By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CGI-Quality said:
Twistedpixel said:

Why are people pretending that Sony's weakest territory is America and then praising the fact that the PS3 is 'selling on par with the Xbox 360'. The data says otherwise. As a single region the American market represents the largest combined pool of Playstation 2 hardware sales out there.

look! http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS2&reg2=America&cons3=PS2&reg3=Europe&weeks=400

That doesn't look like a weak territory to me.

For the PlayStation 2, no. The PS3 is a completely different beast in America, Sony doesn't have quite the grip they had with the PS2. Therefore, seeing it perform well next to it's closest rival while being $100 more is quite impressive. But considering the numbers, the two systems are tied this week, IMO.

That still doesn't prove that Playstation brand is weak in America. All it proves is that the Xbox brand is also strong. The average sale price for the Xbox 360 is $261 according to NPD and the average sale price of the PS3 is likely between $305-$315 which considering the feature differences is enough to call it a wash.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

Average week if you ask me.

Pixel Art can be fun.

PS3 and 360 is almost a tie statistcally. But in the US it's technically a win for PS3 since 360 has been dominating all this time.

CGI-Quality said:
Twistedpixel said:

That still doesn't prove that Playstation brand is weak in America. All it proves is that the Xbox brand is also strong. The average sale price for the Xbox 360 is $261 according to NPD and the average sale price of the PS3 is likely between $305-$315 which considering the feature differences is enough to call it a wash.

I never said the PlayStation brand was weak in America. It's just not as strong as it was when the PS2 was thre main PlayStation on the market.

No as strong =/= not strong.

I don't know why people are discussing about a weak or strong territory for the ps3. We all knew this was gonna happen. And everyone praising that ps3 won a week by a mere 1,000 units, should realize that Sony lost a lot more this gen. Definitely, Sony is the big loser this gen. We should wait to the next one to see what they are going to do. But anyone screaming "yohooo ps3>x360 this week in america, wo0oo00" Seems kind of.... dumb

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Twistedpixel said:
CGI-Quality said:
Twistedpixel said:

I never said the PlayStation brand was weak in America. It's just not as strong as it was when the PS2 was thre main PlayStation on the market.

No as strong =/= not strong.

You're running around in circles bud. I never said the brand "wasn't strong".

"Sony doesn't have quite the grip they had with the PS2. Therefore, seeing it perform well next to it's closest rival while being $100 more is quite impressive."

I don't see any indication that the Playstation brand is weaker than the Xbox brand. All I see is that now they have relative price parity they are selling at parity. Does that not indicate that both brands are about the same strength? Remember the data I pulled from NPD which states the average sale price for the Xbox 360 is $261? That means 2/3rds of all Xbox 360s sold are $300, the same price as the machine which 'does everything' apparantly.

Is it not reasonable to argue that the 1/3rd Xbox 360s which are sold @ $200 are roughly offset by the fact that the PS3 comes with Blu Ray + Wireless out of the box? I wouldn't argue that Live shifts the balance on the price of Live because its always listed as a major pro for the Xbox 360 console, so I cannot see how it becomes a major con when compared to the PS3.

The price of the PS3 is impressive. The sales of the PS3 are expected due to the power of the Playstation brand which it still possesses.

CGI is comparing ps3 to ps2 when he is talking about being weaker... not Sony vs MS

CGI-Quality said:

You continue to press an issue when for the most part, I'VE AGREED WITH YOU.

One last time: I never said the brand was: 'weaker than the Xbox brand/not strong/weak'. I said it is weaker than it was. Not trying to get snappy but it's like you're deliberatley ignoring what I have posted for the last 1/2 hour now.

Ok then, whats impressive to you about the recent PS3 sales in America? I figure I'll give you the opportunity to tell me so we can reach understanding between us given our different points of view. I will read but not respond as to not prolong the debate, I just want to see your point of view clarified in full.

Thank you.

Is it still tracking in line with PS1? I know late 1997 was when PS1 took off, and while slim's made for a nice mini-recovery I'd think last year would've been when it and PS1 parted ways?