By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 smoothing beyond that of high-end PC graphics card

Garnett said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
Garnett said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
Garnett said:
leo-j said:
marc said:
Yes yes... Go play some high end PC games then come back and tell me that your console can handle as many objects, and effect on high settings as a $400 PC.

Never compare a console to the PC. You will get splattered & left to rot under a bus. My Radeon 3850 makes Fallout 3 look like its playing on a XB720 or PS4 and that card is 2 generations old and I have at least 8 mods running that quadruple the number of enemies in game. Last I checked the PS3 had trouble maintaining 30fps in vanilla Fallout 3 at about medium PC settings.

Fallout 3 is one of the worst looking games this gen on consoles..

Play killzone 2 and then come back and say the ps3 can't handle good graphics.

Fallout 3 looks bad on PS3? Sure

On 360 its gorgeous.

Yeh cause Im sure the difference are so HUGE that the ps3 version looks like a ps1 game compared to 360, funny thing is when games like U2,KZ2,heavy rain,GT5 which ppl can see that is a graphically advanced comapred to multiplat and 360 games ppl are so quick on the "but it's not that huge of a difference" but then the same ppl makes big deal out of mini differences from most multiplats "ZOMG no AA on ps3 version or you can see batmans cape its not black on 360 ZOMG 360 is better", is this really how sad you ppl are?

1.UC2 graphics are NOT that good, the only good thing i can say about them is the lighting thats it. 

2.Heavy Rain has GTA graphics. (on high on PC, there still improving so i cant really say yet)

3.Fallout3 does look better on 360, it has better textures and what not.

4.GoW3 AND KZ2 are easly the power house graphic kings on PS3. 

Thats for you. 

now Marc

1.PC is NOT hard to dev for like PS3 is.

2.When the Fallout3 devs made it they had to work with the PS3/360 and PC. Which means the one that is hardest to dev for gets the least results.

Uhh ok im done here im not even going to continue cause most of the things you said is opinions.

U2 graphics not that good?....wow even after all the best graphics award....=.=

Heavy rain has GTA graphics? wtf.....makes no sense...=.=

Fallout 3 looks better on 360? so the difference are not as big as your implying if so then you must also think Dragon age on ps3 looks vastly supirior than 360 with the same .5 score difference? =.=

Many people on here agree that KZ2 > UC2,UC2 Is just easier to look at because its colorful. The textures are bland but the colors are vibrant.

Heavy Rain and both GTA Have what in common? Very bland graphics, but Heavy Rain has facial expressions down to the tea.

I never said Fallout 3 was a last gen game on PS3, I said it looks better on Xbox 360, so unless he played it on 360 then he couldnt of said it was one of the worst looking console games. Its like me saying Dragon age  is fugly when im playing the gimped version.

@Reasonable

Since the PS3 has 40 more gflops than Xbox 360,in the processor division, and the devs make the extra glops go for the graphics,would it mean the 360 and PS3 are even? 

I'd say if a game on PS3 properly exploits the GPU/SPU combination then titles should be even on both or maybe even a tad better on PS3 - although that's debatable because both only have 512 memory.  The PS3 is definately more of a challenge to code for though, I believe based on the evidence, and assuming both Sony and MS keep improving their SDKs I guess technically the PS3 might always be slightly harder to develop for.

One advantage the PS3 does have, in titles like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3 (and MGS4 too) is big titles with engines designed specifically for it.  MS strategy has been more to rely on other developers, so while it's seen some great graphical titles such as Gears, they have been on third party engines tuned to the 360.  Reach (and Forza 3 recently) are arguably only two titles really built from the ground up for 360 to exploit its HW fully.  Halo 3 used an exclusive engine, but it's clear the engine under it is more Halo 2.5 than Halo 3, probably because MS wanted Halo 3 out fairly early in 360 lifecycle meaning Bungie had to balance exploiting the 360 with getting the game fully complete in time to meet launch dates.  Reach I think will have the first Bungie engine developed to try and fully exploit the 360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

@Reasonable

Since the PS3 has 40 more gflops than Xbox 360,in the processor division, and the devs make the extra glops go for the graphics,would it mean the 360 and PS3 are even? 

I'd say if a game on PS3 properly exploits the GPU/SPU combination then titles should be even on both or maybe even a tad better on PS3 - although that's debatable because both only have 512 memory.  The PS3 is definately more of a challenge to code for though, I believe based on the evidence, and assuming both Sony and MS keep improving their SDKs I guess technically the PS3 might always be slightly harder to develop for.

One advantage the PS3 does have, in titles like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 3 (and MGS4 too) is big titles with engines designed specifically for it.  MS strategy has been more to rely on other developers, so while it's seen some great graphical titles such as Gears, they have been on third party engines tuned to the 360.  Reach (and Forza 3 recently) are arguably only two titles really built from the ground up for 360 to exploit its HW fully.  Halo 3 used an exclusive engine, but it's clear the engine under it is more Halo 2.5 than Halo 3, probably because MS wanted Halo 3 out fairly early in 360 lifecycle meaning Bungie had to balance exploiting the 360 with getting the game fully complete in time to meet launch dates.  Reach I think will have the first Bungie engine developed to try and fully exploit the 360.

Thats the one thing i really hate about the 360, the devs really dont try to push it at all. Its either because

1.The devs are fine with ok graphics and not really pushing it. They just want the game to be done.

2.The PS3 is holding it back, if your developing for both systems and you want a even game on both systems then your gonna hold one back so that the other system can catch up. (This couldnt be true because no real exclusives are pushing it either besides Gears and A.W)

Garnett said:

@Reasonable

Thats the one thing i really hate about the 360, the devs really dont try to push it at all. Its either because

1.The devs are fine with ok graphics and not really pushing it. They just want the game to be done.

2.The PS3 is holding it back, if your developing for both systems and you want a even game on both systems then your gonna hold one back so that the other system can catch up. (This couldnt be true because no real exclusives are pushing it either besides Gears and A.W)

I think that was unavoidable for MS due to their approach and lack of 1st party studios, particularly any associated with cutting edge engines - even Bungie, who are good, have arguable never really been at the forefront of cutting edge engines, with every Halo titles lagging what a Valve or an Epic or an Id was doing.

They got very close with Gears, though, and I expect that with Reach and I'm sure another Gears (because I think Gears 3 will be on 360 now as MS clearly want it to remain viable for a while yet, if only to give Natal time to make an impact) it will see more titles pushing the HW more.

Due to its design getting more out of the 360 should actually be a little easier than on PS3, although the PS3 may (that's only a may based on some stuff I saw from Naughty Dog regarding Uncharted 2) have a slightly higher upper ceiling if code is built specifically for it and uses CPU/GPU/SPU as optimally as possible.

One advantage for us gamers if both the PS3 and 360 remain on market for a while (apart from saving some money) is that both are sure to see more and more really well coded games exploiting the HW really well.  Unless the devs really do get lazy!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
Garnett said:

@Reasonable

I think that was unavoidable for MS due to their approach and lack of 1st party studios, particularly any associated with cutting edge engines - even Bungie, who are good, have arguable never really been at the forefront of cutting edge engines, with every Halo titles lagging what a Valve or an Epic or an Id was doing.

They got very close with Gears, though, and I expect that with Reach and I'm sure another Gears (because I think Gears 3 will be on 360 now as MS clearly want it to remain viable for a while yet, if only to give Natal time to make an impact) it will see more titles pushing the HW more.

Due to its design getting more out of the 360 should actually be a little easier than on PS3, although the PS3 may (that's only a may based on some stuff I saw from Naughty Dog regarding Uncharted 2) have a slightly higher upper ceiling if code is built specifically for it and uses CPU/GPU/SPU as optimally as possible.

One advantage for us gamers if both the PS3 and 360 remain on market for a while (apart from saving some money) is that both are sure to see more and more really well coded games exploiting the HW really well.  Unless the devs really do get lazy!

I have a feeling REACH Will be a slightly better looking ODST, Meaning short play through,Although it has a hole new MP so i dont know, and the graphics are not gonna be that amazing.

I personally dont think multiplat devs will really push either console, i think it will be them trying to make PS3 version equal with the 360 version. Now i can only hope exclusive devs keep pushing both consoles as it provides better games.

Garnett said:

@Reasonable

lol, again talking as if exclusives don't exist.

Around the Network
gamings_best said:
Garnett said:

@Reasonable

Not true.

Garnett said:
gamings_best said:
Garnett said:

@Reasonable

Not true.

and I retract my pervious statment

As long as it looks good. I mean you cant really tell the difference between XBox360 and ps3. Even if you could, its not huge enough of a difference. Please for all we know we are going to go blind.

PS3 IS A BEAST BABY!!

DaBuddahN said:
^LOL are you serious? They're saying it can pull off good smoothing, not that is has PC-level graphics! -__- Maybe you should read before giving an uninformed opinion.

Yes, but a lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand this.