By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF6 such a fan favorite?

NiKKoM said:
1. It has the best villain, best final boss, best characters, best soundtrack, best plot, funniest dialogue, greatest scenes, best magic, best final dungeon, coolest evil emperor and best irritating wisecracking octopus of any Final Fantasy. Ever.
2. It has the worst...um...uhmmm...
3. ....

Around the Network

opera scene. 'nuff said

NiKKoM said:
1. It has the best villain, best final boss, best characters, best soundtrack, best plot, funniest dialogue, greatest scenes, best magic, best final dungeon, coolest evil emperor and best irritating wisecracking octopus of any Final Fantasy. Ever.
3. ....

This.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Fab_GS said:
AoiRayn said:
^ and that's YOUR opinion :)

Of course it's his opinion. Why the hell would he post anything other than his opinion?  :)

He wrote it in such a way like it were facts, nothing else :)
I got that impression anyway..

Currently Playing: Uncharted 2 & Kingdom Hearts 2
2010 Predictions: Click Me

Games on my "Must Buy" List:

Diablo III (PC)
God of War III (PS3)
Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Final Fantasy Agito XIII (PSP)
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
The Last Guardian (PS3)

AoiRayn said:
Fab_GS said:
AoiRayn said:
^ and that's YOUR opinion :)

Of course it's his opinion. Why the hell would he post anything other than his opinion?  :)

He wrote it in such a way like it were facts, nothing else :)
I got that impression anyway..

It IS a fact........., IMO.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
3. ....

Best Villain - Yup

Best Final Boss - eh, debatable, but ok

Best characters - Um...no.  Not even close.  I really don't even see how this can be said if you've played final fantasy VII or X.  Especially X.

Best Soundtrack - It's definetly up there, and amazing for the era, so sure.

Greatest scenes - again, debatable

Best Magic - Not really my favorite, but whateve...

Eh....I'm tired...the real reason is:

Best Plot - Yup, Definetly the best story of all of them....

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

it's the only Final fantasy game that made my eyes water.. none of the others even came close.. the scene where I welled up was with celles jumping off the cliff

and also another sad scene was Setzer's love history later on....

plus it was the first square Enix RPG I ever played back in 1993~94 where the story felt epic. music has a real nice warm feeling to it

and game had a lot of secrets

FF7 most of those characters were just emo... and ares final scene at the end of disc 1.. I honestly couldn't care about her..

i never found it all that great

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

piggychan said:

it's the only Final fantasy game that made my eyes water.. none of the others even came close.. the scene where I welled up was with celles jumping off the cliff

and also another sad scene was Setzer's love history later on....

plus it was the first square Enix RPG I ever played back in 1993~94 where the story felt epic. music has a real nice warm feeling to it

and game had a lot of secrets

FF7 most of those characters were just emo... and ares final scene at the end of disc 1.. I honestly couldn't care about her..

One of the my favorite scenes of all-time!

I had the same experience as OP, although I played it before I knew that so many people were ZOMG FF6 IS THE BEST GAME EVAR KEFKA IS TEH AWESOMESAUCE! I though it was a decent game and I enjoyed it, but I didn't see anything special in it. Many years later I played Chrono Trigger on an emulator after hearing a lot of people say how brilliant it was and I wasn't disappointed.

I think one of the most important things to remember is that it was one of the first games to have such an emphasis on storyline and characterisation, so it seemed amazing when it came out because no other game was like it.

Or, to put it another way, it was a big fish in a small pond.

Also, there are a number of reasons relating to internet fandom (and fandom in general) which mean that the game will get more praise from its devoted following than it would have if it had been released in different circumstances.