By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - With Wii's birthday coming up a look at its first year

Stranne, perhaps your list wouldn't have failed so hard if you had used Gamerankings.

Around the Network

Yes, mine was just american topsellers for the first year. Not necessarily the best games (tastes differ), but I think it shows the different focuses for the respective consoles.

As for Gamerankings, I'm actually not convinced review scores give a better picture than sales. But maybe that's just me being cynical.

@ pakidan101 and avinash_tyagi

For a while I thought that the PS2 would lose that generation but that was because I believed that power was everything (XBOX), and I wasn't sure that Nintendo could do it (I was right about that).  I love my PS2 though, I'm happy it won, but I almost bought an XBOX that generation...  What a mistake that might have been.  ;)  Yeah, everyone thinks that I'm a Sony Fanboy but I'm really not, I think they should have a fair chance.  My first console was the PS1, then my second the PS2 and hopefully my third the PS3, but I think that all consoles should have a fair shot.  I always defend Sony because they shouldn't be picked on for some bad business decisions, and they can always turn things around... Just look at what they did last console genration, and even what Ninty is doing with the Wii.  That's why I believe that the PS3 could come back, the PS2 was basically in this same predicament seven years ago.  And isn't seven a luck number?

DMeisterJ said:

For a while I thought that the PS2 would lose that generation but that was because I believed that power was everything (XBOX), and I wasn't sure that Nintendo could do it (I was right about that). I love my PS2 though, I'm happy it won, but I almost bought an XBOX that generation... What a mistake that might have been. ;) Yeah, everyone thinks that I'm a Sony Fanboy but I'm really not, I think they should have a fair chance. My first console was the PS1, then my second the PS2 and hopefully my third the PS3, but I think that all consoles should have a fair shot. I always defend Sony because they shouldn't be picked on for some bad business decisions, and they can always turn things around... Just look at what they did last console genration, and even what Ninty is doing with the Wii. That's why I believe that the PS3 could come back, the PS2 was basically in this same predicament seven years ago. And isn't seven a luck number?

Thats a basic definition of what a fanboy is....

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

DMeisterJ said:

For a while I thought that the PS2 would lose that generation but that was because I believed that power was everything (XBOX), and I wasn't sure that Nintendo could do it (I was right about that). I love my PS2 though, I'm happy it won, but I almost bought an XBOX that generation... What a mistake that might have been. ;) Yeah, everyone thinks that I'm a Sony Fanboy but I'm really not, I think they should have a fair chance. My first console was the PS1, then my second the PS2 and hopefully my third the PS3, but I think that all consoles should have a fair shot. I always defend Sony because they shouldn't be picked on for some bad business decisions, and they can always turn things around... Just look at what they did last console genration, and even what Ninty is doing with the Wii. That's why I believe that the PS3 could come back, the PS2 was basically in this same predicament seven years ago. And isn't seven a luck number?

How is that a definiton of a fanboy?  I said all consoles should have a fair chance...  I said I want PS3 to win because it has the games I want to play on there, if those games were to move to another console, I'd move right along with them.  I root for sony because they gave me my first gaming experience but that doesn't make me a fanboy.  If I want the sun to come out am I a sun fanboy?  If I don't want to die tomorrow, am I a life fanboy?  No, those are just things I want to happen.  Don't come into threads trolling...  Also, welcome to the forums, haven't seen you around here before.  Hope you have a good time :)

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
DMeisterJ said:

How is that a definiton of a fanboy? I said all consoles should have a fair chance... I said I want PS3 to win because it has the games I want to play on there, if those games were to move to another console, I'd move right along with them. I root for sony because they gave me my first gaming experience but that doesn't make me a fanboy. If I want the sun to come out am I a sun fanboy? If I don't want to die tomorrow, am I a life fanboy? No, those are just things I want to happen. Don't come into threads trolling... Also, welcome to the forums, haven't seen you around here before. Hope you have a good time :)

Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual (usually male; the feminine version fangirl may be used for females) who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession. Fanboys remain loyal to their particular obsession, disregarding any factors (often including logic) that differ from their point of view.

Hm. so lets see here:

1) You have thus been loyal to one company (Playstation) Buying a PS1, PS2, PSP, and going to buy a PS3. Although you have bought a 360 by your sig. Fanboy trait.

2) You always defend Sony, looking past their many faults and mistakes this generation, that any other knowledgable unbiased gamer would see and move past Sony to better places. Fanboy trait.

3) You have hopes that Sony will somehow succeed despite an overwhelming acceptance that it would have to do the impossible, proven by history, facts, statistics and just common sence, to win or do anything to overcome its current status. Fanboy trait.

Now Im not saying Sony is dead or anything of the sort, but a fanboy  has all of these traits and believe me, by all of your posts I have seen, you are a fanboy. Saying one sentence "I like all consoles and want them all to win" wont undue whats already been said.

Now all that being said, being a fanboy isnt a bad thing, I am a self proclaimed Nintendo Fanboy yet I use logic along with my own bias. If you are losign this gen, suck it up. I had to do it for 2 generations.

Anyway back on topic. I hope Nintendo gives a message or something special for the Wii's one year anniversary. *hint* SMRPG and Earthbound *hint* 

MontanaHatchet said:
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

Didn't the tortoise have jet packs though?

Sometimes.  Other times you find out the tortise was really like 12 identical tortises that cheated to win.  They redid that Bugs Bunny cartoon a couple times.

DMeisterJ said:
DMeisterJ said:

How is that a definiton of a fanboy? I said all consoles should have a fair chance... I said I want PS3 to win because it has the games I want to play on there, if those games were to move to another console, I'd move right along with them. I root for sony because they gave me my first gaming experience but that doesn't make me a fanboy. If I want the sun to come out am I a sun fanboy? If I don't want to die tomorrow, am I a life fanboy? No, those are just things I want to happen. Don't come into threads trolling... Also, welcome to the forums, haven't seen you around here before. Hope you have a good time :)

Actually, if you wanted the sun to come out, that just means you don't want any vampires lurking around town (referring to 30 Days of Night) but thats just my opinion. But yeah, I get what you mean. I think that what people forget is that MOST people have the power to think and realize that games is what we want, not consoles. That is why we all in our hearts like all three consoles. In the end, however, we do end up picking a favorite and sometimes we end up having to defend them, just for the chance to defend our choice. I'm a Ninty fan myself, but I don't regret buying a PS2 during the Gamecube's decay in the last gen race. Right now I have a Wii, but when the money comes I would like to get a PS3 myself (in fact, the funny thing was that the PS3 WAS my first choice to get, until the $600 price tag shocked the hell out of me). I say that if you like the PS3 because of the games its going to have, then be proud of what you like....just don't be like other typical fanboys who end up saying that "x console is great b/c Jesus said so" and stuff like that...that gets annoying at times....

Anyways, I forgot to say congratz on the PS3 and soon to be Wii's first year....hopefully people would actually have enough money to buy all the amazing games coming out AND pay for the gas bills this winter....going to be one rocky Christmas season.... 

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)

I actually loathed Xbox last gen and owned a PS2/GC but now Im leaning towards Wii/60 because of all of Sony's mistakes and the 360 has some really good games. I dont have enough money or time to serve another console though. I barely can give my Wii the attention it deserves.

DMeisterJ said:
DMeisterJ said:

How is that a definiton of a fanboy?  I said all consoles should have a fair chance...  I said I want PS3 to win because it has the games I want to play on there, if those games were to move to another console, I'd move right along with them.  I root for sony because they gave me my first gaming experience but that doesn't make me a fanboy.  If I want the sun to come out am I a sun fanboy?  If I don't want to die tomorrow, am I a life fanboy?  No, those are just things I want to happen.  Don't come into threads trolling...  Also, welcome to the forums, haven't seen you around here before.  Hope you have a good time :)

What's bolded basically.  Sony had a fair chance and they still have a fair chance.  The truth is though, they've been squandering that chance due to the bad decisions you don't want anyone to bring up.  Which makes having a discusion on sales hard.  Saying they arn't getting a fair chance is just making a fanboy excuse for why the system isn't selling as well.  It's not like the governments of the world are penalizing sony by putting large tariffs on it or something.

Either way good decisions deserve to be lauded, bad decisions ridiculed no matter who makes the system.