Quantcast
Bought Xbox One X, have a 1080p TV, some thoughts.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bought Xbox One X, have a 1080p TV, some thoughts.

Glad you got one. I picked one up early on this year just after Monster Hunter World appeared and haven't regretted it although the price was a little jarring but I managed to pick one up brand new in the UK for 390 when at the time it was normally RRP 450 thanks to Toys R' Us who unfortunately was going under.

I too for most part game on 1080p and have tried it on a friends 4k HDR TV and games like AC Origins certainly made my eyes open up seeing those colours and contrasts come alive. I'll eventually get a 4K TV hopefully next year and particularly looking at the LG models but then 8K TVs are already here....





Around the Network
Kerotan said:
But you always said you bought your third party games on xbox. And it was struggling to hit 1080p unlike xbox. Improved visuals suddenly a priority?

The flaw in your argument is the X1X isn't just improved visuals per se. For example, I'm gladly trading super sampling and increased graphics settings to play in 60 fps in some games. Price also mattered given I admit its not a real game changing experience.

In a nutshell its nice I can play on Xbox One with improved resolutions, super sampling, better performance, higher quality textures and faster loading. But if improved visuals were my priority I guess I'd be on PC. But my massive library of OGXbox/360/X1 software is wasted going that route.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

vivster said:
How can 60fps be more enjoyable if the human eye can't even see faster than 24fps?

The Human Eye can't doesn't see in terms of framerates.
Yes I know you were joking.

Mr Puggsly said:

in some ways I'm a tad disappointed, but a game like Halo 5 has suddenly become gorgeous.

I disagree, I think the game is marred by technical limitations stemming from the base XBox One, like 15fps animations, short draw distances on rocks and shadowing and so on...

Mr Puggsly said:

The flaw in your argument is the X1X isn't just improved visuals per se. For example, I'm gladly trading super sampling and increased graphics settings to play in 60 fps in some games. Price also mattered given I admit its not a real game changing experience.

In a nutshell its nice I can play on Xbox One with improved resolutions, super sampling, better performance, higher quality textures and faster loading. But if improved visuals were my priority I guess I'd be on PC. But my massive library of OGXbox/360/X1 software is wasted going that route.

I think for me, the biggest benefit the Xbox One X brings is for backwards compatibility, games just run better... But it's also nice to have 1440P output, even if it did take Microsoft 9? months to enable the feature.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 27 November 2018

Mr Puggsly said:

So I bought the X1X even though I don't have a 4K TV. Because lets be frank, the base X1 struggles to hit 1080p as is. While the PS4 is better at hitting 1080p, its still well below in AAA action games targeting 60 fps. So at the very least I will get 1080p and 60 fps more frequently along with other improvements.

Thanks to downsampling a Xbox One X ain't a waste for a normal 1080p TV. Most games should look better than rendered in native 1080p... less jaggies and no edge flickering and better textures in close-ups. So if you have enough HDD space, better activate the optional 4K patches in the dashboard.

Jigsawx1 said:
 "better graphics" + 1080p + stable 60 fps was what i was aiming for this genration.

So you bought a PC?



LudicrousSpeed said:
Once you go performance mode in Horizon 4 you can’t go back.

Yeah this was me on god of war. Performance mode all the way 



Around the Network
Rafie said:
I guess your next big electronic purchase will be a 4K television. I've heard nothing but great things about X1X on a 4K tv. Some even described it as night and day compared to other versions of the same game. I don't have a X1X or a Pro, however I'm certainly gonna get an X1X because it seems like the better option.

I did look at 4K TVs Walmart's website and really considered buying one. But the only device I would use if for and games are already benefitting from just the console upgrade.

Also, I've also seen 4K in action and I haven't found it to be a huge change per se. Its possible I will buy a 4K TV just because they're getting cheap though.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Buy a 4k TV. Pretty minimal improvments without it. Especially for the price tag. Same with pro, unless you plan on getting a 4k TV or have a PSVR, there is no need to buy it unless you want to future proof or have a very slightly, sharper image on some first party games and a faster UI experience.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Mr Puggsly said:

So I bought the X1X even though I don't have a 4K TV. Because lets be frank, the base X1 struggles to hit 1080p as is. While the PS4 is better at hitting 1080p, its still well below in AAA action games targeting 60 fps. So at the very least I will get 1080p and 60 fps more frequently along with other improvements.

For anyone wondering, I paid $340. Thanks to Newegg's eBay store which doesn't charge tax, the $100 price cut for the holiday and an eBay coupon code for 15% of, I couldn't resist.

I've only tried a few games thus far including Halo:MCC, Halo 5, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 4. Thus far? Its not really a game changer per se, in some ways I'm a tad disappointed, but a game like Halo 5 has suddenly become gorgeous.

One of my favorite modes in Halo 5 is Warzone Firefight, but its also Halo 5 at its ugliest on a base X1. On a X1X though, it almost like a remaster right now. The base X1 makes it so pixelated and jarring pop in, while the X1X is improves some of those graphics settings while delivering a much more crisp picture than I anticipated.

Meanwhile games like Gears 4, Horizon 5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are simply more enjoyable now that I can experience them in glorious 60 fps.

I can't say the X1X is a necessary purchase, because a good game doesn't need X1X visuals to be enjoyable. But its certainly nice to have better graphics/performance before completely new consoles hit the market, maybe two years from now. I'm hoping my purchase is also justified by this hardware handling cross gen games well. For example, buying the 9th gen Xbox or PS5 at launch won't feel necessary if the X1X is playing much of the same games very well.

You now have the best console for third party games  with next gen not coming around till late 2020. You can get great mileage out of the X1X. Beside with gamepass and backward compatible it's the best system to play games for cheap. X1X might actually be a stream box for next gen xbox.



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

Pemalite said: 
Mr Puggsly said:

in some ways I'm a tad disappointed, but a game like Halo 5 has suddenly become gorgeous.

I disagree, I think the game is marred by technical limitations stemming from the base XBox One, like 15fps animations, short draw distances on rocks and shadowing and so on...

Mr Puggsly said:

The flaw in your argument is the X1X isn't just improved visuals per se. For example, I'm gladly trading super sampling and increased graphics settings to play in 60 fps in some games. Price also mattered given I admit its not a real game changing experience.

In a nutshell its nice I can play on Xbox One with improved resolutions, super sampling, better performance, higher quality textures and faster loading. But if improved visuals were my priority I guess I'd be on PC. But my massive library of OGXbox/360/X1 software is wasted going that route.

I think for me, the biggest benefit the Xbox One X brings is for backwards compatibility, games just run better... But it's also nice to have 1440P output, even if it did take Microsoft 9? months to enable the feature.

I hear ya, but I find some of those LOD and animation problems less jarring on the X1X. Especially in Warzone Firefight where this game was visually at its worse. However, the boosted resolution and super sampling has made the assets look amazing in comparison of the base hardware. I would love a patch for Halo 5 that trades resolution for better LOD and animations from a distance, but I argue the game still looks fantastic as is. Maybe we won't see that all addressed until a new Xbox or a real PC port.

I'm a fan of BC so any performance and resolution improvement are certainly a bonus. I just wish it gave all 360 games a resolution boost.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well I bought the xb1 X last week and I am bit disappointed as well because I don't see that much d8fference between the pro and X. I am still glad I will be able to play some games at 60fps such as gears 4 which IMO looks better at 1080p 60fps than 4k 30fps. It is my bad because I expected more on native 4k or maybe my eyes got used to higher resolution. I bought the witcher 3 to play it at 60fps as well since again, native 4k doesn't look that impressive to me.  I do have a 4ktv with hdr.