Quantcast
J.K. Rowling finally addresses Johnny Depp's casting as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts franchise

Forums - Movies Discussion - J.K. Rowling finally addresses Johnny Depp's casting as Grindelwald in Fantastic Beasts franchise

 

Grindelwald casting

When Johnny Depp was cast as Grindelwald, I thought he’d be wonderful in the role. However, around the time of filming his cameo in the first movie, stories had appeared in the press that deeply concerned me and everyone most closely involved in the franchise.

Harry Potter fans had legitimate questions and concerns about our choice to continue with Johnny Depp in the role. As David Yates, long-time Potter director, has already said, we naturally considered the possibility of recasting. I understand why some have been confused and angry about why that didn’t happen.

The huge, mutually supportive community that has grown up around Harry Potter is one of the greatest joys of my life. For me personally, the inability to speak openly to fans about this issue has been difficult, frustrating and at times painful. However, the agreements that have been put in place to protect the privacy of two people, both of whom have expressed a desire to get on with their lives, must be respected.  Based on our understanding of the circumstances, the filmmakers and I are not only comfortable sticking with our original casting, but genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies.

I’ve loved writing the first two screenplays and I can’t wait for fans to see ‘The Crimes of Grindelwald’. I accept that there will be those who are not satisfied with our choice of actor in the title role. However, conscience isn’t governable by committee. Within the fictional world and outside it, we all have to do what we believe to be the right thing.

 

 

link below

 

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/grindelwald-casting/



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

FInally addressed it?

She basically ignored it. Just says to respect the two peoples privacy and then says we love having him casted.



irstupid said:
FInally addressed it?

She basically ignored it. Just says to respect the two peoples privacy and then says we love having him casted.

Still addressed, just not properly.

 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jk-rowling-defends-casting-johnny-depp-fantastic-beasts-sequel-1065352?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

 

Here is another link.



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Erm... what's the probkem with Depp? He is a good actor. I guess it's just irrational QQ from self entitled "fans".



spurgeonryan said:
irstupid said:
FInally addressed it?

She basically ignored it. Just says to respect the two peoples privacy and then says we love having him casted.

Still addressed, just not properly.

 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jk-rowling-defends-casting-johnny-depp-fantastic-beasts-sequel-1065352?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

 

Here is another link.

Thanks for the link, I had heard none of that drama and was lost as to why people had a problem with Depp. 

 

Edited out a joke.

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 08 December 2017

Around the Network
Nem said:
Erm... what's the probkem with Depp? He is a good actor. I guess it's just irrational QQ from self entitled "fans".

Supposedly he may have been abusive to his ex. 



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I love this. When hypocrites have to face reality outside of saying some virtuous shite on social media. "Conscience isnt governed by committee" eh? Where was this rationalisation in the many rants from you on moral issues in the past.

Whatever the case, glad to see Depp retains the role.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

spurgeonryan said:
Nem said:
Erm... what's the probkem with Depp? He is a good actor. I guess it's just irrational QQ from self entitled "fans".

Supposedly he may have been abusive to his ex. 

I'm getting really sick of this victimization wave.

Most of the stories are complete BS. Only the Harvey Weinstein story seems worth the attention and consequences. Well, and the senate candidate that may have committed pedophilia.

The consequences are being far out of whack compared to the transgressions.

 

Honestly, Depp is a skinny guy. There's no way he abused anyone (except verbally). It's nonsense.



Nem said:
spurgeonryan said:

Supposedly he may have been abusive to his ex. 

I'm getting really sick of this victimization wave.

Most of the stories are complete BS. Only the Harvey Weinstein story seems worth the attention and consequences. Well, and the senate candidate that may have committed pedophilia.

The consequences are being far out of whack compared to the transgressions.

 

Honestly, Depp is a skinny guy. There's no way he abused anyone (except verbally). It's nonsense.

Wait what? Only fat people can be physically abusive? Im confused right now



Rowling... just another celebrity SJW without a clue (who says a lot but does nothing especially if it directly affect her). Horrible, horrible woman who should stfu.



I'm not really here!

Link: Shipment History Since 1995