By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft slowly leaving too...

makingmusic476 said:
Wii fans:

They're only hurting themselves! They'll lose more money elsewhere because of sky high development costs! Wii is the way to go!

PS3/360 fans:

Anything not Nintendo sells like crap on Wii! Just makes games for ps3/360! It's the obvious choice!

Reality:

This gen is not like last gen. Last gen developers could focus all their efforts on one primary platform, occasionally porting to others for some extra cash. This gen a choice has to be made, and it isn't an easy decision in the slightest. Developers more often than not are losing out on both sides of the fence because of a split market, and it seems that most of the big publishers are choosing to stick with what they know rather than charting new territory with the Wii.

I agree what they're doing is rational, and I personally wouldn't object to developers opting to do what they do best.  I do, however, object to them waging a scorched earth strategy against the Wii's market by dumping their worst games on it while simultaneously putting their best games on the competing systems, and adopting a disparaging attitude toward the portion of the market they've chosen not to target.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Around the Network

You know... when a salmon swims upstream, he ain't coming back.

Is it au revoir, Ubisoft?

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

They never supported Wii properly in a first place, so its not that much of the big deal. If they limit the number of crappy games they are releasing thats better.

"Disaster has occured for Nintendo, next gen might be catastrophical for them or for 3rd parties."

It will happne to third parties, Nintendo is secure now in their path. As for third parties, more and more of them are drowing, and going to high development costs in the HD twins is gonna speed up their death, unless they jump on the Wii boat.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Mummelmann said:
I love how every developer that doesn't support the Wii fully are utter shit. Boycott confirmed?

Of course they're full of shit (Ubisoft). Remember when they said they were going to have games of "Nintendo-like quality" on the Wii? Not that anyone expected that to be true, but they didn't even make proper attempts.

Now they say they'll refocus on the PS3 and 360, as if they had ever focused on anything else. Yeah, they're full of shit.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Wii fans:

They're only hurting themselves! They'll lose more money elsewhere because of sky high development costs! Wii is the way to go!

PS3/360 fans:

Anything not Nintendo sells like crap on Wii! Just makes games for ps3/360! It's the obvious choice!

Reality:

This gen is not like last gen. Last gen developers could focus all their efforts on one primary platform, occasionally porting to others for some extra cash. This gen a choice has to be made, and it isn't an easy decision in the slightest. Developers more often than not are losing out on both sides of the fence because of a split market, and it seems that most of the big publishers are choosing to stick with what they know rather than charting new territory with the Wii.

Spot on IMHO.

The Wii has a unique control scheme and totally different level of technical specification, the PS3 and 360 seem similar from technical specification but have different architectures and my move further apart with Natal/Wand, and none of them, not even the Wii, has got total dominance across all demographics and regions (note I don't mean sales, I know Wii has most sales in all regions, but for example it sure doesn't have the majority of the online FPS crowd).

This means developers and publishers need to think a lot more carefully, and with a lot more research and knowledge, than probably ever before, and clearly their success rate hasn't been perfect by any means at making this adjustment.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

By the way, regarding development costs do note that this is the company whose CEO said he expects average budgets to be $60 million per game in the next gen:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31331241

Just in case anyone needed proof that Ubisoft is either insane or likes to pretend so.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
By the way, regarding development costs do note that this is the company whose CEO said he expects average budgets to be $60 million per game in the next gen:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31331241

Just in case anyone needed proof that Ubisoft is either insane or likes to pretend so.

60 million dollar? Damn. Simply damn.

It looks like a second collapse of the game industry is coming.

Then we can use the very, very sad saying: Every time a game flops, you can hear a developer go bankrupt. 

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Mummelmann said:
I love how every developer that doesn't support the Wii fully are utter shit. Boycott confirmed?

Please then, enlighten us as to why they're not. Show us the quality titles we should rush out and purchase.

Does Nintendo even need 3rd party support? I think that everyone just buys their console for Mario and Zelda... And since Ubisoft's, EA's and Capcom's whitedrawal doesn't seem to bother most of VGChartz users...

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising