By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dante's Inferno - The "God of War Killer"

maverick40 said:
yeah i played the demo,was not impressed at all by DI!!a complete rip off of gow. I nearly got sick at the end of the demo when you jump on the monsters back and control it to smash open the door....a carbon copy of gow. At least try and be inventive with your ideas EA.

No, it isn't!

its more like this:

Dante: "hey, everyone look at me, i am riding a beast that is designed to ride! I'm standing up here, taking my time and steering it with its steering wheel horns! Woohoo!"

Whereas Kratos fights a Cyclops until he is beaten, then jumps on him, and repeatedly stabs his blades into his back, to make him walk and lash out his club in pain towards the enemies until he is almost dead, then Kratos rips his eye out and continues with his rampage, after this little nuisance!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
libellule said:
for Gow3 is really different from bayonetta

I never compare them

Bayonetta is like the hardcore beat them all experience (= ninja gaiden)

Gow is more something for everybody that is a LOT easier and less deep. It is still an amazing game

Would you mind explaining this bit a little more? I constantly hear how God of War lacks 'depth' and I find it highly perplexing...

I seem to be the only one who is interested in DI. I got the demo and I enjoyed it. Not so much that I think it will be better than GoW III in any way, but it will be a worthy entry into the hack'n'slash genre. So far DI is my number 2 H'n'S title behind GoW III.

I know some people are gonna say "but, but Bayonetta". All I can say is I liked the DI demo more than the Bayonetta Demo.

Unfortunately for DI (and Bayonetta) I'll only be buying one H'n'S game and it will be GoW III.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Kantor said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kantor said:
maverick40 said:
yeah i played the demo,was not impressed at all by DI!!a complete rip off of gow. I nearly got sick at the end of the demo when you jump on the monsters back and control it to smash open the door....a carbon copy of gow. At least try and be inventive with your ideas EA.

To be fair, they did improve on the creature controls. But it was clearly an idea taken from GoW, yes.

Dante's Inferno isn't actually a bad game. It's just not as good as the game it's blatantly ripping off. IMO, based on all three demos,

God of War III >>>>>> Dante's Inferno >>>>>> Bayonetta.

Did I play a different demo from you guys?  0_o

The demo I played ended after the fight with Death.

Which demo did you play?

The demo began with the fight with Death, pretty much. Then you did this very God-of-War-esque descent thingy, killing enemies of course, and then there was the sealed door which opens when you kill everyone, from God of War, and finally you ride a massive beast and use him to break down a door.

Now that I think about it, you're right.

Basically, you fight some easy enemies, Death comes to kill you, you kill him, you go home, your wife is dead, then you fight some weak losers, then... I seem to recall seeing an "End of Demo" screen, but maybe I just quit.

DI demo was good, but i dont see how a pervert like Dante who is into sadomasochist pain pleasure thing, sitting knitting his nipples etc can beat Kratos.

I wonder if Dante used non-flammable cloth when he sewed it onto himself because it could be a health hazzard around the flames of hell :S

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Kantor said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kantor said:
maverick40 said:

To be fair, they did improve on the creature controls. But it was clearly an idea taken from GoW, yes.

Dante's Inferno isn't actually a bad game. It's just not as good as the game it's blatantly ripping off. IMO, based on all three demos,

God of War III >>>>>> Dante's Inferno >>>>>> Bayonetta.

Did I play a different demo from you guys?  0_o

The demo I played ended after the fight with Death.

Which demo did you play?

The demo began with the fight with Death, pretty much. Then you did this very God-of-War-esque descent thingy, killing enemies of course, and then there was the sealed door which opens when you kill everyone, from God of War, and finally you ride a massive beast and use him to break down a door.

Now that I think about it, you're right.

Basically, you fight some easy enemies, Death comes to kill you, you kill him, you go home, your wife is dead, then you fight some weak losers, then... I seem to recall seeing an "End of Demo" screen, but maybe I just quit.

I forgot the "Wife is dead" part.

To be honest, the first time I quit, it was before I'd even beaten Death, because the first part of the demo and the Death battle were just painful. The next day, after seeing some better-than-terrible demo impressions on VGC, I decided to attempt to finish the demo. I plodded through the painful bit, and then it was pretty good for a while. It actually did some original stuff. Most of which fell flat on its face, but the thought was there. And then there was the giant beast thingy, and then it ended.

I did prefer it to Bayonetta, but that was more out of hating Bayonetta than particularly liking Dante's Inferno.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Wait a minute...your evidence for saying that DI will "kill" a Sony-exclusive game is quotations from two of the most...prominent 360...aficionados on the site? And the second one is somewhat vague, don't you think?

Stop rubbing it in. I'm trying my best here. I'm buying the 360 version of Final Fantasy for goodness sake :'(

By painful, do u mean painful to play or painful to look at :S

LOL...why even feed this thread?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

libellule said:
for Gow3 is really different from bayonetta

I never compare them

Bayonetta is like the hardcore beat them all experience (= ninja gaiden)

Gow is more something for everybody that is a LOT easier and less deep. It is still an amazing game

I semi-agree with you there. I do see that Bayonetta is more in the NG mold than the GoW mold, but it's a sub-genre thing not a totally different genre thing, so comparisons with Bayonetta are legtimate IMO.

I disagree on the depth comment. I initially stayed away from GoW because, without playing it for more than about 10 minutes, I thought it looked like a rather shallow game. Then I actually played it and I really appreciated its depth. Seems to me lioke Bayonetta could mostly become a 1 trick pony gameplay strategy wise: all you need to do is become a master at witchtime and nearly every enemy becomes an easy beat. Well that's the impression the demo left me with, so I'm happy to be enlightened on that point.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix