By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No matter what you think, IGN is right.

Gnizmo said:
I wanted to type up a long rebuttal, but I just don't have the heart. Not worth it really. The short version is what you value is not universally valued. Online is a waste of programming time as it pertains to my personal enjoyment of a game. Same is true of DLC, and many other things. I don't are what you think should be standard for some arbitrary reason. I care about what actually adds to my game experience, and makes it more enjoyable. Nintendo continues to do extremely well in that regard.

So you're saying that Nintendo should just do the bare minimum and we should all be fine with that?

You probably wouldn't complain if NSMB Wii had no form of multiplayer local or otherwise. Neither would I. But I appreciate when developers put in the extra effort to make a better product. In fact, I expect that from Nintendo as well as Sony and Microsoft, as first party publishers. And Im sure you do too.

Around the Network

Its not all genius on top at Nintendo either, look at this tidbit for instance;

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/puzzle/warioware/news.html?sid=6102100

I know its an old piece but it seems like Iwata still feels this way and it is an archaic way of thinking imo.

griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:
No matter what you think, 10 million customers can't be wrong.

umm YES they can

how so?

10m people can be wrong about alot of things, for one saying that windows vista is better than mac...vista had tons of probs..but it still beat out macs, those customers were wrong *im one of them lulz*...they can be wrong, anyone can be wrong...just because everyone is doing somehintg it doesnt mean its the best thing to do *most of the time it does but not all the time*

YEKylieDog said:
I get tired with the "but gameplay > other things" defences. Is no reason why a game cannot have good gameplay as well as great other things.

Yes there is, you just don't CARE about the reason, so you choose to ignore it.

The Wii doesn't have HD graphics because Nintendo wanted to keep the entry price to owning their new console low, from launch.

The games don't havve amazing visuals because the console doesn't support them.

The Wii has shitty voice chat because it has to be safe for children, with some available opinion for inattentive parents to listen in.

The Wii has friend codes to prevent children from interacting with strangers against their parents permission.

The Wii has casual games because it is owned by a ton of casual gamers who like them, and children who would rather play a Spongebob game than Final Fantasy XIII. The core gamers and Nintendo faithful are in the minority.

That said, it is a completely ignorant myth that "the Wii has no good games."

Zack and Wiki

Dead Space Extraction

HotD:Overkill

Muramasa: TDB

Madworld

Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime Trilogy

DeBlob

Mario Galaxy

Mario Kart

Little King's Story

Punch Out

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Super Paper Mario 3

Brawl

New Super Mario Brothers Wii

Wii Sports

Wii Sports Resort

Shattered Memories

Rock Band series

Guitar Hero series

Okami

Animal Crossing

World of Goo

Virtual Console

Backwards Compatibility with Gamecube

A lot of those games are exclusive. The Wii is a damn fine next generation console, and it has a shitload of great games..

The thing is, we're internet fanboys. We discuss a plethora of games that we will never, nor ever have played, all day, and attempt to compare libraries of consoles to each other in an attempt to ascertain superiority.

The Wii is an easier target, because the nerd elite(entheusiast press, aka entheuastic fans who posted enough on the message forum to learn how to write a decent paper) tend to side with the consoles they play all the time, which are the consoles that let them take advantage of their expensive HDTVs and modern technology.

Truth is, neither HD console is very original, and the only reason they have anything on the Wii, is their graphics, and 3rd party support, which in reality, Nintendo couldn't do anything about to begin with. The HD twins are copies. They are very close too identical graphically, and thus,, ,can be ported to and fro easily. The Wii isn't. It's different, and thus, can't be ported to easily, and it often left out of the loop. That's the price you pay for being different, but not having as good of a library as the Xbox 360 dooesn't mean there are no good games. That's bull. Not that you implied that Kyliedog, but just in case you were thinking it.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

LOL funny stuff. IGN is about as wrong as feeding hamburger to a cow. Over the past 5 years they've become a shadow of their former selves, their editors all became these self-fulfilled prophets with an overbearing sense of entitlement. In fact, I think I'd take a non-gamers perspective on gaming more seriously and for more value than the people at IGN. Just food for thought.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:

umm YES they can

how so?

10m people can be wrong about alot of things, for one saying that windows vista is better than mac...vista had tons of probs..but it still beat out macs, those customers were wrong *im one of them lulz*...they can be wrong, anyone can be wrong...just because everyone is doing somehintg it doesnt mean its the best thing to do *most of the time it does but not all the time*

I didn't say 10 million people can't be wrong, I said 10 million customers can't be wrong. They have spoken with their dollar and are saying that they perfer NSMBWii to other games. Why is that wrong?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

ash3336 said:

No matter what you say about the editors at IGN, I think they are right.

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Good job taking one right out of IGNs playbook.  You setup a lot of people fore a good argument thread, just like IGN does every week.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

--OkeyDokey-- said:

So you're saying that Nintendo should just do the bare minimum and we should all be fine with that?

You probably wouldn't complain if NSMB Wii had no form of multiplayer local or otherwise. Neither would I. But I appreciate when developers put in the extra effort to make a better product. In fact, I expect that from Nintendo as well as Sony and Microsoft, as first party publishers. And Im sure you do too.

No. I recognize work beyond the simple lengthening of a features list. The work required to get those levels to be as fun and enjoyable as they are is immense. For some reason people completely forget that solid gameplay, and level design take a serious amount of work. As does bug testing, and fine tuning of mechanics. These are the areas Nintendo has spent the most time on recently. These are the areas of a game important to me. As such, I am perfectly happen. Claiming they are putting forth the bare minimum effort is either ignorant, hyperbolic, or trolling.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:

umm YES they can

how so?

I didn't say 10 million people can't be wrong, I said 10 million customers can't be wrong. They have spoken with their dollar and are saying that they perfer NSMBWii to other games. Why is that wrong?

its not wrong, but 10m customers CAN be wrong about thier purchase, NSMB is not a case though

radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:
radiantshadow92 said:
griffinA said:

umm YES they can

how so?

its not wrong, but 10m customers CAN be wrong about thier purchase, NSMB is not a case though

So you admit that the customers that bought NSMBWii were not wrong for buying the game?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."