By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Overrated Games Franchises Of All Time! Time Do You Agree?

Snesboy said:

Don't agree with GTA being on there. GTA: San Andreas was a phenomenal game that did so many things right and very little wrong.

VC/SA rocked hard imo, but GTA4 is the poster child for overrated this gen.

These days Rockstar's best sandboxes aren't even GTA games imo (Bully, RDR).

Around the Network

its basically the 10 biggest franchises (i no not exactly ) so no thats a stupid list there just saying anything big is overated which is the case with any big people call it overated

I like all of these to an extent, but i still agree; especially for halo single player and final fantasy.  Oh and GTA4 blows.

jarrod said:
Snesboy said:

Don't agree with GTA being on there. GTA: San Andreas was a phenomenal game that did so many things right and very little wrong.

VC/SA rocked hard imo, but GTA4 is the poster child for overrated this gen.

These days Rockstar's best sandboxes aren't even GTA games imo (Bully, RDR).

Amen.

Super Mario is not overrated. I do believe Zelda is overrated though along with Modern Warfare, GOW, and. GTA. I wouldn't call Pokemon overrated since it does not necessarily get the highest ranks among reviewers. If you call Mario games overrated you must be one of those caveman who haven't fully experienced it.

Also I was curious about GOW 3 and my bro in law is a big fan. It's not fun 0_o well not in comparison in what reviewers make it seem with their 9 reviews. I found the game play to be slow and repetitive (this case it wasnt good). I guess since being a Mario and Smash fan I'm used to faster game play.

I played Ocarina of Time on an emulator. Ugh it was boring and slow game play! I guess I'm not into those type of games.

Around the Network

Pretty stupid list...Final Fantasy has at least over 20 games and they just say they are all bad..God of war?Resident evil (only 5)?GTA?Why not bring any Mario/Wii titles there..

I agree with Pokemon tho.

Take my love, take my land..

The only ones I disagree with are God of War, Final fantasy and Resident evil. Overall though not too bad of a list.

Simulacrum said:

Pretty stupid list...Final Fantasy has at least over 20 games and they just say they are all bad..God of war?Resident evil (only 5)?GTA?Why not bring any Mario/Wii titles there..

I agree with Pokemon tho.

The thing is though that generally Mario/Wii/Pokemon haven't recieved that high scores generally compared to God of War.  One can easily say that God of War is overrated as all games in the series have high and fairly similar scores (87 - 94 on metacritic).  

On the other hand, for example pokemon as a series has recieved varied scores as the games themselves are varied (46 - 87 metacritic; though R/B/Y/G/S/C are no longer listed and they were the most critically acclaimed), therefore it is much harder for one to say that such series as a whole are overrated.  Instead one is much more likely to say 'pokemon game x and y are overrated' rather than the series altogether.  You say that you agree with Pokemon being included, you might agree that HG and SS (87) were rated to high, but at the same time might not have player or think that ranger was underrated (69)

The same applies to Mario, it's very hard for one to classify all the games together as a series as they span so many genres (2 and 3d platformers, RPG, racing, sports, etc).  I would say that Super Mario RPG is overrated, but at the same time I believe the likes of NSMBWii and the 3 paper mario games are underrated.  If one was to say the entire Mario series is overrated, I would say that they come of as a bit ignorant.

Basically, to conclude, the list would be far better breaking down the franchises into the individual 'sub-franchises' or individual games within each series, if the author is like me he could instead of putting the entire FF series down could say that FFVII is wildly overrated, but exclude other 'sub-franchises' such as the 3 FF Tactics games as he thinks that they are underrated.

shit double post

Final Fantasy: This one sits at the top of the list mostly because they are pretty solid games, but it’s got very little in the way of franchise continuity. Lately we’ve seen a couple spin-off games that brought in existing characters, but Dissidia was arguably the Smash Bros. of the FF series.

coffee franchise

http://www.charlielovett.com.au/">