By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 40GB PS3 To Beat Wii in Japan?

Console launches always bring a boost to sales, whether it beats the wii would depend as much on wii availabilty as demand for the two consoles though.

If wii availabilty remains a problem, I think this will be a real boost for sony. Consumers are really going to be thinking about the next-gen now, not just the fanboys. If nintendo had been more aggressive with their production levels, they could have really walked away with it.

Around the Network

Looks a bit better than Elite start.

I like this Japanese chic. Seems hot.

I think hanafuda doesn't really know that much about the industry,

To the Japanese and most people who play games, backwards compatiblitly is very important, this is why I am not getting a 40gig, I'm waiting for a normal PS3 that wont change every 3 months, I think *~Onna76~* said it best with;

Most Japanese consider the 40GB as an "incomplete" machine

@godf

I really do not think Wii availability is a issue in Japan. Look at the sales, and read some stories. There should be ample Wii surplus in that market. The real issue with supply would be for Sony if their new sku did fantastically well. Honestly I do not see either of these consoles selling so much that supply is a issue.

@hanafuda

Seriously platformers do not appear to be all that popular in Japan. Mario Sunshine sold 870,000 units in its entire lifetime, on the Game Cube. That was actually less then a fifteen percent attachment rate lifetime. That said it can probably beat Mario next week, but I have the feeling that neither game is going to be high on the list. For instance Rachet selling 30,000 while Mario sells 25,000. Well that is not much of an accomplishment, and would only be accomplished, because Mario will have plummeted.

@topic

I wouldn't even care to speculate. Beyond the point that anything can happen in Japan over the next few weeks. Last week the 360 actually beat the PS3, and the PS3 was doing well, or better then it had most of the year. The response to the Wii has become tepid as hell. The PS3 has shown a penchant for selling consoles on the strength of one decent title. We all saw what the Hot Shots Golf did for the console during the summer. So while it is technically quite possible. I have this gut feeling that its not very likely.

All this about 'Japan don't like Ratchet' shouldn't it just be 'Japan don't like consoles'.

Around the Network

As far as I heard, preorders of white version was good. So PS3 can get some dash for the sales. So, temporarily PS3 sales would close up or be a little more than Wii.

But when we see it for longer-term, it is hard to say this dash continues... There are some reasons,

1. Less demand for present users

PSP's longer-term good sales is caused by the advantage for present users. New PSP is more useful and more powerful than older one. But new PS3 doesn't have like it.

2. Poor soft demand

Sony could prepare the Dynasty Warriors 6 with new PS3 release. But they don't have followers...

As far as I know,

Heavenly Sowd : about 30k (Retailers' Pre-order)

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

y-koron is a girl!!!!!!

Oo_oO

I dont get it, the ps3 is such a great console, I think its bad press thats making sales drop. Everywhere I go(in school) my friends say ps3 sucks, get a 360. And some idiots say that it has terrible lag, its the worst online its just like ps2.

Im telling you, I dont ever think the ps3 can over take the 360 in america..

mM
leo-j said:
ratchet is the same thing as mario galaxy just with less planet stuff.

Honestly man, after reading a lot of your posts before and including this, i have to ask, what the hell are you smoking?

Games i'm currently playing:

If you're interested in anedoctal evidence:

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

leo-j said:
y-koron is a girl!!!!!!

Oo_oO

I dont get it, the ps3 is such a great console, I think its bad press thats making sales drop. Everywhere I go(in school) my friends say ps3 sucks, get a 360. And some idiots say that it has terrible lag, its the worst online its just like ps2.

Im telling you, I dont ever think the ps3 can over take the 360 in america..

Yes your right. The 360 has built it self up as a console to take america (HD wise, and i know alot of people going wi60)

You have to release leo, that america likes certain games, just like japan does. Its why Sony is spending so much on Killzone, because america just plain out loves shooters, and thats what the 360 has, and good ones at that. Sony wants to get more americans, MS wants more japanese, hence Killzone 2/ UT 3 temp exclusive/ Haze temp exclusive from sony, and Blue dragon/Lost Odyssey/ Cry on from MS.

All my friends want a 360. Its the console thats spread its name around america. You know why.............cause of games thats it. Ps3 was lacking way to many games for so long. Now its lost its name.....

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.