By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Standard and Premium Memberships

What if VgChartz starts charging a monthly fee to view sales numbers?

I won't pay. 334 75.57%

I'll pay. 23 5.20%

I'll go to BugriChartz instead. 85 19.23%

Total:442
naznatips said:
Chrizum said:
ioi said:
All totals would still be available, so the worldwide totals page would remain the same, yes.

We can now compare games sales data for 400 weeks at the Charts section. Will we need to pay for that in the future?

And what happens when you have a subscription and you're banned? Do you get your money back? (this could get ugly when people feel like sueing)

A simple provision in the terms of service stating that breaking the rules and getting banned voids your rights to the charts would suffice.

Honesly, that's not going to work. Imagine someone paying $100 and getting permantly banned the next day. VGChartz could seriously get in legal trouble with stuff like that.

Think about it critically.

Around the Network

I am extremely disappointed. This is my favorite site too. It's not worth it to pay. ;-;

Chrizum said:
naznatips said:
Chrizum said:
ioi said:
All totals would still be available, so the worldwide totals page would remain the same, yes.

We can now compare games sales data for 400 weeks at the Charts section. Will we need to pay for that in the future?

And what happens when you have a subscription and you're banned? Do you get your money back? (this could get ugly when people feel like sueing)

A simple provision in the terms of service stating that breaking the rules and getting banned voids your rights to the charts would suffice.

Honesly, that's not going to work. Imagine someone paying $100 and getting permantly banned the next day. VGChartz could seriously get in legal trouble with stuff like that.

Unfortunately for that person if they already agreed to the terms of service they have no legal backing. I'm aware that it sounds unfair, but your rights on the internet are basically zero. You only have rights to what's in the terms of service of whatever you're using. In fact, you know those terms of service you click through super-fast on any sort of program you download/install? Almost all of those have provisions for removing your access to the software if you break them. If your account is permabanned on World of Warcraft, guess what, you don't get a refund, because you broke the terms of use and they are very explicit on that.  Hell, Microsoft's terms of service allow them to brick your $300 360 at will, and Nintendo can do the same to your Wii.

I know you'd like to believe you have enough rights to have a valid suit if such a situation came up, but you really don't. You should start reading terms of service/use sometimes. They are an extremely powerful legal tool.

naznatips said:
Chrizum said:
naznatips said:
Chrizum said:
ioi said:

Unfortunately for that person if they already agreed to the terms of service they have no legal backing. I'm aware that it sounds unfair, but your rights on the internet are basically zero. You only have rights to what's in the terms of service of whatever you're using. In fact, you know those terms of service you click through super-fast on any sort of program you download/install? Almost all of those have provisions for removing your access to the software if you break them. If your account is permabanned on World of Warcraft, guess what, you don't get a refund, because you broke the terms of use and they are very explicit on that.  Hell, Microsoft's terms of service allow them to brick your $300 360 at will, and Nintendo can do the same to your Wii.

I know you'd like to believe you have enough rights to have a valid suit if such a situation came up, but you really don't. You should start reading terms of service/use sometimes. They are an extremely powerful legal tool.

There's one wee little difference though. Microsoft, Nintendo and Activision can afford lawsuits. VGChartz can't.

Chrizum said:
naznatips said:
Chrizum said:

There's one wee little difference though. Microsoft, Nintendo and Activision can afford lawsuits. VGChartz can't.

and what? one crackhead so far has sued Sony (?) for banning them from PSN forever because he has no friends?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/27/banned-psn-player-appeals-court-decision-sues-sony-again-for-1/

oh wait... Sony's case cost almost 0 in legal fees

As predicted, the judge dismissed his case after determining the First Amendment did not apply to Estavillo's claim.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

As long as you know what you're getting into. There's a lot of stuff you need to take into account when doing this.

ioi said:
I know exactly what we're getting into thanks! I just want to make you guys aware of the changes so you know what to expect.

You are serious?

bugrimmar said:

Will you pay? I think I would. But do you think a subscription scheme would destroy the site?

Its simple no.  Google is how I found this site in the first place.  I was trying to gather some information about the sales numbers.  If they start to charge then I would look somewhere else. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

why to get more money ?

ioi said:
Snesboy said:
ioi said:
I know exactly what we're getting into thanks! I just want to make you guys aware of the changes so you know what to expect.

You are serious?

About what?

The whole subscription thing.

You have to be! I want free numbers...Hey! Can you make me a contributor?!

I've done this site many great public services, like getting you to go back to "ioi".