Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 77 47.53%
 
No, but I will be followi... 49 30.25%
 
No, its being overblown 36 22.22%
 
Total:162

Yeah all indicators are this is gonna be a heavy global economic recession.



A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of his first breath to the moment of his last.



SpokenTruth said:
John2290 said:

Conspiracy theory, yeah yeah. It's basic common sense. A lab with multiple reported, near breachs less than a quarter mile away from the first reported case that is handling Cornoviruses and you reckon it's a coincidence. That's not to mention the swath of experts saying that the fish market wasn't where the outbreak started and happened weeks before. To answer your question, for the simple reason that the far left never question anything and live like sheep herded by their propagandist puppeteers be it media, College professors or their gut feelings. 

Who wants to address the irony here?

Gut feelings as in emotions, colloquial translation error. 



 

John2290 said:
SpokenTruth said:

Who wants to address the irony here?

Gut feelings as in emotions, colloquial translation error. 

So you say the left relies too much on gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media and yet you base your conspiracy theory about the virus being a bio weapon on ....gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media.

Got it.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

SpokenTruth said:
John2290 said:

Gut feelings as in emotions, colloquial translation error. 

So you say the left relies too much on gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media and yet you base your conspiracy theory about the virus being a bio weapon on ....gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media.

Got it.

Come on,he "said" far left as in ''extremists''.

That tones down the level of irony a bit imo and he is partly right so it would be good to address that too instead of the usual ridiculizing because someone commented something about the left.



SpokenTruth said:
John2290 said:

Gut feelings as in emotions, colloquial translation error. 

So you say the left relies too much on gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media and yet you base your conspiracy theory about the virus being a bio weapon on ....gut feeling, emotions and propaganda media.

Got it.

Ya got me. 



 

Stuff like this man, just lol. To me, this guy's voice and physical appearance indicate that he has some sort of cold-like illness, the cough is just icing on the cake... Hopefully it's nothing or just something minor like the common cold.

Worries me a bit, maybe there's actually some merit to some of those rumors out there

link below to the coughing guy's covid19 saga

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8057513/Man-kept-coronavirus-quarantine-stop-coughing-taking-water-3-year-old-daughter.html



I think the closest historical analogue to the new Coronavirus is the 1957 Flu pandemic, which also began in China and had an estimated death rate between 0.1% and 1.6%. Back then, we also didn't have antivirals against Influenza. It was a much younger population worldwide, mind, but potentially there were more smokers across Europe and specially the US.

Curiously, the same virus returned about a decade later as a milder strain of flu that also caused a pandemic.

Mind you, a pandemic with a PSI between 2 and 4 such as this can potentially kill 500,000 - 1,500,000 people in the US alone. That's almost a decade's worth of flu deaths. The economy... isn't probably going to like it.



 

 

 

 

 

I think at this point I'm more worried about the economic aftermath that's going to follow. Hopefully this does not reach 2007-2009 levels again.



haxxiy said:

I think the closest historical analogue to the new Coronavirus is the 1957 Flu pandemic, which also began in China and had an estimated death rate between 0.1% and 1.6%. Back then, we also didn't have antivirals against Influenza. It was a much younger population worldwide, mind, but potentially there were more smokers across Europe and specially the US.

Curiously, the same virus returned about a decade later as a milder strain of flu that also caused a pandemic.

Mind you, a pandemic with a PSI between 2 and 4 such as this can potentially kill 500,000 - 1,500,000 people in the US alone. That's almost a decade's worth of flu deaths. The economy... isn't probably going to like it.

Since it mostly affects older people (at least for deaths) pension plans are going to like it :/ Life insurance companies, not so much.

The economy is going to be effected by panic and travel restrictions. The tourist sector is going to hurt the most. However most people will be fine. Small companies will probably hurt more from (temporary) loss of employees, big companies shouldn't have much of a problem.

The bigger problem will be the strain on the healthcare system. Countries with free healthcare will feel the drain on their budgets while in a country like the USA you will probably have to file for bankruptcy after surviving 3 weeks on the ICU...



SvennoJ said:
haxxiy said:

Since it mostly affects older people (at least for deaths) pension plans are going to like it :/ Life insurance companies, not so much.

The economy is going to be effected by panic and travel restrictions. The tourist sector is going to hurt the most. However most people will be fine. Small companies will probably hurt more from (temporary) loss of employees, big companies shouldn't have much of a problem.

The bigger problem will be the strain on the healthcare system. Countries with free healthcare will feel the drain on their budgets while in a country like the USA you will probably have to file for bankruptcy after surviving 3 weeks on the ICU...

In the US, it has been estimated, for a Spanish Flu-like scenario, that 33% of working age people getting a disease with 2.5% death rate and a three-week recovery time would mean an economic contraction of 5%. The 2009 recession contracted the global economy by 1% in comparison, so that's huge.

Of course, the new Coronavirus isn't that bad, but still... in a global economy, we are talking about the risk of actual shortages of goods with a pandemic. Basically something like what preppers had predicted for the Brexit.