By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Delayed

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Jaaau! said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

If nothing there are two objective criteria to judge a physics model, whether it's correct and whether it's updated often enough for the speed the simulated car will reach. 800Hz for example should be enough to "feel" a road modeled with 25cm granularity at 360km/h (=100m/s) as (100m/s)/0.25m=400Hz and we must multiply by 2 for the sampling theorems.

Add a potato to the mix.

That's around 12cm, so it would need 1600Hz!!!

But it's not moving!!

Seriously now, I thought you were kidding.  If you are not, then I don't understand quite a lot of things on your post.  For starters how m/s /m results in Hz?  Oh wait I got taht!!

Around the Network
Jaaau! said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Jaaau! said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

If nothing there are two objective criteria to judge a physics model, whether it's correct and whether it's updated often enough for the speed the simulated car will reach. 800Hz for example should be enough to "feel" a road modeled with 25cm granularity at 360km/h (=100m/s) as (100m/s)/0.25m=400Hz and we must multiply by 2 for the sampling theorems.

Add a potato to the mix.

That's around 12cm, so it would need 1600Hz!!!

But it's not moving!!

Seriously now, I thought you were kidding.  If you are not, then I don't understand quite a lot of things on your post.  For starters how m/s /m results in Hz?  Oh wait I got taht!!

Good! Anyway, FM3's 360Hz, unless they model wheels at even higher frequencies, means that driving the player could feel road differences modeled at up to 0.5m detail up to 90m/s speed, that's 324km/h, quite good. Actually it can be safely assumed that small irregularities like surface's texture are filtered enough by tyres and suspensions and that except rallies and off-road competitions tracks have quite a continuous path without abrupt irregularities, so 0.5m should be enough.

Edit: recent "hardcore" PC racers model physics at even higher frequencies, anyway.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BigBoobieHead said:
And Slomo, you talk about this 'Off Topic' chatter when your were like the first person to mention competitors in this thread. You said it possibly got delayed to make sure it matched competitors features - I just established that it already exceeds the competition in 90% of the areas important in sims. You also say Forza is good in the eyes of the critics, but thats not what Im even talking about. Look back, this is about Forza not being good enough to win over GT fans in general, so just because critics say its good doesn't mean those used to GT will.

Anyway, Im not talking here anymore. The end.

You only proved something in your own mind, I personally disagree with much you've written, there was no proof at all just YOUR opinion.

If the game hasn't been delayed to add new features then why the delay now?  Stop being in denial, it's blatantly obvious they've had to react to what competitors have added to their games in the last 6 months.  My point stands that the primary reason the game keeps getting delayed is to add new features, features I'll add that weren't going to be present at last years E3 when they've suddenly realised they had to up their vision one better. 

I specifically stated competitors because I meant the likes of Forza, Need for Speed Shift, Grid, Dirt 2, etc which have all added some new takes on the racing genre (albeit it not all of them sims), the reason I didn't name those competitors is because of posters like yourself that must turn every thread regarding either Forza or GT into some sort of contest.  I would finally add the only game that does win any contest is those that are released and being played by the public now, and I include every racer released this gen while PD continue tweaking their game.  Off topic chatter is only such when it is actually off topic, I think my point above proves my comments were valid (and hence ON topic) unlike the several pages of Forza v GT in this thread that weren't.

I've tried to be not too offensive in this post and answer your critiques of my posts given you don't want to continue talking, which is fair enough.