By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

In your honest opinion.. which company creates the best RPGs? [Poll]

Square 79 32.64%

BioWare 70 28.93%

Bethesda 34 14.05%

Other 59 24.38%

Total:242
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

Just the basic gunplay is bad.  Aiming always feels off and melee isn't that fun either.  It's been a while since I played Fallout 3 or Oblivion, but in both games the gameplay just can't support the length of the game.

They somehow fuck up something that is incredibly basic.

With Fallout 3 and Oblivion, they both get to the point where the game just gets boring.  It took Fallout 3 longer to get to this point thankfully, but they both just get to a point where the game is so easy it just becomes boring.  You find your one little niche weapon and slaughter everything.  The horrible gun/melee play goes from bad to just boring.

Also, you have little motivation to just continue with the stories.  Again, Fallout 3 did a much better just at motivating you to continue on, but in an open world game like that it's hard to make the player stay interested in the main story and they just do a badjob at that.  I know only a handful of people that finished the main quest on Oblivion, most people don't get past Kvatch.  They spend so much time giving you an insane amount of sidequests that you just forget about the point of the game.

I honestly do not see why Bethesda gets the love that they do.  Again, fantastic interesting worlds, bad gameplay.

The usual complaints then. I thought u meant only core gameplay mechanics, mostly technical aspects, but u also included story-telling, fun-factor and everything. Okay, then I understand.

But if the player thinks the worlds truly are fantastic and interesting they won't stop playing until they cleared out every dungeon and mine lol.

You too quit at Kvatch lol?

The fact that Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have interesting and fantastic worlds and it's so easy to quit the game because of the gameplay should be a testament to just how bad the gameplay is (and yes, I managed to get past Kvatch once but then I went back to the Dark Botherhood quests and quit again).

actually oblivions gameplay is fun

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
RageBot said:
Grey21 said:
RageBot said:
LOL!!!!11111

A list without Obsidian and/or Black Isle studios.

What greatness have they done of late? Black Isle is gone and before they were gone they made a few good IPs in the 90s but after 2000 they havent done anything interesting. Obsidian is just taking up projects that are bases good games from Bioware and Bethesda. The days of Fallout and Baldur's Gate are gone, only Bioware continued to deliver and Bethesda took second place.

What "greatness" did Bioware, Square or Bethsada make?

And by "greatness" I mean timeless classics like Planescape:Torment, a ten years old that pepole still talk about today with passion.

Planescape Torment is spoken with a passion by it's own fans, not by the general public, i'm one of them, it's the greatest WRPG ever created.

You can do a round list of both those companies and find at least one game spoken by it's fans with the same amount of passion.

Bioware = Baldur's Gate
Square = FFVI/DQV
Bethesda = Elder Scrolls: Morrowind 

Don't worry man, I know :P

I'm just pissed off that pepole treat the WRPG genre like it was invented with KotOR.

(And "Square" didn't make DQ5, Enix did)

I actually should've voted for Square too, since Squaresoft was my favorite company ever (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger/Cross, FF6,7,9 etc.) but I voted for "other" out of spite.

And the thing about fans, you can be damn sure that a decade from now, there will be more pepole who talk about PS:T than ME, KotOR and any of this generations "big WRPGs".

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
aragod said:
JRPG is dead, WRPG rules

BioWare > Bethseda (old Fallout was better and TES is just meh)

if you think JRPG's are dead, you'll be in for a nasty shock when a JRPG on 9th march & then another one on 14th march outsells just about every WRPG released this gen.

What do u mean 9th and 14th? FF is the only big JRPG.

Sorry I meant 26th March

Take a guess, the JRPG releasing on the 26th is BIGGER than FF as a JRPG franchise.

come on its not hard at all.

Ok, must be Pokemon. That game doesn't exist in my world though. At least not as a RPG.

Yes pokemon gold remake

@bolded

then the world you live in is a fake one

what a weird thing to say

RageBot said:
lestatdark said:
RageBot said:
Grey21 said:
RageBot said:
LOL!!!!11111

What greatness have they done of late? Black Isle is gone and before they were gone they made a few good IPs in the 90s but after 2000 they havent done anything interesting. Obsidian is just taking up projects that are bases good games from Bioware and Bethesda. The days of Fallout and Baldur's Gate are gone, only Bioware continued to deliver and Bethesda took second place.

And by "greatness" I mean timeless classics like Planescape:Torment, a ten years old that pepole still talk about today with passion.

Planescape Torment is spoken with a passion by it's own fans, not by the general public, i'm one of them, it's the greatest WRPG ever created.

You can do a round list of both those companies and find at least one game spoken by it's fans with the same amount of passion.

Bioware = Baldur's Gate
Square = FFVI/DQV

I'm just pissed off that pepole treat the WRPG genre like it was invented with KotOR.

I actually should've voted for Square too, since Squaresoft was my favorite company ever (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger/Cross, FF6,7,9 etc.) but I voted for "other" out of spite.

And the thing about fans, you can be damn sure that a decade from now, there will be more pepole who talk about PS:T than ME, KotOR and any of this generations "big WRPGs".

Yep, that's why I said at the beginning of my post that people are only evaluating this for what these companies are currently doing, not for what they have achieved through time. PS:T is one of those classics that will stand the test of time, pretty much like Deus Ex or System Shock 2

I know about Enix doing DQ5, just look at my first post, I separated Square between Squaresoft/Enix and post Square-Enix days ;) 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

darthdevidem01 said:
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

Just the basic gunplay is bad.  Aiming always feels off and melee isn't that fun either.  It's been a while since I played Fallout 3 or Oblivion, but in both games the gameplay just can't support the length of the game.

With Fallout 3 and Oblivion, they both get to the point where the game just gets boring.  It took Fallout 3 longer to get to this point thankfully, but they both just get to a point where the game is so easy it just becomes boring.  You find your one little niche weapon and slaughter everything.  The horrible gun/melee play goes from bad to just boring.

Also, you have little motivation to just continue with the stories.  Again, Fallout 3 did a much better just at motivating you to continue on, but in an open world game like that it's hard to make the player stay interested in the main story and they just do a badjob at that.  I know only a handful of people that finished the main quest on Oblivion, most people don't get past Kvatch.  They spend so much time giving you an insane amount of sidequests that you just forget about the point of the game.

I honestly do not see why Bethesda gets the love that they do.  Again, fantastic interesting worlds, bad gameplay.

The usual complaints then. I thought u meant only core gameplay mechanics, mostly technical aspects, but u also included story-telling, fun-factor and everything. Okay, then I understand.

But if the player thinks the worlds truly are fantastic and interesting they won't stop playing until they cleared out every dungeon and mine lol.

The fact that Fallout 3 and Oblivion both have interesting and fantastic worlds and it's so easy to quit the game because of the gameplay should be a testament to just how bad the gameplay is (and yes, I managed to get past Kvatch once but then I went back to the Dark Botherhood quests and quit again).

Which parts are fun for you?

Take any system in that game and then compare it to any other game with that same system (even from the time it was released). 

Another huge hint the game is so flawed should be that the PC version has so many user-made fixes to fix all the insane amounts of problems with that game.

And of course you could say all those user-made fixes make the game better, but to that I say how does releasing a game that needs all those fixes make it so good?  Shouldn't it be the users that are congratulated and not the ones that released the broken game in the first place?

Around the Network

Post deleted by user who has not recovered from recent flu yet and posted in the wrong thread

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

twesterm said:
darthdevidem01 said:
twesterm said:
Slimebeast said:
twesterm said:

Which parts are fun for you?

Take any system in that game and then compare it to any other game with that same system (even from the time it was released). 

Another huge hint the game is so flawed should be that the PC version has so many user-made fixes to fix all the insane amounts of problems with that game.

And of course you could say all those user-made fixes make the game better, but to that I say how does releasing a game that needs all those fixes make it so good?  Shouldn't it be the users that are congratulated and not the ones that released the broken game in the first place?

It was fun using the sword & using magic. Assigning buttons for the magic.

The gameplay was smooth and action based, not command based which was different for me in a RPG.

Clicking R3 to sneak was always fun, & then shooting bows was even more fun in that way.

The lockpicking thing was excellent & addictive for me.

I know you have a dislike for this game, i know this ever since I joined, but know this, most of us enjoyed the gameplay a lot, there is no techincal reason to say "why" we enjoyed it, but we did, it was fun, fluid, quick & not taxing.

No it probably wasn't the best system if we compare it to other games, but it was fun, addictive & there's a reason I have 200 hours sunk into it.

RageBot said:
lestatdark said:
RageBot said:
Grey21 said:
RageBot said:
LOL!!!!11111

Bioware = Baldur's Gate
Square = FFVI/DQV

That's the thing though.  People talk about WRPGs like they're 'fresh and new' because to many gamers they are just that, new to WRPGs.  They grew up either never playing RPGs or only experienced RPGs like Final Fantasy.  And now there's a whole new breed of highly funded and highly advertised RPG, made from the west, and they're mesmorized (and highly advosarial towards JRPGs for reasons unknown).

As for what games people will be talking about in 10 years, that's unknown.  However, it has been 10 years and people are still talking about games like Diablo II, Morrowind and Dues EX.  But on the JRPG side, they are also still talking about Final Fantasy VII, Dragon Quest V, Pokemon (any) and Mario RPG.  Will these games really be forgotten in another 10 years?  I hardly think so.  If anything, this recent surge of WRPG love is most likely just a sign of exactly what I was talking about before.  WRPGs getting a lot more marketing and higher production values in the last 10 years.  JRPGs need to step up their game and meet the standards WRPGs have created in the west.  JRPGs are still doing good in terms of quantity, its the quality they're iffy on this generation.  Mostly because all the good JRPGs seem to be going to handhelds and the console JRPGs are hit and miss.  And regardless if there's a good JRPG, console or handheld, only a select few get any marketing.  And none on the level of say Mass Effect or Fallout 3.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I posted other for Sega, their rpgs rock