By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 smoothing beyond that of high-end PC graphics card

richardhutnik said:
almcchesney said:
hey richardhutnik pulling a multiplat is like grabbing a game on windows 95 and trying to play it on windows xp and complaining its inferior because of bugs due to compatibility issues, if a multiplat where to be re-written for both consoles and "optimized" i have no doubts which one would take the cake, and OP thats a good article not too much new though, recently i did a research paper for my college course over the cell broadband architecture and since 2007 all the articles said that it would be faster and more efficient than any processor out there, (its actually being utilized in the worlds second fastest computer in the world). but the thing is getting the talent to utilize it.

So, this means that if a game is on the PC also, then the PC version would look the same as console versions?

Anyhow, we are talking about anti-aliasing here.  If there is some technique that will somehow make the PS3 anti-aliasing look better than the 360, it should be used.  But, developers haven't, because these techniques haven't gotten out.  There is no excuse to say, "Well all games developed across platforms look the same" because the PC versions usually look superior.   The only thing you can use to accurately measure how normal game development works, is to go multi-platform.  It is in the practical environment of this that you see what game libraries are like.

So, what I am saying is that it isn't a simple "slam dunk" to say the PS3 is clearly superior by a wide margin than the 360 (aka a "beast") if the games aren't showing it, and the information isn't getting out.  And yes, the PS3 and Cell do have awesome tricks in them.  But they need to get utilized to matter.  So, it is good to end up writing about such, such as here.

game aren't showing it? uncharted 2, killzone 2, GT5 (especially against forza), are nothing to compare all of the have features xbox360 gpu cant do.

HDR 16 FP: uncharted drake fortune, x4 antialising 1280x720p in GT5P and X2 in 1080p , x16 in the saboteur. the thing, multiplatform developers dont use the SPU, at all. other than physics.

Around the Network
iLLmaticV3 said:
The Cell is a very powerful monstrosity of a processor.

its no doubt the cell is very powerful but its the most complex processor, its been reports year in year out saying how diffcult to develop on the cell. However, devs like naughty dog, sucker punch, kojima production, and more who made exclusive games to the PS3, seem to find a way round the bend.

we can say its been  3 years plus already yet most developser are having a hard time working on the cell. but yeah know thats what they said when the emotion engine came out.

AFAIK PS3 was supposed to have TWO cell processors in the beginning and then they switched to a traditional CPU/GPU situation. The GPU on xbox260 is a little bit better because of its ability to do 2x AA for free.

vv888 said:

After playing Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2,Gotta say Cell is a fucking great CPU,and shity devs can shup up and start learning now,you just still don't know how to use it,that's all.

LazyDevsCounter ++

vv888 said:

After playing Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2,Gotta say Cell is a fucking great CPU,and shity devs can shup up and start learning now,you just still don't know how to use it,that's all.

Until people actually work in the industry, and understand the concept of deadlines, and the demands required to produce a game, I believe these comments about developers being "lazy" and being "shity" and needing to "learn", are WAY out of line.  The reality of the marketplace doesn't afford developers the opportunity to supposedly master every nuance of a system to capitalize on it, PARTICULARLY on a system that is in last place in console sales.  If you don't think this is so, then you would equally whine about how the Saturn underperformed against the original Playstation.  And, you would of likewise supported the Jaguar, which was technical superior to everything else that was out at the time.

Upset at the state of affairs on how the PS3 doesn't get treated right?  Well, why not yell at Sony for not providing the proper development environment for for showing what the PS3 can fully do?  It is a job for a company to make development easier, not the third-part developers to have to figure this out from scratch.  Sony needs to get libraries that provide superior anti-aliasing to its third-party developers, and also make sure that more Bayonettas don't happen in the future.

Around the Network

its true the cell is one complex thing to work on, how ever what bridge the developers and the cell is the "MIDDLEWARES" which at this point sony is not really looking into it.

Yes yes... Go play some high end PC games then come back and tell me that your console can handle as many objects, and effect on high settings as a $400 PC.

Never compare a console to the PC. You will get splattered & left to rot under a bus. My Radeon 3850 makes Fallout 3 look like its playing on a XB720 or PS4 and that card is 2 generations old and I have at least 8 mods running that quadruple the number of enemies in game. Last I checked the PS3 had trouble maintaining 30fps in vanilla Fallout 3 at about medium PC settings.

marc said:
Yes yes... Go play some high end PC games then come back and tell me that your console can handle as many objects, and effect on high settings as a $400 PC.

Never compare a console to the PC. You will get splattered & left to rot under a bus. My Radeon 3850 makes Fallout 3 look like its playing on a XB720 or PS4 and that card is 2 generations old and I have at least 8 mods running that quadruple the number of enemies in game. Last I checked the PS3 had trouble maintaining 30fps in vanilla Fallout 3 at about medium PC settings.

Fallout 3 is one of the worst looking games this gen on consoles..

Play killzone 2 and then come back and say the ps3 can't handle good graphics.

mM
leo-j said:

Fallout 3 is one of the worst looking games this gen on consoles..

Play killzone 2 and then come back and say the ps3 can't handle good graphics.

Youre comparing a game with tiny maps in Killzone to a game with a huge world in Fallout.. but youre not seriously saying that the PS3 has better video are you? No matter how good the cell is, its basically 3 generations older than todays video cards. Again my Radeon 3850 which I purchased for $79 back in 2007 runs Fallout 3 without any mods at higher framerates and at better quality than modern consoles...

The reason I use Fallout for comparison is its multiplatform and the reason you think it looks bad is because it had to be toned down for your console. For people who play on the PC however there are no limits and they are being pushed even farther every day. The funny part is that I can give you a modded version of Morrowind (thats Morrowind not the newer Oblivion) that would never run on either the PS3 or 360 because niether would be able to handle the upgraded textures, models, and the sheer size and detail of the game.

But Saboteur looks like crap? I don't get it ...