By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Standard and Premium Memberships

What if VgChartz starts charging a monthly fee to view sales numbers?

I won't pay. 334 75.57%

I'll pay. 23 5.20%

I'll go to BugriChartz instead. 85 19.23%

Total:442
makingmusic476 said:
loadedstatement said:
makingmusic476 said:
I'd also like to know how limiting numbers to certain subscriptions will affect the forums. Let's say somebody with a paid account posts the top 200 on the forums for all to see. I assume we'll have to remove such things? Well there be a private forum for paid subscribers to discuss anything pertaining to numbers only they have access to?

Sounds like it'll be a rather decisive move for the community.

ioi has answered that in this thread already. Something along the lines of how the data isn't exactly 'secret' as it is 'convenient'. So if someone is posting pages and pages of data, they will be dealt with, but if a number or two leaks out, it's no big deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see.  I like this.  It won't make people feel like they *have* to have a paid subscription.

Though I wish I could get one of those premium subcriptions.  I'm a total numbers whore, and know I'd be using the extra features constantly.  xD

As Staff, we get free Standard membership. I assume Premium would still cost the same amount.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
What's to stop one person with say an Industry Pass from just distributing the numbers an hour later after he gets them from VGC? Seems like this type of model if it is based solely around sales figures and data just wouldn't work.

Threat of being permabanned?

Khuutra said:
nightsurge said:
What's to stop one person with say an Industry Pass from just distributing the numbers an hour later after he gets them from VGC? Seems like this type of model if it is based solely around sales figures and data just wouldn't work.

ioi could just revoke the living Hell out of their membership if such a thing happened

Not if they did it anonymously 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

nightsurge said:

I'm fairly sure industry members can pay for more numbers than we get from NPD.  They seem to do almost exactly the same model and it works just fine.

Kantor said:
makingmusic476 said:
loadedstatement said:
makingmusic476 said:
I'd also like to know how limiting numbers to certain subscriptions will affect the forums. Let's say somebody with a paid account posts the top 200 on the forums for all to see. I assume we'll have to remove such things? Well there be a private forum for paid subscribers to discuss anything pertaining to numbers only they have access to?

Sounds like it'll be a rather decisive move for the community.

ioi has answered that in this thread already. Something along the lines of how the data isn't exactly 'secret' as it is 'convenient'. So if someone is posting pages and pages of data, they will be dealt with, but if a number or two leaks out, it's no big deal.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see.  I like this.  It won't make people feel like they *have* to have a paid subscription.

Though I wish I could get one of those premium subcriptions.  I'm a total numbers whore, and know I'd be using the extra features constantly.  xD

As Staff, we get free Standard membership. I assume Premium would still cost the same amount.

And that's the one I want.  :D

Around the Network
bugrimmar said:
I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD CHANGE THREAD NAMES AND EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS

show me how thx

You need to be an admin/mod, of course.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Well I'm probably not going to use this site once these changes come in.

I understand the reason behind the move but I used this site for its easy and free discussion of data, with that no longer possible I'll feel a bit of an outsider to the community (as I sure as hell ain't paying).

Rath said:

I understand the reason behind the move but I used this site for its easy and free discussion of data, with that no longer possible I'll feel a bit of an outsider to the community (as I sure as hell ain't paying).

The majority of useful data will still be there, though, even for free accounts

outlawauron said:
bugrimmar said:
I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD CHANGE THREAD NAMES AND EDIT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS

show me how thx

You need to be an admin/mod, of course.

Not even that.

1) Become extremely proficient in coding.

2) Approach ioi and ask for a job as Assistant Development Manager.

Only ioi and TalonMan can edit thread titles, edit names, etc.

Khuutra said:
Rath said:

The majority of useful data will still be there, though, even for free accounts

But the vast majority of the overall data won't be there. I feel this is going to somewhat divide the community.

Also (and this is perhaps slightly ironic) it'll be far more convenient and easy to discuss VGChartz data on other sites from now on. It'll most likely get leaked and then be posted elsewhere in a place the topic won't be locked and closed.