By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With Wii's birthday coming up a look at its first year

^^^^^ Like I said, best games are pushing it when many games are not out yet, did you even read the rest of my post? They could be the best games this gen when those games come out. In a few years we can do "best games this gen" but not right now, when it's only been this gen for two years. At least three years to go before we can start crowning awards.

Around the Network

SMG is currently ranked number 2 on the top games ranking at Gamerankings.com, I doubt it'll fall of its perch that easily

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

^^^^ Oh I agree, it won't fall off easily, we jus tchouldn't be saying that games will be the best games this generation just yet without all the top contenders being out.

DMeisterJ said:
^^^^ Oh I agree, it won't fall off easily, we jus tchouldn't be saying that games will be the best games this generation just yet without all the top contenders being out.

Fact.

Ocarina of Time came out about 2 years after the launch of the Nintendo 64.  Galaxy will be great, but we cannot forsee how it will withstand the test of time and what games will appear in the future to challenge it.

Yeah but SMG keeps getting rave reviews, heck it has perfect 10's which haven't been counted on its review scale (at least not yet), I find it hard to imagine any of those listed games doing as well (maybe if Shiggy was directing : P )

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

14 million units its first year, I think that's pretty damn unprecidented. We saw the 360's rocky start its first year too now we wait and see if the Wii's second year can live up to the 360's second year turn around.

Amazing year for the wii

As far as "killer apps" go, Wii is now equal to where 360 was in it's first year: 4 titles, three of which are ports of PC games released a few months earlier, or in the Wii's case, two Gamecube games.

360 still had better rated games overall, with lots of games in the 8s, but the Wii has just as many top rated killer apps.

With games like FFCC, NiGHTS, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart, and Tales of Symphonia 2 coming next year, Wii will hopefully see something similar to the 360's explosion of games in it's second year, although I doubt it will be as large.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Steve 3.2 said:
Here's my brief take on the past year and a look at the one ahead:

Past Year Sales - Blockbuster year number one. The only two negatives I can think of are that Nintendo hasn't been able to make more and that demand has begun to slack off in Japan a bit. We'll have to see if that's temporary or...

Next Year Sales - ...will they remain soft after the holidays are over? Sales in the US will remain high and Europe will be the wild card. The Wii should easily pass the sales of the GameCube by early 2008. But once all of those GameCubes have been replaced, will demand begin to soften across the globe? Software is going to be key in 2008. The Wii can't sell forever based upon Wii Sports alone. Speaking of...

Past Year Games - Crap. Besides a few great first party games and a handful of some good third party ones, this past year has been a major letdown on the software side of things. Enough ports and mini game collections! Except those Raving Rabbids. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Next Year Games - The outlook is muddled. Nintendo will bring out some major sequel to their key franchises. And Wii Fit and other 'ungames' should continue to help diversify the lineup. As for third parties, it seems like many still don't get it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Wii Ware finally launches.

Past Year Overall - Amazing sales, some good games here and there, and an online plan that has yet to impress. Yes, the Wii has a lot of potential. But will it live up to it?

Next Year Overall - Quick answer is 'No'. 2008 will continue to be a building year and I don't think we'll see what the Wii is really capable of from a major game standpoint until 2009. But 2009 and beyond is a discussion for another time.

(As for the comparisons, Avinash_Tyagi, if you look past the 49 weeks you'll note that the Wii faces much stiffer competition from the PS2/DS in their second full year. So year one has been good, but can Wii ramp up to those levels? PS2, maybe. DS though? Hmmm... Not sure.)

A few flaws, first off PS2 demand was down at this point in its life, even less than the wii is now, secondly Wii with competition has done better or at least as well as the other two, a bigger feat, saying the wii is weakening proves you failed history.

Also saying Wii games the past year is crap proves you don't know what you're talking about, games like Zack and Wiki, Mario Galaxy, etc. are among the best this gen

I failed history did I?  Go check the charts for yourself:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS2&reg2=Japan&cons3=DS&reg3=Japan&weeks=104

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS2&reg2=America&cons3=DS&reg3=America&weeks=104 

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Europe&cons2=PS2&reg2=Europe&cons3=DS&reg3=Europe&weeks=104 

So in the PS2's second year, they went from less than 4M to over 12M sold in Japan.  Quite a slackening in demand.  In fact, in all three territories the PS2 did better in its second year that the first.  And I stand by my statement that Wii demand has declined in Japan lately.  Period.  End of sentence.  It's a fact.  Get over it, Fanboy!

And up until very recently, Wii games have been mostly crap.  You named two titles.  I said that there were some good first party games and a handful of third party ones.  That's less than a handful.  Checking metacritic for a second, as of today's writing it only took an average score of 76 to get on the Top 20 All Time High Scores for Wii games.  And that includes recent hits like Galaxy and Z&W.  That's not so hot when compared the the top 20 for other consoles including the often ridiculed PS3.  The lowest score on their Top 20 is an 83.

The Wii has done well.  I said that.  Bit it also deserves a bit of criticism.  And if you can't take it, go somewhere else.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer