By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Ericsson loses $235 million in 4th quarter, 5% market share

disolitude said:
lol, if you post Sony Entertainment financials and they have losses, I'm sure we will see lots of posts how the Playstation division isn't part of Sony as well. :)

Otherwise, seems like the mobile market is no longer booming. I mean RIM, Apple are doing will...Anyone else having stellar financial results in mobile?

HTC is a smaller player than RIM or Apple, but they're posting steady growth. Not sure if that's translating into more profits for them, though.

I'm also not sure why Sony Ericson hasn't gotten the axe yet. It's pretty clear that they can't compete in this market, Sony should cut their losses and maybe consider rolling their mobile phone efforts into the PSP.

As to whether this thread should exist here or not, aside from being a Sony-related topic, games are becoming more and more important on mobile phones every year. As games are getting ported back and forth between phones, handheld game consoles, and home console download services, it's getting to the point that this web site should consider creating a Mobile forum category.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

the SE Xpeia 10 is not bad, check out some Videos and Pics from the phone's camera.
http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2009/11/14/xperia-x10-sample-pictures-and-sample-video/

I did not think Sony getting Involved with Ericsson, was a good Idea, seriously, did any of you have a Ericsson phone back 6-7 years ago, they suck, they were the worst cell phones out, ugly as hell bulky, they just sucked. Not even Sony could fix that. lol

kowenicki said:
loy310 said:
the SE Xpeia 10 is not bad, check out some Videos and Pics from the phone's camera.
http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/2009/11/14/xperia-x10-sample-pictures-and-sample-video/

its also insanely expensive.

se need to get a plan and stick to it... they keep swappoing between OS for their phones. 

I dont see how SE can now ever catch up with RIM, Apple in market share and Google in terms of cool and kudos.

Indeed, the price will kill the phone as always.

famousringo said:
disolitude said:
lol, if you post Sony Entertainment financials and they have losses, I'm sure we will see lots of posts how the Playstation division isn't part of Sony as well. :)

Otherwise, seems like the mobile market is no longer booming. I mean RIM, Apple are doing will...Anyone else having stellar financial results in mobile?

HTC is a smaller player than RIM or Apple, but they're posting steady growth. Not sure if that's translating into more profits for them, though.

I'm also not sure why Sony Ericson hasn't gotten the axe yet. It's pretty clear that they can't compete in this market, Sony should cut their losses and maybe consider rolling their mobile phone efforts into the PSP.

As to whether this thread should exist here or not, aside from being a Sony-related topic, games are becoming more and more important on mobile phones every year. As games are getting ported back and forth between phones, handheld game consoles, and home console download services, it's getting to the point that this web site should consider creating a Mobile forum category.

I used to work for Tmoble tech support and every exchange we did was for an HTC pocket PC. lol...that and the Sidekick.

But Im not surprised they are growing as they really are making hardware for everyone these days.

I honestly think there is room for growth in the data device market when it comes to gamers as none of the current devices appeal to me for my gaming purposes. So I agree with you...they should do a PSP2 mobile phone and scrap ericsson all together. I mean, that or...have MS do a proper Zune phone with Xbox live arcade support :)

Around the Network

A 40% drop in sales? Goodness.

Sony has experienced a pretty major drop in marketshare in virtually all of their markets. In a few -- notably Music Players, Game Players and now Phones -- these drops have been dramatic, as Sony has been disrupted by Apple and Nintendo. In others -- such as TVs -- the drop is less dramatic, but Sony is being relentlessly undercut by companies like Samsung that can produce products of similar quality at much lower cost margins.

It's a sticky situation. I think they'll need to compromise more, and may need to jettison more divisions.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

ameratsu said:

My advice for Sony in this department:

1)  Put a 3.5mm headphone jack on all your music phones! Stop making me use the proprietary fastport or whatever to connect my headphones.

2)  Put out software to allow your phones to Sync with iTunes for both Windows and Mac. The third party software I used with my old w800 was flaky.

As if Apple allow them with no hesitation xD

Bodhesatva said:

Sony has experienced a pretty major drop in marketshare in virtually all of their markets.

This is because they as corporation are completely out of touch with market and customers, always trying to sell some crazyness and believeness under a "premium" sauce. And what's most hillarious thing about this sad corp. is that they can't keep up with costs even with all those overcharges. Everybody sees their products being very VERY expensive, and it's more or less ok. Not everybody understands what a tiny margin Sony operates at, and this is exactly what makes these products absolutely out of the reality xD

Man, really, their days gone long ago, it's only that they haven't got it yet.

Grimes said:
What does this have to do with video games?

In case you haven't noticed, there is this device called the iPhone. It plays video games. It may not be to your liking, but there are millions of people using it to play video games.

There is a future for cell phone gaming, but Sony seems unwilling or unable to capitalize on it at the moment.

Sony just doesn't want to eat away potential PSP sales.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

dolemit3 said:
Grimes said:
What does this have to do with video games?

In case you haven't noticed, there is this device called the iPhone. It plays video games. It may not be to your liking, but there are millions of people using it to play video games.

There is a future for cell phone gaming, but Sony seems unwilling or unable to capitalize on it at the moment.

Sony just doesn't want to eat away potential PSP sales.

Well that's working out really great for them.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.