By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only bad Wii games sell badly - Bloober

milkyjoe said:
akuseru said:

And how big is the userbase of the Wii compared to the GC? GC sold 21.74m worldwide, the Wii has sold 65m worldwide to this date. So the Wii userbase is 3 times bigger NOW (and continuing) than GC's userbase ever was. So of course there are more people out there to buy your games. Viewtiful Joe could've have 3x its sales if it had been released on the Wii right now. There are NO excuses for the lack of quality 3rd party games being sold on the Wii. imho, no excuse.

It seems the majority of Wii-owners only want "kiddy games", party games and QUALITY 1st party titles. All quality 3rd party efforts (quality for me) has failed miserably imo (No more heroes, Muramasa, Little Kings Story, A Boy and His Blob, Silent Hill: SM (fairly new game though), Okami, Zack & Wiki, Madworld, etc)... I am not bashing the Wii here, because it got a bunch of quality 1st AND 3rd party games, but to me it seems the majority of Wii owners just don't buy too many different games. They got their MAJOR SELLING 1st party titles, but compared to consoles sold, they should be selling a lot more games overall, no? Or am I just very wrong here? What is the attach rate on the Wii? Don't misunderstand, the Wii sells software alright, but it seems it only sells "those few top-sellers" if you understand what I'm saying.

edit: found the tie ratios and all, no prob. I really have to give it to 360 gamers. You guys buy A LOT of games!! Amazing! PS3 users: Shame on you, buy more games!

How do you explain the GC versions of Viewtiful Joe outselling the PS2 versions then, if userbase size is all that matters?

Same goes for Okami, the Wii version beats the PS2 version with half the userbase.

But no, it's just the Wii that has this problem...

I never said that. I'm not even gonna bother with people like you... Have a nice life...

But I could give you some pointers: First of all, it was released 1 year later on PS2. The game also had MANY other games on PS2 to compete with, how big is/was the GC's library compared to PS2's again? The PS2 had "thousands" of games to choose from. How many did the GC have, a couple of hundred? Now where did I say userbase was the only thing that matters? However, userbase certainly do matter when (quality/a certain genre/niche) games are few on a console. Since Madworld is one of the FEW games on the Wii that appeal to its market (if not the only, No More Heroes maybe), there are a higher chance that more people would buy this ONE game than if the game had "40 different competitors" on the same platform (read: Viewtiful Joe on PS2). Maybe GC didn't have many games like Viewtiful Joe, I don't know (but I think it's a rather one-of-a-kind game), because I'm not going to spend my time looking for the games. You can do it if you want, be my guest.

Where do you get your numbers from anyways? VGChartz have no numbers on Viewtiful Joe PS2 version and GC version is only tracked for Japan. As for Okami, PS2 version is only tracked in Japan and Wii numbers lack tracking of Others... Please tell me, I would love to know.

Ooops, guess I did bothered answering you... Damn... Waste of time, waste of life spent...

Around the Network

developers problems on the Wii are mainly this. They are making games they "Think" people will like and buy. For the HD systems, they are making games that they themselves like and want to play.

so besides being on the guessing side can make you make a game that people won't like tehre is also the problem of qualiyt. I dont' care what you say. When you are making a game that you are going to like and want to play versus a game made for others, youa re going to put more care into the game you like.

DnE said:

Be carefuly with the tie ratios, the X360 has had a years extra to get a higher tie ratio. The actual amount of software sold monthly over the current hardware base is similair for all 3. Take a look here

As for the wii titles you mentioned take a look at titles which can be compared to them and you will see they mostly havent done badly. And have good reasons when they did do badly:
No More Heroes - Suda 51's best selling title
Little King Story and Zack and Wiki - Mixed message product confusing the market
Madworld - Comparitive to GodHand which it outsold well
Okami - Outsold PS2 version (using a much smaller userbase)
A boy and his Blob - Great game but who is the market? Advertising and so on?
Murumasa - a very niche game

So if the companies were expecting these to sell more then they are to blame. They needed to do their target market research and also proper targetted advertising.

Yeah, I know. I checked it out and they basically sell the same amount of SW. However, I'm not really talking about sales expectations. Because as far as I know, the games are selling according to what the devs expected. However, games like these (imo the quality 3rd party efforts on the Wii) still achieve LOW numbers. No matter if they are profitable or not. An example could be Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. Quality game in a niche genre that still reaches pretty high numbers and are EXCEEDING the developers expectations BY FAR, profitable or not. Niche games and the games I see as quality 3rd party games really struggle to achieve this on the Wii. They sell enough to break even or whatever, but that's it... With that being said, Valkyria Chronicles is imo a better game than all 3rd party efforts (quality or not) on the Wii, so therefore it's super amazing high sales might be more justified ^

I just want to say; I am NOT bashing the Wii, I just want to figure out why games like Madworld, No More Heroes, etc etc "struggle" on the Wii. They might not "struggle" financially, but imo I think they all fail to achieve amazing results.. I just think it's sad, that's all =p

akuseru said:

And how big is the userbase of the Wii compared to the GC? GC sold 21.74m worldwide, the Wii has sold 65m worldwide to this date. So the Wii userbase is 3 times bigger NOW (and continuing) than GC's userbase ever was. So of course there are more people out there to buy your games. Viewtiful Joe could've have 3x its sales if it had been released on the Wii right now. There are NO excuses for the lack of quality 3rd party games being sold on the Wii. imho, no excuse.

No, it just does not work that way.  There are countless examples showing that it doesn't.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
akuseru said:

No, it just does not work that way.  There are countless examples showing that it doesn't.

Userbase is flat out bullshit as a sales argument, with few exceptions (like Shenmue couldn't make a profit because the Dreamcase userbase was too small). Most of the time, a game sells what it sells for loads of other factors.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
akuseru said:

Yeah, just overlook that I wrote COULD'VE had (have =P) 3x its sales.... You know, that means, could've sold 3x the copies or could've NOT sold 3x the copies. And yes, it works that way to some extent. A bigger userbase = more potential customers. Ofc there are many other factors like other games released on the console, etc that play an important role to sales. But if a bigger userbase have nothing to do with sales, what is the point of developing games for a console with a bigger userbase? Or do you actually believe New SMBWii would've sold 10m copies with 1/3 of the userbase? I certainly do not hope so... I am really looking forward to your, sorry, bs reply, lol.

"But if a bigger userbase have nothing to do with sales, what is the point of developing games for a console with a bigger userbase?"

Okay, it doesn't affect individual game sales, but the sales overall matter. Look at the Wii and DS total software shipments, which are double the other systems. Or last gen. The GC shipped between 200-250 million games, but the PS2 shipped nearly a billion and a half.

That's why you support them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

akuseru said:

DnE said:

Be carefuly with the tie ratios, the X360 has had a years extra to get a higher tie ratio. The actual amount of software sold monthly over the current hardware base is similair for all 3. Take a look here

As for the wii titles you mentioned take a look at titles which can be compared to them and you will see they mostly havent done badly. And have good reasons when they did do badly:
No More Heroes - Suda 51's best selling title
Little King Story and Zack and Wiki - Mixed message product confusing the market
Madworld - Comparitive to GodHand which it outsold well
Okami - Outsold PS2 version (using a much smaller userbase)
A boy and his Blob - Great game but who is the market? Advertising and so on?
Murumasa - a very niche game

So if the companies were expecting these to sell more then they are to blame. They needed to do their target market research and also proper targetted advertising.

Yeah, I know. I checked it out and they basically sell the same amount of SW. However, I'm not really talking about sales expectations. Because as far as I know, the games are selling according to what the devs expected. However, games like these (imo the quality 3rd party efforts on the Wii) still achieve LOW numbers. No matter if they are profitable or not. An example could be Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. Quality game in a niche genre that still reaches pretty high numbers and are EXCEEDING the developers expectations BY FAR, profitable or not. Niche games and the games I see as quality 3rd party games really struggle to achieve this on the Wii. They sell enough to break even or whatever, but that's it... With that being said, Valkyria Chronicles is imo a better game than all 3rd party efforts (quality or not) on the Wii, so therefore it's super amazing high sales might be more justified ^

I just want to say; I am NOT bashing the Wii, I just want to figure out why games like Madworld, No More Heroes, etc etc "struggle" on the Wii. They might not "struggle" financially, but imo I think they all fail to achieve amazing results.. I just think it's sad, that's all =p

So we have the following points from the discussion:
- niche titles on the wii seem to sell to expectations but rarely exceptionally beyond.
- these titles sales are similiar or better than previous generations of similiar titles
- PS3 has a niche great sale in Valkyria Chronicles, but best quality.

So I think this boils down to questions of:
- quality
- theme
- advertising
- competition and console library
- consumer base

"I just want to figure out why games like Madworld, No More Heroes, etc etc "struggle" on the Wii."

What the hell makes you think they would have sold better on other systems? And don't give me tentatively related games as proof of otherwise (just in case you were going to do that). For Madworld, show me a brawler with an atypical art style that sold better. For No More Heroes, show me a Cell Shaded hack and slash game with a lot of meta moments that sold better, and then explain why it's the first Suda 51 game getting a sequel equals "struggling".

The problem is you have fallen for the myth that niche titles sell less because they are on the Wii, and not because they are niche.

For the most part, as a user-base grows it becomes able to support more kinds of games with high sales and it can support more games being released at the same time without having (too) much of an impact on each other. When a system gets to selling more than 50 or 60 Million units worldwide, and is popular enough that most (somewhat) dedicated gamers owns one (even if they own a HD console as well) then the only reasons your game sold poorly was because people rejected it or because people didn’t know about it. Now, being that the Wii has sold many million selling core titles and Nintendo doesn’t seem to have difficultly selling any game on it, I don’t think you can realistically claim that there is something implicit about the Wii that makes gamers reject a certain kind of game on the Wii; which would imply that people are rejecting games because of their quality or because the game is not that appealing in general.

To demonstrate my point, how many third party Wii games that (supposedly) sold poorly because they were on the Wii do HD console fans wish were released on their system?