By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

Square 79 32.64%

BioWare 70 28.93%

Bethesda 34 14.05%

Other 59 24.38%

Total:242

I don't think one company makes the best RPGs. In fact, I like RPGs from all the companies in the polls as well as a number of others. However, in recent years, the good RPGs have seemed to drop off, or at least slow down. And a lot of the best JRPGs are focusing on handhelds while, in my opinion, the best WRPGs are focusing on PC (while being ported to consoles).

If you ask me what my FAVORITE RPGs are, I would say they come from Companies like SquareEnix (Dragon Quest), Blizzard (Diablo) and Nintendo (Mario RPG series). But it goes deeper than that.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

YES square won!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

My answer -- Bioware

My thoughts:

• Square Enix - They use to be the kings of RPG's but now they're the ones destroying the genre (or at least the JRPG genre on consoles).  The stories are bland, the characters are boring, and it's all about creating the best graphics.
  • Bioware - Mass Effect alone is enough to make Bioware play with the big boys but they also have Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights.  Bioware is easily the king of RPG's.  They have characters, story, and as an added bonus the games are even fun!
  • Bethesda - The make interesting open worlds with interesting stories, but the gameplay is just so bad.  It's just so odd to me how they can make such a bad FPS in a world where making even a decent competent FPS is so easy.

Other. Not really big on the three options there.

4 ≈ One

Tough poll to answer.

If you take a look at the history of those three companies, and not just recent history, you can see that Bethesda's one isn't exactly widespread in terms of RPGs.

That leaves me with both Bioware and Square, which can both be broken down into two periods.

Bioware with Black Isle/Obsidian sub team and Bioware-EA; Squaresoft and Enix separated to Square-Enix.

Bioware with Black Isle created some of the best IP's in all WRPG history. Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, KOTOR, Jade Empire and so on. Current Bioware has only done Mass Effect and Dragon Age. While both are very good WRPG IP's, they aren't as good as the previous ones.

Squaresoft and Enix were at the top during the golden age of JRPG's. Both created and nurtured so many quality IP's, that you'll need to put all current gen consoles and handhelds together to even begin rivaling that era.
Square-enix has focused their resources in creating very few succesful new IP's focusing instead on spin-offs and rehasing of their top franchises. While the main releases of those franchises are still continuing with the tradition of critical and economical success, it has come at the expense of variety.

In the end, it will all be a battle of WRPG's vs JRPG's, and the perception of what they are currently worth, instead of focusing on the overall panorama. My vote will go to Square, for the ability and determination of going against the current WRPG oriented market in consoles and for bringing us the golden age of JRPG's in the past.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Nintendo

the 2 paper mario games (N64 & GC) are the only console rpgs i've actually finished, and also bothered replaying.

all hail The Great Gonzales!

Chairman-Mao said:
Bethesda, easily.

I defy you to name 2 RPG's by 1 company better then Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Baldurs Gate 2 series, and the original Neverwinter Nights...that was easy!  :)

I'd go with Bioware because of the two mentioned above and Mass Effect/Dragon Age, though I'd agree with you that Fallout 3 is one of the best damn games of this generation.

For me it would be like:

1.  Bioware

1.5 Bethesda

3.  anyone else

4.  someone here too.

5.  Square.  The last few Square games I've played have been somewhat forgetable (IMO).

JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

BioWare > Bethseda (old Fallout was better and TES is just meh)

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

twesterm said:

My answer -- Bioware

My thoughts:

• Square Enix - They use to be the kings of RPG's but now they're the ones destroying the genre (or at least the JRPG genre on consoles).  The stories are bland, the characters are boring, and it's all about creating the best graphics.
  • Bioware - Mass Effect alone is enough to make Bioware play with the big boys but they also have Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Neverwinter Nights.  Bioware is easily the king of RPG's.  They have characters, story, and as an added bonus the games are even fun!
  • Bethesda - The make interesting open worlds with interesting stories, but the gameplay is just so bad.  It's just so odd to me how they can make such a bad FPS in a world where making even a decent competent FPS is so easy.

Pretty much my thoughts on this line-up. 

Bioware easily...Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, KOTOR, Mass Effect...

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!