By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Only bad Wii games sell badly - Bloober

Metallicube said:
Procrastinato said:
By that logic, MadWorld and Dead Space: Extraction should have sold like hotcakes. They were pretty good games.

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy should have outsold CoD:MW2 on the HDs, because each one is a WAY better game than MW2, and there are THREE of them in the package, AND its only $50, not $60.

Somehow I think they've missed something along the way, and Capcom has just a bit more experience than some small-time dev, at judging the market. Just maybe.

Mad World is a good game, but far too short for a $50 game, should have come out of the gate at $30, or had far more content. It was also over the top violent and a very niche type of game.

Dead Space: Extraction is a game that nobody wanted; a spinoff of an HD series that is on rails, and we have enough on rails shooters as it is on Wii.

MPT is a great game and great value for the content, but most people who want these games already own them. I only got it because I was able to sell my copies of MP1 and 3, and I never owned 2.

There is ALWAYS a reason why a game does not sell on Wii, even a good game (and no it is not the fault of Nintendo, nor the fault of TeH casualz!!1)

Your examples are totally correct and well explained, but sometimes, good games just can't catch a mainstream audience for some mysterious reasons: Okami always comes to my mind, a game of such a quality should easily have been (at least) a million seller, and then... it only sells a little bit more than 500k on two of the most successful consoles ever... very mysterious...

Another strange thing: some games are supposed to fail due to a "kiddy look"... someone here told about Psychonauts (not released on a Nintendo console), but we could mention "Zack and Wiki", "Little King's Story" or "De Blob": quality games... colourful and cartoony, OK, but quality games, and they should "click" with the usual Nintendo userbase: and they just don't, or only have a "niche success"...

In the past, i liked to view the Nintendo's "core userbase" as more open-minded than the ones of the other console makers, but with time, i realize that these people may be sheeps, too (but with other kinds of games): if a great action/adventure has Zelda written on it, it sells 7 millions, and when it's Okami, only 3% of these 7 million people will buy it...

If a quality game needs to have "Nintendo" written on it to be "really" successful, then, there's really a problem, and i can easily understand the doubts expressed by many in the industry... even if to know some success, they should think about quality FIRST, which most just don't, at least not on Wii and DS like they usually do anywhere else (Ubisoft bein' the worst in that vein)...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Around the Network

Double post, sorry...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Okami didn't even get advertised, no?

68soul said:
[...]

Another strange thing: some games are supposed to fail due to a "kiddy look"... someone here told about Psychonauts (not released on a Nintendo console), but we could mention "Zack and Wiki", "Little King's Story" or "De Blob": quality games... colourful and cartoony, OK, but quality games, and they should "click" with the usual Nintendo userbase: and they just don't, or only have a "niche success"...

[...]

The problem with Zack and Wiki -- I haven't played the others and thus I am refraining to make any comments -- is that the "kiddy look", as you say it, communicate the consumer it is a kids game. Zack & Wiki is brutally difficult and very few kids will find anything in that game but frustration. I am very sure it was returned by many parents and enjoyed none or very little word of mouth publicity.

Products for kids should have an appropriate challenging level, which should be far easy to most adults. If you want to sell a really challenging game, you should communicate that with the right visuals in the cover and marketing campaign. This is very very basic and Capcom still made this mistake. I blame on them for the failure.

Madworld was very well advertised and hyped, and definetly a good game.. but it sold very little..

the only games that sell well are the either VERY well established franchises and Nintendo First party games

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network

Why MH Tri sells that well 1 Million baby because simply is a real Wii game not a port not a PS2 graphic a real Wii game so if Capcom make more efforts than I'm sure lot of gamers will jump in.

This guy is only saying to this so people might actually notice his WiiWare game...

leo-j said:
Hisiru said:
Let's wait for the true test: MH3 and TvsC.

Both games would sell well on HD consoles but I can't see games like Madworld and The Conduit selling well on the x360 or PS3.

Why wouldn't mad world sell well on the ps3 or 360?

The conduit is understandable since its not as good as the average PS3/360 shooter.

Probably the same reasons Beyonetta is not selling so well. Both games are good, but do not a peal to a lot of people. 

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

68soul said:
[...]

[...]

Well its about word of mouth as well, as someone said it was a painfully difficult game, and something people (the average person not the enthusiast)would not recommend to their friends.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

There are plenty of examples of good games selling poorly and bad games selling well, and not just on the Wii, but that doesn't change the fact that for the most part, if you make a good game, you will have a higher likelihood of seeing strong sales.

VGChartz