By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft slowly leaving too...

Metallicube said:

And people wonder why so many gamers listen to Malstrom.. His predictions continue to manifest themselves before our eyes (at least his gaming predictions). Just like he predicted, more and more 3rd parties are getting burned by their cheap ass shovelware, since the expanded audience is smarter than they anticipated and not buying into their "casual division" crap, so now they are all retreating to the markets they feel safest with; the HD market. But in the end I believe this will be their downfall if they focus too much on the distant 2nd and 3rd place consoles, with the rapidly increasing development cost coupled with the declining of the core market.

This is only good new for Wii owners, because for one, it lessens the diluting of the quality of Wii's library with less shovelware and makes it easier for the gems to stand out. Two, it opens the door for a wave of new indie devs who ARE willing to make quality games for the console.

Actually, Malstrom has maintained all along that nearly all 3rd party support would shift to the Wii, leaving the HD consoles short sticked for the remainder of the gen. This was also the belief of most of our users in here but now the opposite is happening. Malstrom is a religion in here (the seams of his celestial being have been torn rather heavily lately though, with his crazy rants and pompous use of the index finger and know it all attitude everyone is starting to see him for what he is) and I bet he has a shrine dedicated to himself and his glory at home as well.

I'm sorry for the rant but the Malstrom worship needs to end, he does not know more than the rest of the world combined, he's probably some college blogger who's attended a couple of semesters of business classes, he certainly comes off as one.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

And people wonder why so many gamers listen to Malstrom.. His predictions continue to manifest themselves before our eyes (at least his gaming predictions). Just like he predicted, more and more 3rd parties are getting burned by their cheap ass shovelware, since the expanded audience is smarter than they anticipated and not buying into their "casual division" crap, so now they are all retreating to the markets they feel safest with; the HD market. But in the end I believe this will be their downfall if they focus too much on the distant 2nd and 3rd place consoles, with the rapidly increasing development cost coupled with the declining of the core market.

This is only good new for Wii owners, because for one, it lessens the diluting of the quality of Wii's library with less shovelware and makes it easier for the gems to stand out. Two, it opens the door for a wave of new indie devs who ARE willing to make quality games for the console.

Not to be frank, but he only predicts the obvious and why it becoming true was because he always cite Christensen on his blogs. If you read the book about disruption and blue ocean, its all there. He didnt make the blogs out of his own thinking. Dont let his blogs fool you, there are many more predictions of his that arent coming true and Im not talking about the Obama Mccain fiasco either. Like the casuals are really the arcade generations of the 80s, he always keep saying that 3 years in it never manifest. It wont manifest even three years from now arcade type gameplay fizzled out for a reason. Why downloadable arcade titles are popular right now why facebook games and flash games are popular same reason.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I imagine how joyfull the hardcores must be now that they now Petz, Babis and Imagine series are coming for their consoles as well.

Above: still the best game of the year.

"But in the end I believe this will be their downfall if they focus too much on the distant 2nd and 3rd place"

Wii market share < 50 %

AC2 - 5.7 million
MW2 - 14.9 million
GTA4 - 13.8 million

NMH - .47 million
MW - .4 million
Conduit - .38 million

...I don't think companies are worried looking at those numbers.

Rising dev increases? Yeah... maybe next gen but this gen they are lowering. Dev kits are lowering... engines are lowering... how much one person can do in a certain time period is increasing...

Spin... spin... spin... Many big named publishers have been riding the Wii lately... no matter what... losing support is not a positive thing... I love how when activision was hell bent on Ps3 price drop everyone was up in arms about it... just 1 developer bluffing to get more money... no one followed suit... But now that its the wii its okay?

letsdance said:
"But in the end I believe this will be their downfall if they focus too much on the distant 2nd and 3rd place"

Wii market share < 50 %

AC2 - 5.7 million
MW2 - 14.9 million
GTA4 - 13.8 million

NMH - .47 million
MW - .4 million
Conduit - .38 million

Looking at those numbers they aren't, but looking at their internal numbers of how much development costs and marketing are for the HD consoles, I am certain they are very worried. Most titles on HD are not MW2 or GTA4.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network
bmmb1 said:
letsdance said:

Wii market share
AC2 - 5.7 million
MW2 - 14.9 million
GTA4 - 13.8 million

NMH - .47 million
MW - .4 million
Conduit - .38 million

Looking at those numbers they aren't, but looking at their internal numbers of how much development costs and marketing are for the HD consoles, I am certain they are very worried. Most titles on HD are not MW2 or GTA4.

Obviously these businesses know more than you... if they are saying HD is the way to go and Wii isn't then I don't think they are too worried about dev costs... your right... not every game has those budgets. Some have the budgets of Wii games... those only sell a measly 3 million after a year though. /rolls eyes

bmmb1 said:
letsdance said:

Wii market share < 50 %

AC2 - 5.7 million
MW2 - 14.9 million
GTA4 - 13.8 million

NMH - .47 million
MW - .4 million
Conduit - .38 million

Just like most titles on the Wii aren't Nintendo's.

Gamerace said:
TMNT bombed super hard. While by all accounts it's a great fighter, there's just no reason to buy it if you own SSBBrawl which is superior in all respects. I was looking at it at $15 and still couldn't justify a buy.

No idea what they expected from Academy but that also went to $20 extremely fast.

Rabbids Go Home is a flop in NA but sells well in Others which I just don't understand. I understand people wanting Rabbids to remain mini-games, and saw numerous people complain (amazon) that it was too repetitive and boring but still it deserves better sales.

Just Dance being the stand out success is just sad. It certainly won't encourage anyone to make quality games for Wii.

i think this guy is on to something... he wouldn't find a reason to buy one game because nint already have made one in of the same type but better than ubisoft... so nint is to blame because they do very good games (its their platform... would be really strange if they didn't make good games) and have a tittle of almost any type of game so others (3rd party devs) dont get much sun in the wii beach (metaphorically speaking)... well more money to nint and a bit less games to gamers...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Ahh well, more money for Nintendo then.

Not that I mind, though. Their HD efforts are usually so far above their Wii efforts that I'm glad they're doing this.

bmmb1 said:
letsdance said:

Wii market share < 50 %

AC2 - 5.7 million
MW2 - 14.9 million
GTA4 - 13.8 million

NMH - .47 million
MW - .4 million
Conduit - .38 million

you are right about development costs, its definitely more expensive to develop for HD consoles, but marketing? is it cheaper to advertise a game for wii than for the HD twins? why? TV ads could be in SD to advertise a HD game!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4