By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF6 such a fan favorite?

I loveddddd Chrono Trigger so much. I think of them as sister games for some reason. They both won me over for my favorite games.

Around the Network

@nikkom - please don't get started with the bs "pre FFVII" "post FFVII" garbage. My first Final Fantasy was IV. I am a fan of Final Fantasy. Period. I'm probably one of the biggest FF fans on this site. How about you just accept my opinnion instead of trying to tell me every fan from before VII thinks VI is better? That's a generalization...and it's an extremely wrong one.

VII absolutley stomps VI in every aspect you just named. and it has more fans. And it's currently the best selling non pokemon RPG of all time.

@ghazi4 - it is....this thread makes no sense.

@darth - but it already has! Lol. Most recently by FFXIII, but also by XII, X and VII before it.

There's really no way to tell which game has more fans, among the people who have played them all.

Yes, FFVII has more fans overall. That's an obvious conclusion when there has been like, 3x more people that have played it.

By the same token, a ton more people like Pokemon, Mario, or Zelda (in the west) over FF. Can I say conclude Mario > FF from this? Not really, it's not a fair comparison, not to mention claiming the majority isn't saying much...

This is only directed to those who claim FF7 > all due to its popularity, when I'm sure many that claim this probably hate the Wii. Of course, I am aware there are those crazed FF6 fanboys that proclaim... well, you know, lol

... on topic. It's simply an awesome game, for all reasons already named. It's got nearly everything I look for in an JRPG, the only one that matches or tops it (IMO) is Chrono Trigger.

I had more fun with FF6 than any other FF. 4 and 9 were close, though.

c0rd said:

This is only directed to those who claim FF7 > all due to its popularity, when I'm sure many that claim this probably hate the Wii.

I don't really think that anyone with an IQ in triple figures makes such a claim. However, whilst FF7's popularity is not enough on its own to justify saying that it's one of the best games ever, it enters into the equation.

It's also worth bearing in mind that FF7 is a 12-year-old game with graphics that were poor even by the standards of its time (although it was better looking than most RPGs). It's easy for a "casual" game of poor quality to remain popular for a few years, so popularity doesn't really mean much in that case. It's also fairly easy for franchises to attract a very big and very loyal fanbase (especially those on Nintendo; I have no idea why this is). However, FF7 has remained consistantly popular for a long time amongst quite a diverse fanbase made up of both hardcore gamers and casuals, and intelligent fans who appreciate the subtleties of the game (one has to search a little harder to find them), as well as some people who conform to the fanboy stereotypes. That counts for something.

Around the Network

I hope you guys aren't talking about me...cuz I never once claimed that FFVII is better than VI because it sold more. It's better than VI because it's a better game.

The only reason I mention sales is because it shows that more ppl have played ffvii. This ties in directly with how popular it is.

perpride said:
I hope you guys aren't talking about me...cuz I never once claimed that FFVII is better than VI because it sold more. It's better than VI because it's a better game.

The only reason I mention sales is because it shows that more ppl have played ffvii. This ties in directly with how popular it is.

The number of people who have played VI could easily be double its sales. It takes 2 minutes to download an SNES rom of the game.

I guess out of all the FF's I've played (4,6,7,8,9,10,12), 6 is the one I've beaten 4 or 5 times because it was just that fun to replay over and over again. I love 7 too, but i only beat that one 2 or three times. : )

Waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting patiently for MH3 : p

Lurker said:
perpride said:

The number of people who have played VI could easily be double its sales. It takes 2 minutes to download an SNES rom of the game.

And it takes less than half an hour to download the PSX ISOs for FF7. And I'm pretty sure that plenty of people have borrowed the game or bought it second hand as well. And it's been near the top of the PSN sales charts ever since it was released.

It's true that sales only give a very rough estimate of how many people have played a game, but they're the best we have. Once we start talking about how many people have played the game without buying a copy, all we have to go on is pure speculation.

It has a good story, fantastic character, even better character development, one of the greatest villains ever, and great music.

What more could you want in an RPG?