Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED - 3DS Surpasses Lifetime Gamecube Sales In Japan * And Does It Faster Than Wii

3DS Surpasses Lifetime Gamecube Sales In Japan

Go 3DS!! 171 68.40%
 
Gamecube is doomed! 79 31.60%
 
Total:250
irstupid said:

You need to read what you and I both wrote.  You clearly said sales where NOT impressive because of a price drop, great games and being successor to the DS. 

Sounds like your not impressed unless a system has a shitty library an is overpriced and manages to sell well.  If it is affordable and has a great libary, then its expected huh.  Nothing 3DS can do now.  It has to sell a billion consoles cause it is expected to by an unreasonable poster.

My original post in this thread was "Not really anything big to brag about".

The 3DS is the successor to a console that has sold almost 33 Million units in Japan. It's had Nintendogs, Layton, Resident Evil, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Zelda and a pricecut. To think passing the Gamecube is something great, is IMO quite laughable.

Is it selling great? Yes. Is passing the Gamecube in Japan anything big? No. Not for a Nintendo handheld. By the time it's done selling, the 3DS' Japan total will be higher than the Gamecube WW total.



Around the Network

why we comparing a 3ds to a gamecube when we know 3ds will sell more then a home console especally in japan !
no news here but if we compared 3ds to vita it be more funny to watch haha especally for those who said 3ds failed at launch i guess these people are sitting back eating thier own words cause vita actually did worst by falling in only its 2nd week haha



Well Japan was a much different story, but honestly I think the GC had the strongest overall lineup last generation here in North America. Take away the GTA games and MGS 2 + 3, and there wasn't really that much that the PS2 offered that the GC didn't. And all the Xbox had was Halo 1 + 2.

That being said, what the hell was Nintendo THINKING when they designed that purple lunchbox and its Fisher-Price controller?!?



On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Carl2291 said:

My original post in this thread was "Not really anything big to brag about".

The 3DS is the successor to a console that has sold almost 33 Million units in Japan. It's had Nintendogs, Layton, Resident Evil, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Zelda and a pricecut. To think passing the Gamecube is something great, is IMO quite laughable.

Is it selling great? Yes. Is passing the Gamecube in Japan anything big? No. Not for a Nintendo handheld. By the time it's done selling, the 3DS' Japan total will be higher than the Gamecube WW total.

"To think passing the Gamecube is something great, is IMO quite laughable."

Passing the Gamcube THIS SOON is pretty cool, so who cares what you think ROFL



Wyrdness said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"They'll sell huge amounts of softeware though"

Have we checked the software totals for the system compare to others?


Look up media create, for the pass few weeks 3DS games have dominated the japanese charts (5 of the top 10 have been 3DS games for over a month).


That is not what software totals means.



A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Not really anything big to brag about.

Also, doomed posts need to die.


The only thing to brag about is the time it to beat GC  compared to the Wii



Why all the GameCube trashing? This is just a milestone for people to celebrate, like the 360 passing the NES. Sure it's irrelevant, but it gives us a reason to celebrate.



Love and tolerate.

Well some said surpassing the GC WW, it's over 12million I think right now. So that means it only has to double its current number of units. (GC did 24-to-26 million if I remember correctly.)



Salnax said:
Why all the GameCube trashing? This is just a milestone for people to celebrate, like the 360 passing the NES. Sure it's irrelevant, but it gives us a reason to celebrate.

What?!  The 360 passed the NES in lifetime sales?!?



On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Oopps, just looked at the hardware charts. GC only did a little over 21million. It was the original Xbox that did about 25million. But if the 3DS continues it sales trend from the last few months both will be surpassed sometime next year.