By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Standard and Premium Memberships

What if VgChartz starts charging a monthly fee to view sales numbers?

I won't pay. 334 75.57%

I'll pay. 23 5.20%

I'll go to BugriChartz instead. 85 19.23%

Total:442

As NeoGAF always talks shit about VGC, it should be quite easy to devise a function to extract actual VGC data from what they are trashing

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

At first my answe was a 100% no. But the tools that ioi is talking about is what i have wanted to get my hands on for a very long time.

I wouldnt mind paying. If the price is right. Also i hope the will be a way to compare ps3/360 games only when looking at the top 50 chart. I am sick of it being littered with lots of DS Wii games that i dont really care about.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

ioi said:

Well since this thread has been created, it makes sense to fill you in on some of the plans.

For VGC 3.0 we are planning 3 levels of access for data:

• Free where you can see top 20 charts each week (top 50 rankings), top 10 per console (top 30 rankings), hardware, top 10 preorders (top 30 rankings), new features like milesones, weekly records. Will be enough to have an overview and to discuss trends.
  • Standard membership (~$99 per year) where you can see top 200 per week, top 50 per console, top 50 per publisher, top 100 preorders, extra comparison tools, maybe top level download charts, maybe no ads.
  • Premium membership (for industry) where you can see all data as well as some fancy tools for analysing revenues, year on year data, anticipation metrics plus much more.

So you won't HAVE to pay to view data but if you do subscribe it gives you access to more data. Unfortunately, the data-collection side to VGChartz has got to a point now where it is costing more to run than it is generating in ad revenue, therefore we need to move to a new costing model to continue to grow and improve the service. The data certainly won't be going anywhere but you'll only be able to see top-level data for free with the new site. It's more a case of adding new stuff and charging to use it than charging for what is already there.

r we going to be able to tell who is a standard/premium member like will they have a colored name or be able to look them up in like we can mods recent banned ect. in the community section?

also is there any1 besides u that will have this access w/o paying? like SA and mods contributors

will free members have access to games sales history in the GD section and even complete HW sales history?

around wen do u plan this all to happen?

in vgc 3.0 will u implement fit to screen for the site like gaf has so those w/o wide screen monitors wont have to scroll to the right all the time?

Play Me

didn't have time to read all the posts, but the only way I see a subscritpion working is if its not for the actual sales data, but you pay to get rid of ads. Basically you have two levels of users, paid and free, both have the same access to everything except the paid ones do not have to deal with any ads.

Would you guys be more happy if you got EVERYTHING you get now for free. In other words, nothing would be taken away. However, if you are a crazy numbers person or just totally love the website, you can pay to access more in-depth numbers. What do you think?

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network
loadedstatement said:
Would you guys be more happy if you got EVERYTHING you get now for free. In other words, nothing would be taken away. However, if you are a crazy numbers person or just totally love the website, you can pay to access more in-depth numbers. What do you think?

I'd be okay with that. I like the free/premium model. Just take out out the standard model and there you go!!!!!!

loadedstatement said:

I will be VERY pleased with this

I am very happy with everything we have now & all the chart tools we have & so on.

Its just if things get taken away & put into the "premium slot", it may be a bit of a let down as we will remember having those features & they won't be there anymore

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

As much as I love what they do, I have to deal with enough retarded, computer-slowing ads. I would never pay to see numbers on this site.

So do contributors get free Level 2 access?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

loadedstatement said:

What ioi was saying was that only the rankings for preorders 11-30 and games 21-50 will be shown, and not the sales. I don't like the idea of that. And I assume the GameDB would still be available, in its entirety, for everyone?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective