By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So we see that this site undertracks the XBOX 360- why?

Gnizmo said:
DaBuddahN said:

I've been reading the thread since it started. That still doesn't explain why you ever brought up the whole shipment thing. If MS said they've shipped 39mil 360's, then they've shipped 39mil 360's. Companies like Ninty, MS and Sony usually ship their hardware in advanced. Also, I understand your position on 2mil being too high, but, I wanted to point out that his magic 3mil figure was pulled directly out of his ass, because according to basic math, the answer simply is not 3mil.

Now, if he really did OBJECTIVELY consider ship vs sold, he would've that his 1.5mil number is total bs. Since we can safely say that with the extra weeks data, the difference will be 2mil, that means, that according to ioi, 1.5mil on shelves is possible, it is undertracked by 500k, not 1.5mil. Personally, I don't think that's the case... I think MS overshipped the damn console because they expected higher sales. In any case, if there is a discrepancy, it would be in Others, since the PS3 was beating out the 360 by very large margins.

Now for the bolded part..  I was the first one to bring up the 2mil number... How can you possibly imply I am expecting the number to be below 2mil? The point is this, if there are adjustments to be made, they will be made. I still don't see the reason why he needed to barge in here and accuse VGC of purposely slacking off or undertracking. 

I continue to point this out, but for some reason you aren't reading it. I am not saying he is right. I am saying he has a point. Him being aggressive about pointing it out does not invalidate the claim. I don't see why you have to shut down anyone who has a question about the numbers that is valid. You continue to dance around the heart of the matter, and just try to dismiss it out of hand. That is far worse that an agressive accusation.

I am not shutting it down. You are seeing what you want to see, and totally misinterpreting me. MY point is that his number is waaaay too big. Anyone with basic math skills can figure it out! I would've understood him saying 500k or something, but not 1.5mil undertracked! 

Also, I know you aren't agreeing with him, but I am pointing out to you why I think he is wrong! It seems to me you are shutting down my claim, and overplaying his. I would LOVE ioi to comment, because I too have some questions about it, but it doesn't change the fact his numbers are inflated. Math does not lie.  

Around the Network

I posted this in another thread, but didn't get an answer. So I post it here again, please give me your thoughts.

okay, I think we need to clear up how many consoles on the shelves is normal.

2 million would be enough to sell the Xbox 360 till the end of march without any shortages.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Jan 2009 to 21st Mar 2009:

Console X360
Total

That is what the Xbox 360 sold in 2009 right after the big price cut in September 2008. So in 2010 2 million consoles would be enough to satisfy demand for 3 months from now.

And please don't forget MS said + (!!!) 39 million consoles. Could be 39.3 million or whatever.

Are so many consoles placed at retail normal?

So is 2 million @ stores normal? How many PS3s are placed at retail right now? When 2 million Xbox 360s are normal, 3 million PS3s shouldn't be that far off, since it sold at a faster rate for the past couple of months.

And yeah, 5 million Wiis wouldn't be impossible either,..

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Gnizmo said:
DaBuddahN said:

This.

Gnizmo, you're speaking as if we are well into the year already. Of course we are still going to be seeing the effect over an over-stuffed market. It's been a week since January 2nd, this haven't changed much, and I do expect the shipments to drop, but you won't see them affecting the huge Holidays shipments in a week! 

No, I am speaking as if we are right where we are for the year in sales. You don't ship massive quantities of consoles when they aren't going to sell for no reason. I can't imagine they would keep sending them in the same hige number after the holiday spike. The more sensible approach would be start sending them in mid november, and taper it off around mid to late december right before demand spikes, and drops. There is still very possibly a large supply, but the last time I recall ioi commenting on shipped vs retail figures was about now a year or 2 back.

I see where you are coming from, and I understand your logic. But shipments are estimates based on demand, and if the overestimated demand, then you have stuffed channels.

DaBuddahN said:

I am not shutting it down. You are seeing what you want to see, and totally misinterpreting me. MY point is that his number is waaaay too big. Anyone with basic math skills can figure it out! I would've understood him saying 500k or something, but not 1.5mil undertracked! 

Also, I know you aren't agreeing with him, but I am pointing out to you why I think he is wrong! It seems to me you are shutting down my claim, and overplaying his. I would LOVE ioi to comment, because I too have some questions about it, but it doesn't change the fact his numbers are inflated. Math does not lie.  

Forgive my slight over-zealousness. In a 110 post thread, there were mostly people ignoring his point becuse they didn't bother reading it. Looking at the numbers I do agree his estimation is off.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

numonex said:
Falcon204 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Falcon204 said:
Vgchartz isn't the most reliable source but it does give a good indication to where sales might be. As a consumer sales are the most overrated piece of information there is so I wouldn't take it to heart.

I'm not sure of much better ones.

I dont remember saying there is better ones out there. So you might want to get your info right.

If you do not like the site there is the door. The admins do the best they can to track the sales numbers of the hardware and software with the information they obtain from various sources. There is no need to attack the site's credibility 

Here is the door, to be precise:

OT: It could be undertracked a little, but I doubt that only you know this mysterious number, and the people with the data don't.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

I posted this in another thread, but didn't get an answer. So I post it here again, please give me your thoughts.

okay, I think we need to clear up how many consoles on the shelves is normal.

2 million would be enough to sell the Xbox 360 till the end of march without any shortages.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 04th Jan 2009 to 21st Mar 2009:

Console X360
Total

That is what the Xbox 360 sold in 2009 right after the big price cut in September 2008. So in 2010 2 million consoles would be enough to satisfy demand for 3 months from now.

And please don't forget MS said + (!!!) 39 million consoles. Could be 39.3 million or whatever.

Are so many consoles placed at retail normal?

So is 2 million @ stores normal? How many PS3s are placed at retail right now? When 2 million Xbox 360s are normal, 3 million PS3s shouldn't be that far off, since it sold at a faster rate for the past couple of months.

And yeah, 5 million Wiis wouldn't be impossible either,..

I think Jack said that there were possibilities of PS3 shortages. Also, seeing as how the 360 almost outsold the PS3 by 100k in NA, I expect this to be true. The 120 GB model barely met demand from what we saw.

Gnizmo said:
DaBuddahN said:

Forgive my slight over-zealousness. In a 110 post thread, there were mostly people ignoring his point becuse they didn't bother reading it. Looking at the numbers I do agree his estimation is off.

=) I am glad we are at an understanding. How let's be friends.

39 million will be the total number of 360s sold as of March 31, 2010. The end of the 2009/10 fiscal year. 2 million 360s sold over the next three months seems reasonable to me.

tut tut tut such a noob

no idea how to make this properly work

I have read arguments here on VGC before that consoles on shelves are usually between 0.5 to 1.5 million.

+2 million X360s on retailers shelves sounds very strange, being right after the Holiday season. How can retailers have accepted to over-stock the retail channel with over 2 million X360s, knowing since August last year that it's the PS3 Slim that is most sought after by consumers? I don't buy it.