By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With Wii's birthday coming up a look at its first year

shams said:

Its been a pretty amazing first 12 months.

I can't recall any mass-produced, consumer electronics device EVER selling out (instantly?) even 12 months after it was originally released.

Next year is going to get real scary. Production will start to edge 2m/m plus - and we should finally see some form of price cut ($199US?), or some even more compelling bundles.

To think in the next 3 months I will be playing Galaxy, Mario Kart, Brawl, RE:UC, Zak & Wiki, WiiFit & more.

The DS did a great job of shaking up the industry - and now its the turn of the Wii to really revolutionize things.

Bring on the next 12 months :)

Fangirl

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

I was going to post something big but then I realized it was almost Off Topic.

Ah well.

Actually, now that I think about it, the Playstation is a perfect example of slow and steady.

Whilst the PS2 may have sold 120 million plus I don't believe it's user base is anywhere near this and a huge number of those sales are repeat buys because of breakdown.

If the PS2 had a user base even near 100 million then surely the best selling PS2 games would have sold in much much higher number and only 4 have sold between 10-15 million units, all the others being under 9 million.

For that reason I think it will be very difficult for the Wii to get near the PS2 numbers because in my experience Nintendo consoles do last!

The Wii is the hare and the X360 might be the turtoise. The PS3 is...the snail?

The theory that the PS2 only sold well because people were buying replacements, is well, a bit retarded to be honest.

Since the 360 has a 33% failure rate, I'm going to assume that at least 1/4 of the 360's sales were people buying it again.

MontanaHatchet said:
The theory that the PS2 only sold well because people were buying replacements, is well, a bit retarded to be honest.

Since the 360 has a 33% failure rate, I'm going to assume that at least 1/4 of the 360's sales were people buying it again.

I'm not saying it sold well because of replacements but I am saying that's the reason the numbers are as high as they are.

For example our original, still functional Gamecube has just been sold to my son's friend but in the same period 4 PS2s have been and gone.

And can you explain why sales for the best selling games on PS2 are so low with such a high number of PS2 consoles sold?

I would say in USA HALO and GTA are equally as big yet:

USA PS2 sales: 45million / GTA SA: 8 million

USA Xbox360 sales: 8million / HALO3: 4 million so far

Around the Network

Sales-wise,fantastic.As a gaming device,really poor.Bad games,ports from the cube,psp and ds as best games,lots of shovelware,useless periferics...and a growing focus on casual gaming.

llewdebkram said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I'm not saying it sold well because of replacements but I am saying that's the reason the numbers are as high as they are.

For example our original, still functional Gamecube has just been sold to my son's friend but in the same period 4 PS2s have been and gone.

And can you explain why sales for the best selling games on PS2 are so low with such a high number of PS2 consoles sold?

Lots of casual gamers.

The PS1 had 20 million less userbase yet it's highest selling game moved 4.5 million less units than the PS2's highest selling. And the PS1 was a relatively reliable system.

Sales-wise,fantastic.As a gaming device,really poor.Bad games,ports from the cube,psp and ds as best games,lots of shovelware,useless periferics...and a growing focus on casual gaming.

Not so, Wii has great games, in fact it has the highest ranked game this gen, what Wii does have is that it has opened up gaming to more than just the gamers who believe that games must be a certain way to be good

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Not so, Wii has great games, in fact it has the highest ranked game this gen, what Wii does have is that it has opened up gaming to more than just the gamers who believe that games must be a certain way to be good

and as MontanaHatchet said above this post about why PS2 sold so well: "Lots of casual gamers." ....and of course *cough* breakdowns :P

Was the Wii games really that bad? Casual focus isn't automatically bad. Here's the top tens for the first year, which one do you prefer?:

Wii:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Red Steel

PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man
Motorstorm
Madden NFL 08
Madden NFL 07
Fight Night Round 3
Need for Speed: Carbon
Call of Duty 3
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
NCAA Football 08
Spiderman: The Movie 3

X360: (approx, can't find first year only-list)
Gears Of War
Madden NFL 07
Call of Duty 2
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Guitar Hero II
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Vegas
Call of Duty 3
Fight Night Round 3
Dead Rising