By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

Square 79 32.64%

BioWare 70 28.93%

Bethesda 34 14.05%

Other 59 24.38%

Total:242

I'll go with Atlus.
I love some Namco, SE(though really not particularly recent) and Nippon Ichi stuff (and others too), but Atlus on my tastes' most objective.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
Grey21 said:
RageBot said:
LOL!!!!11111

A list without Obsidian and/or Black Isle studios.

What greatness have they done of late? Black Isle is gone and before they were gone they made a few good IPs in the 90s but after 2000 they havent done anything interesting. Obsidian is just taking up projects that are bases good games from Bioware and Bethesda. The days of Fallout and Baldur's Gate are gone, only Bioware continued to deliver and Bethesda took second place.

What "greatness" did Bioware, Square or Bethsada make?

And by "greatness" I mean timeless classics like Planescape:Torment, a ten years old that pepole still talk about today with passion.

Planescape Torment is spoken with a passion by it's own fans, not by the general public, i'm one of them, it's the greatest WRPG ever created.

You can do a round list of both those companies and find at least one game spoken by it's fans with the same amount of passion.

Bioware = Baldur's Gate
Square = FFVI/DQV
Bethesda = Elder Scrolls: Morrowind 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

My answer -- Bioware

My thoughts:

• Square Enix - They use to be the kings of RPG's but now they're the ones destroying the genre (or at least the JRPG genre on consoles).  The stories are bland, the characters are boring, and it's all about creating the best graphics.
  • Bioware - Mass Effect alone is enough to make Bioware play with the big boys but they also have Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights.  Bioware is easily the king of RPG's.  They have characters, story, and as an added bonus the games are even fun!
  • Bethesda - The make interesting open worlds with interesting stories, but the gameplay is just so bad.  It's just so odd to me how they can make such a bad FPS in a world where making even a decent competent FPS is so easy.

I don't understand why you think that. Could u elaborate?

What parts of the gameplay are bad?

I think the gameplay mechanics are awesome. Well, not so perfect in Morrowind, but in Oblivion it is. The inventory, user interface but especially the movement and combat is top notch. The switch between real-time and pausing feels smooth and right. I really get a good feel of the weapons, feeback when hitting, aiming is great, it all feels realistic and raw. And it hasn't any of these stupid motion captured animations that I usually just hate because they still feel scripted and unnatural in most games.

Well, since u said "FPS" maybe u mainly meant Fallout 3? Okay, as a shooter I felt Fallout 3 was a lil bit stiff. It didn't feel entirely right to use the basic Oblivion mechanics and convert it to a shooter. Okay, you must have meant Fallout 3.

Just the basic gunplay is bad.  Aiming always feels off and melee isn't that fun either.  It's been a while since I played Fallout 3 or Oblivion, but in both games the gameplay just can't support the length of the game.

They somehow fuck up something that is incredibly basic.

With Fallout 3 and Oblivion, they both get to the point where the game just gets boring.  It took Fallout 3 longer to get to this point thankfully, but they both just get to a point where the game is so easy it just becomes boring.  You find your one little niche weapon and slaughter everything.  The horrible gun/melee play goes from bad to just boring.

Also, you have little motivation to just continue with the stories.  Again, Fallout 3 did a much better just at motivating you to continue on, but in an open world game like that it's hard to make the player stay interested in the main story and they just do a badjob at that.  I know only a handful of people that finished the main quest on Oblivion, most people don't get past Kvatch.  They spend so much time giving you an insane amount of sidequests that you just forget about the point of the game.

I honestly do not see why Bethesda gets the love that they do.  Again, fantastic interesting worlds, bad gameplay.

twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

My answer -- Bioware

My thoughts:

• Square Enix - They use to be the kings of RPG's but now they're the ones destroying the genre (or at least the JRPG genre on consoles).  The stories are bland, the characters are boring, and it's all about creating the best graphics.
  • Bioware - Mass Effect alone is enough to make Bioware play with the big boys but they also have Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights.  Bioware is easily the king of RPG's.  They have characters, story, and as an added bonus the games are even fun!
  • Bethesda - The make interesting open worlds with interesting stories, but the gameplay is just so bad.  It's just so odd to me how they can make such a bad FPS in a world where making even a decent competent FPS is so easy.

I don't understand why you think that. Could u elaborate?

What parts of the gameplay are bad?

I think the gameplay mechanics are awesome. Well, not so perfect in Morrowind, but in Oblivion it is. The inventory, user interface but especially the movement and combat is top notch. The switch between real-time and pausing feels smooth and right. I really get a good feel of the weapons, feeback when hitting, aiming is great, it all feels realistic and raw. And it hasn't any of these stupid motion captured animations that I usually just hate because they still feel scripted and unnatural in most games.

Well, since u said "FPS" maybe u mainly meant Fallout 3? Okay, as a shooter I felt Fallout 3 was a lil bit stiff. It didn't feel entirely right to use the basic Oblivion mechanics and convert it to a shooter. Okay, you must have meant Fallout 3.

Just the basic gunplay is bad.  Aiming always feels off and melee isn't that fun either.  It's been a while since I played Fallout 3 or Oblivion, but in both games the gameplay just can't support the length of the game.

With Fallout 3 and Oblivion, they both get to the point where the game just gets boring.  It took Fallout 3 longer to get to this point thankfully, but they both just get to a point where the game is so easy it just becomes boring.  You find your one little niche weapon and slaughter everything.  The horrible gun/melee play goes from bad to just boring.

Also, you have little motivation to just continue with the stories.  Again, Fallout 3 did a much better just at motivating you to continue on, but in an open world game like that it's hard to make the player stay interested in the main story and they just do a badjob at that.  I know only a handful of people that finished the main quest on Oblivion, most people don't get past Kvatch.  They spend so much time giving you an insane amount of sidequests that you just forget about the point of the game.

I honestly do not see why Bethesda gets the love that they do.  Again, fantastic interesting worlds, bad gameplay.

The usual complaints then. I thought u meant only core gameplay mechanics, mostly technical aspects, but u also included story-telling, fun-factor and everything. Okay, then I understand.

But if the player thinks the worlds truly are fantastic and interesting they won't stop playing until they cleared out every dungeon and mine lol.

You too quit at Kvatch lol?

aragod said:
JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

BioWare > Bethseda (old Fallout was better and TES is just meh)

if you think JRPG's are dead, you'll be in for a nasty shock when a JRPG on 9th march & then another one on 26th march outsells just about every WRPG released this gen.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
aragod said:
JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

if you think JRPG's are dead, you'll be in for a nasty shock when a JRPG on 9th march & then another one on 14th march outsells just about every WRPG released this gen.

What do u mean 9th and 14th? FF is the only big JRPG.

Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
aragod said:
JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

if you think JRPG's are dead, you'll be in for a nasty shock when a JRPG on 9th march & then another one on 14th march outsells just about every WRPG released this gen.

Sorry I meant 26th March

Take a guess, the JRPG releasing on the 26th is BIGGER than FF as a JRPG franchise.

come on its not hard at all.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

lestatdark said:
.jayderyu said:
Bioware makes the best entertainment games.
Bethesda makes the best RPG
Square makes the best VG movies.

Funny, Square makes VG movies? Give me an example of a Dragon Quest game infested with so many cutscenes that you need to call it a movie. Also, an average FF game, when played for it's full content, it's over 80 hours (all sidequests). A typical WRPG with all sidequests take close to 40 hours. The FF with the largest amount of cutscenes is FFXIII, at about 5 hours of cutscenes. FFXIII is a 40-50 hours main quest game, which takes the % of cutscenes to 10-15%, less than 10% if you factor the duration of sidequests.

Are you trying to tell me that 85%-90% pure game is considered VG movie now?   

As with any of these threads, they ultimately turn into a battle of stereotypes.  And in this case, its the perception that all WRPGs are unique, good and 'pure' while all JRPGs are old, evil and 'full of the same old junk'.  And as with most people who use stereotypes, they are grouping all games of each company under the generalization of one or two major successful games (BioWare with Mass Effect and/or Dragon Age, Bethesda with Fallout 3 and/or Morrowind and SquareEnix With Final Fantasy and/or Kingdom Hearts). 

I will wager that the majority of the people here haven't even played a Dragon Quest game, but will still claim that SquareEnix is 'ruining the RPG market and focuses too much on CGI cutscenes'.  Frankly, I can't fault them too much because in America, they have pretty much focused 99% on only on Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts while not even trying to advertise the Dragon Quest titles.  But as for their statements being truthful that 'all SquareEnix games are the same' or 'all JRPGs are generic trash and inferior to WRPGs', yes, this is pure opinion and mostly just built on the stereotypes of them only playing Final Fantasy games.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

The usual complaints then. I thought u meant only core gameplay mechanics, mostly technical aspects, but u also included story-telling, fun-factor and everything. Okay, then I understand.

But if the player thinks the worlds truly are fantastic and interesting they won't stop playing until they cleared out every dungeon and mine lol.

You too quit at Kvatch lol?

The fact that Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have interesting and fantastic worlds and it's so easy to quit the game because of the gameplay should be a testament to just how bad the gameplay is (and yes, I managed to get past Kvatch once but then I went back to the Dark Botherhood quests and quit again).

darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
aragod said:
JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

Sorry I meant 26th March

Take a guess, the JRPG releasing on the 26th is BIGGER than FF as a JRPG franchise.

come on its not hard at all.

Ok, must be Pokemon. That game doesn't exist in my world though. At least not as a RPG.