By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 smoothing beyond that of high-end PC graphics card

thismeintiel said:
Boy, the PC lovers really high-jacked this thread. Are you guys really that sensitive that just because some console has done something different, maybe even better, you have to jump all over it? PC gaming may not be what it used to be, but is that really any reason to become hostile? Besides, everyone's moving on to consoles, even Crytek. And why not, it's a smart choice, especially for consumers.

You put down $500-$600 at launch (~$200-300 if you wait) on hardware and you're set for this gen (6-8 years). All games are guaranteed to run. With a PC, they are constantly putting out newer Graphics Cards and other various parts that can effect gaming. And with the lack of standardization that is on consoles, you will probably have to buy a newer card, or maybe more ram, as more advanced games come out. Plus with a console they are always finding better ways to utilize its hardware, so we get better looking games. Games that can stand toe to toe with PC games. They may not be the most optimized graphics, but they still impress. Besides most people won't even take the time or money to upgrade their PC's to be able to play on the highest of settings, anyway. And even Crisis, which is still a good looking game by todays standards, isn't perfect.

And really, to just come out and say that UC2 and KZ2's graphics suck? How bias and just untrue that is. Especially when gaming sites are giving them awards and praise in that area, this one included. They may not be perfect, but they are definitely better than the majority of what's out there. If you love PC gaming, that's all fine and dandy. But the second you start bashing another platforms graphics/gameplay for no real reason at all, that's when you start crossing the line between fan and "fanboy."

uh no.  first of all we are just coming in at times and are just bewildered how often ps3 people have to boast about their graphics and their game the best ever and soooo pretty.  they obviously don't have a pc.  if they did they would not be saying pc can't or doesn't have as high graphics games.  and then the constant thinking pc games of multiplats look the same as console versions is just laughable.  Do they never learn that the pc version will always look way better (there are a few exeptions where a dev is a moron and ported to pc with same or worse specs somehow)

and again it seems all we do is say how you guys are constantly WRONG about the price of computers.  most of our graphics cards we have had a couple years or if we just bought them are all like <100.  and they are going to last us for MANY years.  Sure we will probably upgrade in 3-4 years, but it doesn't mean we had to.  I upgraded some parts of my computer, ram, gc, what not, but it didn't allow me to play any new games. I could already play every game there was.  And my computer was bought back in 2004.  Sure I could only play crisis on low setting, but for 200 i can now play it on high.  and my cards will last me a long time.  And you know what, in 5-6 years i can throw down 100 dollars for upgrades (not the best mind you) and be better than your ps4.  You know why?  because I don't have to buy a new case, don't have to buy a new power supply, don't need new blu ray/dvd drives, and other things that your new ps4 will have to include in price.  I can go to bargain bin 1-year old things and outperform you any day.

as for showing pics of these hd games are just laughable like kz2 and uc2, is that your joy in life.  showing a picture of a game.  seriously i am so annoyed by the 20 new topics every day to just show off new PICTURES for a game.  What happened to stories or how a game is fun.  all it seems is you guys care about how pretty it looks, and if it does look pretty you somehow won.   as for your amazing ps3 games such as uc2 and kz2 i have played both and was expecting to shit my pants and need glasses becase my eyes would be fried by the awesomeness of the games graphics by your guys reasoning.  but you guys hyped them too fuckign much that i felt let down and was not impressed at all by the graphics, they were just another set of linear boring story games with shiny graphics.    don't like online multiplayer, only play local multiplayer fyi. 

Around the Network

Please stop comparing the cell to a chip...just no comparison at all

http://www.vgchartz.com/sigs/output.php?userid=60726%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

resurrection

just thought I would post this
http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GF100-Architecture-and-Feature-Preview/?page=2
it details the 32x CSAA that is implemented in the upcoming GF100 cards from Nvidia

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

1337 Gamer said:
wow this thread totally died...

lol...Yes, it did.  Its started with a strong debate, but it got lost in translation...

I def did love this thread...it gave me something to think about..

Around the Network

I def did love this thread...it gave me something to think about..

@ irstupid

Really, my point was that it's just incredibly silly and bias for all these PC guys to bash the graphics of console games.  Of course they are going to be behind PC's, as these things are updated pretty much annually.  Crysis came out in 2007, 2 years into the this console gen, and even some of the better cards out at that time couldn't play it on high settings with no frame drops.  So to say that the graphics for UC 2 and KZ2 suck or are bad is just ridiculous, since it's on static hardware that is 3 years old at this point.  Not to mention the vast majority of the gaming community disagree.  Besides, it's not like anything on PC just completely blows those games' graphics out of the water.  I'm not saying that the graphics aren't better, cause they are, just that it's not that huge of a leap.  As much as people tout Crysis as still being the graphics king of all platforms, it's still not perfect, and next gen consoles will be able to pull off graphics even better than it.  And don't forget that we still have at least 2-3 more years to go on for this gen of consoles, so the graphics are only going to get better as developers find better ways to use the hardware.  Though, I'll be glad when graphics have peaked, then there will be no point for a graphics comparision.

There's also the issue I mentioned about how everyone is switching to consoles, even Crytek.  I would imagine that's partly because it's easier to develop on a system that doesn't constantly change, as well as the fact that console gaming is more popular than it ever was.  Never have we had a gen where the audience was so large and diverse that we have a very good chance of the 2nd AND 3rd place consoles will sell over 50 mil units when all is said and done.  That's a lot of customers you can reach, ones that don't have to worry about updating any type of hardware to play your game.  Which I'm guessing the majority of PC owners don't worry about upgrading their graphics card beyond what was in it at purchase.  This is probably why the best selling games on PC really don't require that great of a graphics card to get the most out of them, i.e. The Sims 1&2 and WOW.  And these reasons are why I find it very strange for some gaming sites, like IGN, to ask if console gaming will die in the future.  If anything it will continue to grow stronger.

Just don't confuse my messeage.  I'm in no way trying to bash PC gaming or PC gamers.  I'm just raising critism at those who come into threads about games like UC and KZ, where most people are saying how fun they are to play and how good they look, and just downplay them by saying that such and such game on PC just "completely blows it out of the water" and that "compared to X game on PC, those graphics look like crap."  No matter what platform you compare them to, those graphics look pretty damn good. 

P.S.: I'm guessing you were referring to someone else about the pic thing, cause I didn't post any.