By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ericsson loses $235 million in 4th quarter, 5% market share

DaBuddahN said:
Sony Ericsson should just stop making crappy phones, and they will be fine.

My advice for Sony in this department:

1)  Put a 3.5mm headphone jack on all your music phones! Stop making me use the proprietary fastport or whatever to connect my headphones.

2)  Put out software to allow your phones to Sync with iTunes for both Windows and Mac. The third party software I used with my old w800 was flaky.

Make better phones again. We know you can do it Sony. 

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Get a grip people. NJ5 did nothing wrong here.

As for Sony Ericsson, they had best come up with something compelling to get back in the game.

My last two phones were SE and all I can say it boy-SE have lost the plot. They continue to use outdated tech on their new phones, such as resistive touch screen, have software issues and worst of all are pricey. I wouldn't expect them to last another 3 yrs on the market at the rate they are shrinking. Quite sad since they have created some real classic devices in the past, like the P800/900, K750i, T68 etc.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
SonyEricsson phones are VERY nice phones. Too bad they aren't successful in catering to a mass causal market. That's where the profits and marketshare really come from.

They don't target the "cheap phones" mass market, more the mid and high end, where they're getting eaten by competitors as justinian said.

Average selling price of their phones is more than 100 €.

And if they expaned their market to more of the masses, their would be a chance that potential profits from the masses can help offset the losses.  I hope you're not arguing with me because that's what I was implying.

:)

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
SonyEricsson phones are VERY nice phones. Too bad they aren't successful in catering to a mass causal market. That's where the profits and marketshare really come from.

They don't target the "cheap phones" mass market, more the mid and high end, where they're getting eaten by competitors as justinian said.

And if they expaned their market to more of the masses, their would be a chance that potential profits from the masses can help offset the losses.  I hope you're not arguing with me because that's what I was implying.

I am arguing :P

You said they're not succesful at catering to the mass market... I said they don't cater at all, they don't even try.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

They need to release an android phone or two. Get with the times.

Also RIM OS has had a couple bad quarters in north america. Their smart phone marketshare (the only one that matters) went from like 20% to 10%.

http://www.androidauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/AdMob-Q409.png

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:

I am arguing :P

You said they're not succesful at catering to the mass market... I said they don't cater at all, they don't even try.

Just because I'm not in the market to buy a particular product doesn't mean I cannot be convinced otherwise to buy that product if I learned more about it.  I might not need it.  But if I can afford it, like it, and can see a use for it, I can buy it if I want to.  No one is stopping a consumer from buying something more than they intended to.  Let's not be so closed-minded and face reality.

JaggedSac said:

As for Sony Ericsson, they had best come up with something compelling to get back in the game.

Outwardly, no.  But reading his past postings in regards to SONY related issues, it's hard for someone not to phantom that his intentions aren't... spiteful.

Jordahn said:
JaggedSac said:

Outwardly, no.  But reading his past postings in regards to SONY related issues, it's hard for someone not to phantom that his intentions aren't... spiteful.

It's no secret that I don't like Sony (though I used to). But that has nothing to do with the posting of this thread, I post every relevant financial news I can find.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Jordahn said:
JaggedSac said:

It's no secret that I don't like Sony (though I used to). But that has nothing to do with the posting of this thread, I post every relevant financial news I can find.

Sound cool.  Peace, Bro.