By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
leo-j said:
dobby985 said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
I wonder why just dance is selling so well?

Appealing concept + great promotion and advertising.  Too bad the game itself is evidently shit.

there is a song called just dance, it was the 3rd best selling single song in europe, and is the best selling female single in history in the U.S

Lady Gaga is a flash in the pan, flavour of the year etc... She will eventually go the way of Gwen Stefani and disappear.

yep, that's exactly why all her songs have gone #1.. and she is breaking pop records non stop .. Gwen stefani did none of that

I don't think that she broke any pop record, not the best single, grammy wins or nominations, albums sales... nothing.

The days or record-breaking in the music industry are gone, now that piracy is so high.

And, just like almost every pop artist in history, lady gaga will disappear, she had no impact on the industry and the genre, there will be nothing for her to be remembered for.

I mean, BING CROSBY is pretty much forgotten these days, why would lady gaga be remembered?

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Demotruk said:

Last year:

DS 390,264

Wii 344,420

PSP 198,002

360 179,705

PS3 159,922

PS2 98,567

Wii slightly up YoY.

PS3 very strongly up YoY.

360 down somewhat.

Nice, Wii can go up and at the same time the total PS3+XB360 can grow too (YoY), coexistence is proven possible once again. Take this, Malstrom! 

Actually initially, the flight upmarket can coincide with higher sales for the incumbents, only to see it fall to the ground when they are impaled on the sword of disruption

If you so like to think... It could even happen, but the more time passes without Wii exceeding 50% total sales, the less likely disruption gets.

And don't forget that unlike PC market, that has continuity and allows MS to never release its iron grip, console market hasn't, it's split in generations and nothing can grant Wii2 the success and disruptive power Wii has, at most the biggest continuity element new gen can offer is BC, that greatly helps at start, but never did more. For what we know, 8th gen could even be partially or totally disrupted by Apple, or Nokia, or Sega, or Google... or Oracle (NOT, j/k! ), leaving MS, Sony and Nintendo with a blank look.

nope, actually the Arc and NATAL represent that the disruption is going according to plan, these are what Christensen refers to as incumbent counter attacks, and seem to be a case of Sony and MS trying to cram motion into their own consoles

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

kowenicki said:
Xoj said:
kowenicki said:
monsterone said:
sony is becoming a playa' again. the quality of the ps3 should never had been in doubt. just had been to pricey for most. the ps3 will definately surpass 360 by the end of 2010

definitely you say?  doubt it.

do the maths and keep in mind we have just had a very well timed slim/price cut.

all consoles ahd a price cut :p

thats irrelevant in what we were discussing, we are talking about PS3 overtaking the 360, and the entry level price of the PS3 dropped significantly, the 360 one didnt.

PS3 still is more expensive

Nothing too unexpected really. PSP 2 should be imminent by the looks of it and the 360 needs something to pick it up, which it will have in a few days when ME 2 releases but how big of an impact will it have?
This will be an interesting year on Vgchartz.

Mummelmann said:
Nothing too unexpected really. PSP 2 should be imminent by the looks of it and the 360 needs something to pick it up, which it will have in a few days when ME 2 releases but how big of an impact will it have?
This will be an interesting year on Vgchartz.

I'm strongly considering using a gift card to get it and turning my PC into a console by hooking it up to the HDTV. The latest cinematic trailer looked pretty damn badass.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
leo-j said:
dobby985 said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
I wonder why just dance is selling so well?

Appealing concept + great promotion and advertising.  Too bad the game itself is evidently shit.

there is a song called just dance, it was the 3rd best selling single song in europe, and is the best selling female single in history in the U.S

Lady Gaga is a flash in the pan, flavour of the year etc... She will eventually go the way of Gwen Stefani and disappear.

yep, that's exactly why all her songs have gone #1.. and she is breaking pop records non stop .. Gwen stefani did none of that

I don't think that she broke any pop record, not the best single, grammy wins or nominations, albums sales... nothing.

The days or record-breaking in the music industry are gone, now that piracy is so high.

And, just like almost every pop artist in history, lady gaga will disappear, she had no impact on the industry and the genre, there will be nothing for her to be remembered for.

I mean, BING CROSBY is pretty much forgotten these days, why would lady gaga be remembered?

OK, you two have now have me going sideways in this thread.

Leo, exactly what are these records that have been broken by this singer you mentioned?

And by record I don't mean an old Milli Vanilli vinyl LP thrown across the room.

You might think she is the best thing since toilet paper - and there is nothing wrong with that - but don't twist the facts.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

Nice, Wii can go up and at the same time the total PS3+XB360 can grow too (YoY), coexistence is proven possible once again. Take this, Malstrom! 

Actually initially, the flight upmarket can coincide with higher sales for the incumbents, only to see it fall to the ground when they are impaled on the sword of disruption

If you so like to think... It could even happen, but the more time passes without Wii exceeding 50% total sales, the less likely disruption gets.

And don't forget that unlike PC market, that has continuity and allows MS to never release its iron grip, console market hasn't, it's split in generations and nothing can grant Wii2 the success and disruptive power Wii has, at most the biggest continuity element new gen can offer is BC, that greatly helps at start, but never did more. For what we know, 8th gen could even be partially or totally disrupted by Apple, or Nokia, or Sega, or Google... or Oracle (NOT, j/k! ), leaving MS, Sony and Nintendo with a blank look.

nope, actually the Arc and NATAL represent that the disruption is going according to plan, these are what Christensen refers to as incumbent counter attacks, and seem to be a case of Sony and MS trying to cram motion into their own consoles

I don't deny that Sony and MS are reacting to Wii, but even before their reaction is actually deployed, their "classic" business model is still keeping them afloat enough to deny Wii an overwhelming victory, and they are keeping their feet in both camps, successfully managing to keep on their side the part of hardcore gamers that aren't Nintendo fans. I see more likely that some poorly managed SW houses get badly burned by disruption, not having Sony's or MS' shoulders. If you don't believe me, you should believe numbers, the new market is roughly the same size of the old one and weekly sales aren't changing this situation, so the old market can't be marginalized and made niche or disrupted, unless the current situation radically changes. Your possible objection that disruption can take a lot of years to fully happen clashes with the generations discontinuity: when next gen starts, the current leader will have undeniably a strong position, but almost nothing granted, as Sony can teach us (but also Nintendo itself), while its competitors are given almost the same new chances. And don't forget that MS is ready to lose billions in the short term to damage its competitors and grab as much market share as it can, with the perspective of widely recover the investments in the long term (but on this side, Nintendo 1st party's incredible strength protects it from almost all the effects of a possible MS moneyhatting to subtract exclusives).

And then there are 3rd parties, a lot of which still not understanding Wii and so hurting themselves, indeed, while Nintendo happily occupies the space they refuse to take, but also providing a lot of fuel to the incumbents, either right now with "classic" games, buat also possibly in the future embracing Arc and Natal more than WiiMote and Nunchuck because PS360 lets them also show the fruits of how much they invested in lush graphics (and yes, I know most people, including me, prefer gameplay to graphics, but consider their point of view, they heavily invested on them, not showing them would mean losing all that money for nothing, while using them, now that they paid them, can mean luring that share of graphics whores and recovering at least some of the investments).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Demotruk said:

Last year:

DS 390,264

Wii 344,420

PSP 198,002

360 179,705

PS3 159,922

PS2 98,567

Wii slightly up YoY.

360 down somewhat.

and "according to plan" they will fail miserably ... ?

Time to Work !

libellule said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Demotruk said:

Last year:

DS 390,264

Wii 344,420

PSP 198,002

360 179,705

PS3 159,922

PS2 98,567

Wii slightly up YoY.

360 down somewhat.

and "according to plan" they will fail miserably ... ?

What Malstrom fans FAIL  to understand is that Christensen describes what happens when the incumbent miserably fails its counter attacks while the disruptor is successful in most of its attacks, but he never said or wrote that the incumbent is always unavoidably doomed to miserably fail nor he said or wrote that the disruptor (Edit: or wannabe so) is always granted to succeed in every move.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

360 is domed confirmed