By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Where the hell did this "domed" thing come from anyway?

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network

"But Christensen said!" Is Christensen the new Malstrom now that he has gone bonkers? Either way, I find it strange that people can't think for themselves sometimes.

Mummelmann said:
"But Christensen said!" Is Christensen the new Malstrom now that he has gone bonkers? Either way, I find it strange that people can't think for themselves sometimes.

You know, trendy experts, just like ideologies and religions, are good brain surrogates for a lot of people

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
libellule said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Demotruk said:

Last year:

DS 390,264

Wii 344,420

PSP 198,002

360 179,705

PS3 159,922

PS2 98,567

Wii slightly up YoY.

PS3 very strongly up YoY.

360 down somewhat.

Nice, Wii can go up and at the same time the total PS3+XB360 can grow too (YoY), coexistence is proven possible once again. Take this, Malstrom! 

Actually initially, the flight upmarket can coincide with higher sales for the incumbents, only to see it fall to the ground when they are impaled on the sword of disruption

If you so like to think... It could even happen, but the more time passes without Wii exceeding 50% total sales, the less likely disruption gets.

And don't forget that unlike PC market, that has continuity and allows MS to never release its iron grip, console market hasn't, it's split in generations and nothing can grant Wii2 the success and disruptive power Wii has, at most the biggest continuity element new gen can offer is BC, that greatly helps at start, but never did more. For what we know, 8th gen could even be partially or totally disrupted by Apple, or Nokia, or Sega, or Google... or Oracle (NOT, j/k! ), leaving MS, Sony and Nintendo with a blank look.

nope, actually the Arc and NATAL represent that the disruption is going according to plan, these are what Christensen refers to as incumbent counter attacks, and seem to be a case of Sony and MS trying to cram motion into their own consoles

and "according to plan" they will fail miserably ... ?

What Malstrom fans FAIL  to understand is that Christensen describes what happens when the incumbent miserably fails its counter attacks while the disruptor is successful in most of its attacks, but he never said or wrote that the incumbent is always unavoidably doomed to miserably fail nor he said or wrote that the disruptor (Edit: or wannabe so) is always granted to succeed in every move.

Actually he did, when the disruptor has its sword and shield, the disruptor always wins

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

CGI-Quality said:
postofficebuddy said:
Where the hell did this "domed" thing come from anyway?

A simple mis-spelling of the word "doomed" in a thread title of a thread about the PS3 being in trouble. This was sometime in early 2009.

Wasn't it a thread made by Squilliam that introduced the word? I think he did it deliberately.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

You know, trendy experts, just like ideologies and religions, are good brain surrogates for a lot of people

ROFL, I find it funny that people are so unwilling to think for themselves that they refuse to accept a proven theory when it is staring them right in the face, and Christensen is the guy who inspired Malstrom so I'm merely quoting the source mummel

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Oh wow 360 is doing fine and is not doomed, go 360 and ps3.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
libellule said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Demotruk said:

Last year:

DS 390,264

Wii 344,420

PSP 198,002

360 179,705

PS3 159,922

PS2 98,567

Wii slightly up YoY.

PS3 very strongly up YoY.

360 down somewhat.

Nice, Wii can go up and at the same time the total PS3+XB360 can grow too (YoY), coexistence is proven possible once again. Take this, Malstrom! 

Actually initially, the flight upmarket can coincide with higher sales for the incumbents, only to see it fall to the ground when they are impaled on the sword of disruption

If you so like to think... It could even happen, but the more time passes without Wii exceeding 50% total sales, the less likely disruption gets.

And don't forget that unlike PC market, that has continuity and allows MS to never release its iron grip, console market hasn't, it's split in generations and nothing can grant Wii2 the success and disruptive power Wii has, at most the biggest continuity element new gen can offer is BC, that greatly helps at start, but never did more. For what we know, 8th gen could even be partially or totally disrupted by Apple, or Nokia, or Sega, or Google... or Oracle (NOT, j/k! ), leaving MS, Sony and Nintendo with a blank look.

nope, actually the Arc and NATAL represent that the disruption is going according to plan, these are what Christensen refers to as incumbent counter attacks, and seem to be a case of Sony and MS trying to cram motion into their own consoles

and "according to plan" they will fail miserably ... ?

What Malstrom fans FAIL  to understand is that Christensen describes what happens when the incumbent miserably fails its counter attacks while the disruptor is successful in most of its attacks, but he never said or wrote that the incumbent is always unavoidably doomed to miserably fail nor he said or wrote that the disruptor (Edit: or wannabe so) is always granted to succeed in every move.

Actually he did, when the disruptor has its sword and shield, the disruptor always wins

I must have slipped into a parallel universe where faith can bend reality... Too much Planescape: Torment, I guess...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

dang, I'll lose my nsmbwii bet next week

Great numbers for my two favourite companies. Nice numbers for the other one.