatting. 

Can I argue that Crystal Dynamics timed exclusive with the X1 was also a troubled studio? No I wont use that card because I simply don't believe it. Capcom would have made SFV regardless, they just did it quicker because a pay check came there way.

https://www.dualshockers.com/capcom-only-has-152-in-their-bank-account-plans-to-invest-more-into-the-dlc-market/