This sort of trademark security is a regular occurrence for Sony. Here is a history of “PS” trademarks in Japan:
- “PS” (trademarked in 2000, released in 1994)
- “PS2” (trademarked in 1999, released in 2000)
- “PS3” (trademarked in 2005, released in 2006)
- “PS4” (trademarked in 2006, released in 2013)
- “PS5” (trademarked in 2006, released in 2020)"
LOL, talking about obvious movement. Surely SONY's are avoiding patent troll and avoiding problem for their respective ip in the future. But this just shows how commit Sony computer entertainment on console industries and gaming. And also they are really planning for next 50 years or so.
So worry not, your great great grandchildren will still playing Playstation.