By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 smoothing beyond that of high-end PC graphics card

almcchesney said:
hey richardhutnik pulling a multiplat is like grabbing a game on windows 95 and trying to play it on windows xp and complaining its inferior because of bugs due to compatibility issues, if a multiplat where to be re-written for both consoles and "optimized" i have no doubts which one would take the cake, and OP thats a good article not too much new though, recently i did a research paper for my college course over the cell broadband architecture and since 2007 all the articles said that it would be faster and more efficient than any processor out there, (its actually being utilized in the worlds second fastest computer in the world). but the thing is getting the talent to utilize it.

Fastest at what though? The Cell is fantastic for some operations and is a very powerful processor but it has been somewhat shoehorned into its gaming role and isn't a perfect architecture for it.

Around the Network

^ Quincunx is sooo GeForce 4 hehehe.

And... The Saboteur? The game that is not compatible with ATI video cards for an unknown reason?

After a small research I found out that theres nothing that would forbid devs using this technology on X360 or PC.
(However I have no time to dig deeper this time. I have to continue creating my fractal world generation.)

Suddenly seems every SONY hater is a fucking expert at graphics,hehe.

Oh yes, thank you for a very well thought out and convincing rebuttal, but come on whats with that american comment>>??

Around the Network

the game with the best smoothing ever was pong, that game has like 128xAA! try to apply AA filters to it and you'll see, it won't improve the smothing at all... the game design is superb.

that is just to say.... lower graphics with higher AA is nothing special.... If the cell is used for AA, than that much processing power isn't used for other tasks...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The Cell is a very powerful monstrosity of a processor.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

@richard hutnik, multi platforms are in my opinion a bad way to judge the capabilities of two pieces of hardware, because it usually comes down to what the dev's prefer and what they are more comftorble with and the how knowledgeable with each. sabatour for instance does AA well on the ps3 and looked superior to the 360 vers in that aspect, one of the reasons being is that there was no AA for the 360, but that does not make the ps3 superior, either the devs didnt want to, or didnt know how to incorporate it. in the end it still is put on the devs and not the hardware itself.

@Rath it actually is a well thought out architecture and is perfect for gaming. as shown in U2 offloading the graphics too the SPU's is very efficient, and still able to process AI and Collision effectively. the only problem with the architecture is that the SPU's must constantly be fed with data, so its up to the devs to keep the workload balanced effectively.

one of my sources for my reasearch paper is this article
http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cell/Cell0_v2.html
his conclusion sums it up nicely.

Uncharted 2/Killzone 2 already said a lot about CELL.

And I think Next generation game(only 3 year,it's a another next gen already) is in the work too,Bluray 3D+PS Wand,could there be an Uncharted 3-3D or God of war 3-3D OR a freshing new IP using the 3D and PS Wand together???

Hope there's an ARPG using PS Wand and Bluray 3D tec together.

After playing Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2,Gotta say Cell is a fucking great CPU,and shity devs can shup up and start learning now,you just still don't know how to use it,that's all.