By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only bad Wii games sell badly - Bloober

Procrastinato said:
By that logic, MadWorld and Dead Space: Extraction should have sold like hotcakes. They were pretty good games.

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy should have outsold CoD:MW2 on the HDs, because each one is a WAY better game than MW2, and there are THREE of them in the package, AND its only $50, not $60.

Somehow I think they've missed something along the way, and Capcom has just a bit more experience than some small-time dev, at judging the market. Just maybe.

No, by that logic, MadWorld and Dead Space sold badly because they are pretty bad games, and MP Trilogy is a worse game than MW2. 

Prove that they aren't. 

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Hisiru said:
Let's wait for the true test: MH3 and TvsC.

Both games would sell well on HD consoles but I can't see games like Madworld and The Conduit selling well on the x360 or PS3.

Why wouldn't mad world sell well on the ps3 or 360?

The conduit is understandable since its not as good as the average PS3/360 shooter.

As a Mad World owner...  I understand why the game didn't sell well.  It's just not a game that a lot of people will want to play.  It's an ok game with some very unmarketable qualities.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

That doesn't apply to all.....

68soul said:
Metallicube said:
Procrastinato said:
By that logic, MadWorld and Dead Space: Extraction should have sold like hotcakes. They were pretty good games.

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy should have outsold CoD:MW2 on the HDs, because each one is a WAY better game than MW2, and there are THREE of them in the package, AND its only $50, not $60.

Somehow I think they've missed something along the way, and Capcom has just a bit more experience than some small-time dev, at judging the market. Just maybe.

Mad World is a good game, but far too short for a $50 game, should have come out of the gate at $30, or had far more content. It was also over the top violent and a very niche type of game.

Dead Space: Extraction is a game that nobody wanted; a spinoff of an HD series that is on rails, and we have enough on rails shooters as it is on Wii.

MPT is a great game and great value for the content, but most people who want these games already own them. I only got it because I was able to sell my copies of MP1 and 3, and I never owned 2.

There is ALWAYS a reason why a game does not sell on Wii, even a good game (and no it is not the fault of Nintendo, nor the fault of TeH casualz!!1)

Your examples are totally correct and well explained, but sometimes, good games just can't catch a mainstream audience for some mysterious reasons: Okami always comes to my mind, a game of such a quality should easily have been (at least) a million seller, and then... it only sells a little bit more than 500k on two of the most successful consoles ever... very mysterious...

Another strange thing: some games are supposed to fail due to a "kiddy look"... someone here told about Psychonauts (not released on a Nintendo console), but we could mention "Zack and Wiki", "Little King's Story" or "De Blob": quality games... colourful and cartoony, OK, but quality games, and they should "click" with the usual Nintendo userbase: and they just don't, or only have a "niche success"...

In the past, i liked to view the Nintendo's "core userbase" as more open-minded than the ones of the other console makers, but with time, i realize that these people may be sheeps, too (but with other kinds of games): if a great action/adventure has Zelda written on it, it sells 7 millions, and when it's Okami, only 3% of these 7 million people will buy it...

If a quality game needs to have "Nintendo" written on it to be "really" successful, then, there's really a problem, and i can easily understand the doubts expressed by many in the industry... even if to know some success, they should think about quality FIRST, which most just don't, at least not on Wii and DS like they usually do anywhere else (Ubisoft bein' the worst in that vein)...

Little King's Story might be the one and only Wii game where I am genuinly perplexed as to why it didn't catch on. Although I have a couple of theories, such as the strange kiddy image not meshing with the complex and difficult gameplay, and the obvious lack of advertising. I still think it should have sold more though, it was pretty accessible I thought, and one of the most fun Wii games I've played. But really, almost any Wii game that didn't sell I could probably offer a good reason as to why it didn't sell, whether it be lack of advertising, niche concept, or crappy shovelware. It's all about knowing how to market your product and make it accesible, along with creating a genuinly fun game that will please as many people as possible.

And yes, I guess people tend to gravitate towards Nintendo games, sometimes blindly without questioning them, but you have to take a step back and question why that is. There is a reason people do this, because Nintendo has earned the trust of many with their quality games. If you buy a new Zelda game from Nintendo, you pretty much know you're going to get quality. This doesn't include the CDi abominations of course, which were not made by Nintendo :)

In the case of 3rd party efforts on Wii, it becomes far more difficult to trust them, and rightfully so, as 90% of them turn out to be crap. I will never get why so many 3rd parties can't crack the "secret" of making a quality Wii game when Nintendo continues to do so, but hopefully one day that changes, and once it does, the sales will follow.

I agree ^~

The fact is how many on-rails do we need , i got the original TUC but didnt pick a copy of Darkside Why ? for the same reason i did'nt pick a copy of dead space ext. cuz i dont want more on-rails give a game tha worth my 50 bucks like No more heros ^~

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network

This guy is cool.

Our logic is far simpler: if the game doesn't sell, we did something wrong.
*sniff*

Those are the most beautiful words I've heard all generation.

*cries*

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Wanna see even how games with no name sell well when they are truly great ? Look at murumasa , it did well ... and its very true that Mad World is amazing game that over in 3 hours ...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

ahhh Mad World. I was playing that for a while. It was really cool. I put it down one day and never picked it up. I guess I didn't want to go through the monotony of getting to Boss Fight again against the twins.

Mad Worlds game play just didn't click. It plays like a 2d brawler done in 3d. These kinds of Brawlers are better multiplayer. I bet shorter levels, increased replayability by finished unlocks and making the game 2 players would have done wonders.

Game selling is more about selling an experience. If they all ready have the experince why should they by another?

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I can see the logic in some of the "MPT wasn't a new game" comments, and maybe that rails shooters are too niche, but calling MadWorld niche is basically calling God of War niche. In other words, its not.

You could argue that it doesn't fit the Wii demographic, *at all*, which makes it niche *on the Wii*, but... you'd basically be agreeing with Capcom's statements then, not this guy. It was way too short, however, I'll give you that.