By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - GameSpot: White Knight Chronicles Review - 6.0

I don't know if GameSpot's scoring system has changed but many years ago I remember that anything in the 6 range meant that the game is strictly for fans of the genre and those who are only casual players of the genre or barely play those games should give it a rental first. They would have little explanations like that for their scoring system. If you play a lot of jrpgs, chances are your standards for a jrpg are going to be lower than the standards of the mainstream gamer that only wants to play the cream of the crop jrpgs (in the critics' minds, stuff like Final Fantasy. I strongly disagree that FF is the cream of the crop but the hype of these games is so strong that it convinces people that these games are the best jrpgs).

So unless you feel WKC is under-rated with respect to other jrpgs that have been rated by GameSpot, then I don't see why the 6 is so bad. GameSpot went against this rule by giving Demon's Souls a high mark. But it could be that the particular reviewer who reviewed that game liked those kinds of games (dungeon crawlers as opposed to traditional jrpgs.)

Valkyria Chronicles was rated highly (8.5 or so?) but it could just be that reviewers prefer SRPG gameplay to jrpg gameplay. Which is perfectly understandable. I haven't played VC but generally, srpg battles make every skirmish (except for the odd random battle like in FFT or whatever) count. Every fight is like a boss battle except the boss has a big posse in these games. They don't have boring, tedious, throwaway battles like they do in traditional jrpgs that do nothing but bore you, create tedium and add nothing to the game except increase your stats.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Ajescent said:
Not always...
why is everyone acting as if WKC is shit on a stick? sure it's not reinventing sliced bread but at the same time...PEOPLE, COME ON!

If you like the looks of things and are keen on these things, go for it. don't let bad reviews put you off, there's thing called renting, rent first or buy at a cut down priced jesus fucking christ!!!

You are on the same website that concluded FFXIII was hated in Japan despite positive reactions towards it in user reviews, critic reviews & polls conducted in the country where FFXIII has topped the lists.

Don't be so surprised......

@Xen

Whats to say WKC isn't a great game though?

Its style is very much different from FFXIII & ROF

All 3 of them are must buys if your a big JRPG gamer imo.

Regarding ff13, I'm not gonna get it (at least not straight away) just because I'm personally not feeling it, I haven't been feeling this game since  early last year. But I don't get why everyone is crapping on anything that doesn't score 9.9/10 or higher. Too much elitism on the interwebs these days, people taking these reviewers words as fact.

What the hell happened to people being free thinkers and going out on a limb and trying new things they normally wouldn't? People have been hyped for this for a while now and suddenly just because some guy with a laptop says it sucks you guys are all jumping on that bandwagon? His taste doesn't= yours!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this game is gonna be amazing or whatever, I personally I'm not too keen on it but at the same time how in the space of one review can so many people just fall out of love with something? sure it's getting 7 and 8s else where but since when is 7 out of 10 a bad thing? Am I the only one in the world that thinks a game getting 6/10 is worthy of a rental?

Jesus folks, grow some individuality.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

expected.
FFXIII > White Knight Chronicles

Take a look at my photos on flickr

I had a bad feeling about this game. It looked to me like a medieval Rouge Galaxy with a less involved battle system and even more of a cliché story. I think I might rent this game just to make sure.

I have/had the same feeling about Sands of Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia.

Sad that today games have to score a 10/10 or they are trash.

Around the Network
VivaLaWiida said:
expected.

That's well known.

jneul said:

i really don't like gamespot, they have been unfair to both ps3 and wii games, wheras they seem to give a lot of slack to x360 games, why on earth don't other games don't get marked down for not being original(and most games are not!!), it is the worst and most hypocritical practice to use.

You're just making excuses.

Demon's Souls: GS Score (9.0) Meta Score (8.9)

Infamous: GS (9.0) Meta (8.5)

Uncharted 2: GS (9.5) Meta (9.6)

Killzone 2: GS (9.0) Meta (9.1)

GameSpot also gave MGS4 and Demon's Souls GOTY for 2008 and 2009 respectively. Just face it; WKC is an average RPG.

Xen said:
VivaLaWiida said:
expected.

That's well known.

Read the FFXIII no towns thread which is full of hate

at one point I felt people thought Eternal Sonata was better than FFXIII.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Xen said:
VivaLaWiida said:
expected.

That's well known.

Naughty Bear > FFXIII

darthdevidem01 said:
Xen said:
VivaLaWiida said:
expected.

That's well known.

FF XIII outdoes WKC in everything else, then. And also, No towns = less annoying NPC's. They are said to be on FFX's level, which is perfect.