By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan PRE-ORDER Chartz Thread - Will Be Updated Daily!

trestres said:

Yet Sports games on the Wii don't sell as much in Japan. WE has barely crossed 100k once in Japan on the Wii. Plus WE was huge on the PS2, on current gen consoles, not anymore.

In fairness, until the "Blue Samurai" version of WE2010, the Wii versions were also the last versions to launch, in some cases by up to six months.  Konami hasn't exactly handled the IP that well on Wii, it's no wonder they've had trouble building an audience.  They flubbed WE on DS pretty bad too (why isn't Playmaker on DS annually?)

I'm more surprised at their inability to build PES Wii in Europe though, given how huge Wii is there and how awful FIFA is on the machine... talk about a missed opportunity.

Around the Network

I think that DQX will sell well on the Wii or on any platform with a considerable base in Japan. My first post was just referencing too Soriku's post in which he did mention Wii's big base, which isn't as active and lively as it should be.

My whole opinion on this  Japanese third-party support thing for the Wii, is that Japanese devolopers should have tried a couple of years ago the Sengoku Basara 3 formula for the title's for which it is possible, but that it is now way to late to change things.

Hero_time88 said:

I think that DQX will sell well on the Wii or on any platform with a considerable base in Japan. My first post was just referencing too Soriku's post in which he did mention Wii's big base, which isn't as active and lively as it should be.

My whole opinion on this  Japanese third-party support thing for the Wii, is that Japanese devolopers should have tried a couple of years ago the Sengoku Basara 3 formula for the title's for which it is possible, but that it is now way to late to change things.

Oh, I don't disagree with that. But, I also think even a "sleeping" base works for something like DQ though, it's basically like Mario in terms of brand strength... even if people don't often play their Wii, they'll dust it off for Mario.  And in Japan, they'll also dust it off for DQ, with more mainstream games, the bigger absolute base invariably matters.

An "active" base tends to be a bigger issue for more focused or niche titles, and less so for mainstream ones.  Back when GameArts was developing Grandia for the Saturn, Famitsu asked them why they were making the game for Saturn and not PlayStation, and GA's response was basically that while PS had the far bigger base, Saturn had the more dedicated audience and they felt their specific game would actually do better there as a result (and it did btw).  I think it's much the same with PS3/Wii right now, the more "mainstream" stuff would do better on Wii (ie: DQ, Taiko, etc), the more "targeted" stuff would do better on PS3 (ie: Tales, Musou, etc).  Obviously there's specific cases where the opposite works out for whatever reason, but I think that's the general trend.

jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:

Oh, I don't disagree with that. But, I also think even a "sleeping" base works for something like DQ though, it's basically like Mario in terms of brand strength... even if people don't often play their Wii, they'll dust it off for Mario.  And in Japan, they'll also dust it off for DQ, with more mainstream games, the bigger absolute base invariably matters.

An "active" base tends to be a bigger issue for more focused or niche titles, and less so for mainstream ones.  Back when GameArts was developing Grandia for the Saturn, Famitsu asked them why they were making the game for Saturn and not PlayStation, and GA's response was basically that while PS had the far bigger base, Saturn had the more dedicated audience and they felt their specific game would actually do better there as a result (and it did btw).  I think it's much the same with PS3/Wii right now, the more "mainstream" stuff would do better on Wii (ie: DQ, Taiko, etc), the more "targeted" stuff would do better on PS3 (ie: Tales, Musou, etc).  Obviously there's specific cases where the opposite works out for whatever reason, but I think that's the general trend.

In a perfect world DQX and FFvXIII would be PS3/Wii multiplat day and date. I'm willing to bet the PS3 version would outsell the Wii version on both games. Well actually in a perfect world, they'd be moved to the 3DS, but I'd still like to see this showdown. Will never happen though.

ElGranCabeza said:
jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:

In a perfect world DQX and FFvXIII would be PS3/Wii multiplat day and date. I'm willing to bet the PS3 version would outsell the Wii version on both games. Well actually in a perfect world, they'd be moved to the 3DS, but I'd still like to see this showdown. Will never happen though.

Versus would sell more on PS3, but I think DQX would still sell more on Wii.  The significantly bigger base plus the wider appeal of the game would mean more Wii sales most likely... out of all the Japanese PS3/Wii day-and-date multiplatform games, two have sold better on PS3 (Sengoku Basara 3, WE2010 Blue Samurai) and one on Wii (Sonic World Adventure) and both are likely because their specific bases were more consolidated on those machines beforehand.  

Around the Network

04/10

01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd - 2479 pt (28)
02. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (First Print Version) - 313pt (1)
03. [PSP] God Eater Burst (Append Edition) - 306pt (3)
04. [Wii] Super Mario Collection: Special Pack.141pt (7)
05. [PS3] Tales of Graces F - 129pt (2)
06. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded - 118pt (1)
07. [PS3] Macross Trial Frontier: Hybrid Pack - 99pt (3)
08. [PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII - 75pt
09. [NDS] Super Robot Wars L - 63pt (2)
10. [PSP] Class of Heroes 3 - 59pt (1)
11. [PSP] Lord of Arcana - 44pt
12. [PSP] God Eater Burst (Limited Edition) - 40pt
13. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 - 39pt (2)
14. [Wii] Kirby Epic Yarn  - 38 pt (4)
15. [PSP] Tactics Ogre: The Wheel of Fortune - 37pt
16. [PS3] Naruto - Naruto - Shippuuden Narutimettosutomu 2 - 34pt (1)
17. [PS3] VANQUISH - 30pt
18. [PSP] Akb1/48 (Limited Edition) - 29 pt
19. [PSP] PSP DC I, II & III ~ Da Capo~ - 28 pt
20. [PSP] Sangokushi Engi ~ Dreamer Koihime ~ Limited Edition - 28 pt (1)

PSP ---> 9
PS3---> 7
NDS ---> 2
Wii ---> 2
360 ---> 0
PS2 ---> 0

MH still going strong :D

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

jarrod said:
ElGranCabeza said:
jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:

Versus would sell more on PS3, but I think DQX would still sell more on Wii.  The significantly bigger base plus the wider appeal of the game would mean more Wii sales most likely... out of all the Japanese PS3/Wii day-and-date multiplatform games, two have sold better on PS3 (Sengoku Basara 3, WE2010 Blue Samurai) and one on Wii (Sonic World Adventure) and both are likely because their specific bases were more consolidated on those machines beforehand.  

I disagree, I think DQX and FFvXIII would sell better on PS3. Now something like  Deca Sports or Karaoke Joysound would sell better on Wii.

Super Mario collection and Kirby continues to impress.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:

Super Mario collection and Kirby continues to impress.

kirby was at 12k according to the japan preview